Matagorda Bay Natural Park

What's Your Favorite Campground? Need Information on Fuel Prices, Campground Ratings, Campgrounds available in the area you are traveling??? This is the place to look!!

Moderator: Olbird

6x5er

Matagorda Bay Natural Park

Post by 6x5er »

We just spent 5 days at this park which is a Lower Colorado River Authority (LCRA) park located on Matagorda Island, Texas where the Colorado River enters the gulf. Here's some info...

1. The park is exceptionally clean.
2. All sites are 30 or 50 AMP and have full hookups with sewer.
3. Pads are concrete, level and each site has a picnic table on gravel with no cover.
4. No trees on any sites.
5. No campfires allowed. You can use a small BBQ pit or hibachi
6. Some sites are pull through. Our site was backed up to the river but could see the gulf as well.
7. The park is very quiet. It's one of those parks that you have to want to go to...you don't just drive by.
8. We understood that there is no swimming at the beach any time because of extremely strong undercurrents but some locals told us that there is swimming and that on the left side of the gulf pier, the water clears and is great for swimming.
9. It's a great park to get away, fish and bird watch. The town Matagorda is not a tourist town with a lot of shops, etc. There are a couple of small grocery stores. The people are very nice and hospitable.
10. Good cell phone coverage and local TV channel reception. Satellite did well.
11. It didn't smell fishy. All fish must be cleaned on the piers and the remains thrown back in the river. I'm not sure if that's why it didn't smell fishy or because it's December. :P
12. I'm not sure how mosquitos would be in warmer weather. We didn't have any problems with insects.
13. There are 2 small piers on the river and 1 long pier out into the gulf. None of the piers are lighted at night.

We have 2 teenagers - a son and daughter. Our son enjoyed the fishing, our daughter was disappointed that there wasn't more shopping in the area 8). We did have great family time together, time to just "veg out", time to fish, time to watch birds and beachcomb...so a great trip and we'll definitely return in the future.
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Thanks for the report 6x5er, I looked up the island on a map and it certainly looks like an interesting place. Do you have any camping pictures?

I am a little confused though. Having grown up in Southern California I can remember many trips to the Colorado River. The Colorado River I know empties into the Gulf of California and is the California/Arizona border.

Rob
6x5er

Post by 6x5er »

The Colorado River in Texas begins in northwest Texas, feeds into the lakes near and through Austin and then on to the coast. Not quite the Colorado River of the Grand Canyon...but still a pretty river.

I'm having trouble getting my pictures to load but the website link is below. This park is on the Matagorda Pennisula...not to be confused with the Matagorda Island State Park that is only accessible by boat.

http://www.matagordabayrv.com/
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Post by Don Wilson »

6X5er,

Since Colorado means "red" in spanish and there is a Red River in Texas does that mean Texas has two red rivers. :lol: The area you are talking about sounds like a neat place to visit. There are several places in Texas I hope to visit in my RV travels in the future, Big Bend NP, San Antonio, and now Matagorda Island state park.

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Don, As I note the California campers often want to camp near wineries I recommend you also put Fredricksburg on your Texas destination list just NW of San Antonio. That area has the highest concentration of wineries in Texas and several are now competing and sometimes winning national competitions.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

Boy you got that right Bruce!!! I still cannot find a match for that Muscat Caneli <sp> from Sister's Creek.

Virg has already put Fred'bg on the list on our way home from Alb'q in August.

When we were there, I think we counted 26 wineries. Fredericksburg is a town anyone would enjoy spending the day, strolling down Main street, having lunch in one of the several German restaurants and cafe's, and shopping!! Highly recommend! The LBJ ranch is just down the road, ya gotta go to Luckenbach, Bandera, TX, the cowboy capital of the world....very very interesting hill country of Texas! Only about 2 hours from San Antonio.
campswithcritters
exempt member

Luizianna wrote:Boy you got that right Bruce!!! I still cannot find a match for that Muscat Caneli <sp> from Sister's Creek.
Linda, Sharon & I will be traveling around texas later this month, if we get into that area I'll give you a call to take your order with delivery scheduled early March in Tyler. 8)
Double D's
Cardinal Owners: 2013 3675 Cardinal 5th Wheel

Post by Double D's »

Bruce and Linda, we have Fredericksburg on OUR list of places to hit on the way to Tyler, as well.
Can't say enough about that F-burg area! The shopping is FAB, for antique shops as well as clothing, jewelry, wine, etc and the HEB grocery store has fantastic, fresh produce and anything else you could want.. For the gardeners, the Wildseed Farm store is great as well. They also carry wines, cheeses other things such as dip mixes as well as decorative items for the home and jewelry, etc. Quite a place! (Do I sound like a commercial????)
LOVE THAT AREA!
Hope to see lots of folks from the Way Out West at the Tyler Rally! Donna
http://www.ddbalfanz.blogspot.com/

Double D's - Dennis and Donna

2013 Cardinal 3675- The "Double D Retreat"
Trail Air Pin Box and Suspension
2007 Chevy Dually 3500, Duramax
Rallies - 20
Days out in 2015- 145
Days out in 2014 - 71
Days out in 2013 - 187 Alaska
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

Sounds like a winner to me Bruce!!!!! Thanks!
campswithcritters
exempt member

No problem Linda, if we go through the area consider it done.
Donna, Still have to work one more time before Tyler, we're just going cruising around TX for fun this time. Tyler is first weekend after my next arrival so no time to goof off getting there.
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

6x5er, my most sincere apologies for hijacking your very informative thread about Matagorda Island, Texas !!

I seem to do that a lot and my thread hijacker policeman didn't catch me this time (Bruce, you are slipping!) :P lol
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Post by Don Wilson »

I think Bruce was an accomplice in stealing this thread. He just got started bragging about Texas and couldn't stop himself.

Fredricksburg sounds like a great place to put on the list of places to visit, while in Texas. Now the list is Fredricksburg, Big Bend NP, San Antonio, Matagorda Island state park and my sister said I had to include Padre Island as well!

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

Ya know....maybe we didn't hijack this thread....we are still talkin about the great state of Texas and all the great things to do and say there!!

Don, if you go to San Antonio....be sure to give yourself a day to walk along the river walk....
campswithcritters
exempt member

Luizianna wrote:Ya know....maybe we didn't hijack this thread....we are still talkin about the great state of Texas and all the great things to do and say there!!
Yes we are still talkin TX, but yes we also hijacked the thread and I am guilty as accomplice.

Sorry 6X5er, but thanks for starting something gettin folks chattin.
6x5er

Post by 6x5er »

Not a hijack..just an unplanned side trip and as campers we know side trips are always fun and interesting. :D

We have family in Fredricksburg, Sisterdale and Boerne so really enjoyed this side trip.