Disney Fort Wilderness, FL

What's Your Favorite Campground? Need Information on Fuel Prices, Campground Ratings, Campgrounds available in the area you are traveling??? This is the place to look!!

Moderator: Olbird

BarryA

Disney Fort Wilderness, FL

Post by BarryA »

We've been considering staying a week +- next December at Disney's Fort Wilderness ( before the 17th when all the kids are on vacation down there).
Any recommendations?
Firejab

Re: Disney Fort Wilderness, FL

Post by Firejab »

Fort wilderness is a great place around Christmas time. Many campers are there for the month and set up cargo trailers full of decorations around their RV's. It is truley a beautiful sight to see. Make your reservation early, I am sure they fill up fast.
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

You wont go wrong that's for sure!! I hear they've been doing some remodeling there, making the sites bigger. It is a definate must do in my book.
flojoe
Cardinal Owners: 08 33SB LE

Post by flojoe »

We were there 1st week in March. We were in the section for pet owners. They were in the process of enlarging the concrete pads @ some of the sites. Our camper is 36' long and my husband had a very hard time getting our camper into the site because of the trees there were on each side of the site (and I mean verrrrry close to where you back your camper in---on each side), and it being on his blind (passenger) side didn't help any either. It was such a tight fit, it was even difficult pulling our camper out of the site on departure day. On the plus side, our site was near a bus stop which made it very nice to go to to the various places @ Disney. We literally did not drive our truck at all from Mon-Thursday. The boat @ the marina is the best way to get to Magic Kingdom. If you've never seen the Hoop De Doo Show there on Ft. Wilderness, I highly recommend it. Before we checked out, we asked if we could ask for a specific site if we were to go back again (there were many other sites that would not have been difficult parking in), but we were told that they don't do that. We know others who stayed @ Ft. Wilderness & they had a great site with no diffulty getting their camper parked.
'08 33SB LE Cardinal Fifth Wheel
'05 Dodge 3500 Diesel, 2WD, SB
markj
Cardinal Owners: Cardinal 31RKLE

Post by markj »

Hi flojoe:

We'll be in Orlando probably next February. Are reservations needed then? Would you say that is the best RV park when visiting Disney & attractions?
2007 Cardinal 31RKLE
Hijacker 21K underfloor mount
Fifth Airborne pin box
2006 Ford F350 PSD extended cab
1990 Seaswirl fishing boat!
Kiki (the cat)
flojoe
Cardinal Owners: 08 33SB LE

Post by flojoe »

I would definitely make reservations. February is a very busy time of year for Florida. Lots of people spend the winter months there. I didn't want to drive all that way and then find out we couldn't get a site. We were there the 1st week in March and there were hardly any empty sites @ Ft. Wilderness that week. We thought about going to Ft. Summit (I think that's a KOA campground) but decided to go with Ft. Wilderness because of it being inside Disney and they told us their bus inside the campground ran about every 20-30 minutes (and they were right). Ft. Summit would have been less expensive & as I recall had pull thru sites, but having never been to Disney World before, I was trying to make it as convenient for me & hubby as I could. Ft. Summit had transportation to Disney world, but they picked you up @ 9:00 and brought you back @ 6:00. That seemed like too long a day for us with our physical limitations.
'08 33SB LE Cardinal Fifth Wheel
'05 Dodge 3500 Diesel, 2WD, SB
Cookie Mom
Cardinal Owners: 2009 3802BH

Post by Cookie Mom »

We were at Fort Wilderness this past Christmas. It was quite an experience and one that I most definitely intend to repeat in the future, with a couple of modifications:

1. Reserving one of the new premium sites as they are longer and possibly wider. Our Cardinal fiver is 40 ft long with 5 slides. Although we fit in the site we
had, it was tight.
2. We will plan on New Years Eve day (and night) being a "down day" from the parks. We saw how jammed it was before we went into the Magic Kingdom so we got back on the boat and went back to the campground.
3. Next time we're going to do a dining plan. We had planned to eat certain meals out (Christmas Eve and Day, New Years Eve and a Character breakfast), but that combined with the few counter meals that we ate at the parks, it will be cheaper for us to do a dining plan next time.
scottydog

Post by scottydog »

We've been to Fort Disney twice. Like everything else in Disney it is very clean. posting.php?mode=reply&f=15&t=3309# Expect to pay for any extras you might use i.e. the internet. We were in a premium site and still had to pay an access fee.posting.php?mode=reply&f=15&t=3309# Take Christmas directions, if you're into that, because almost everyone there is decorated. Enjoy!
rvthereyet

Post by rvthereyet »

We been there twice and loved it, this time(over Easter) we had one of there premium sites and had access to the private showers which worked great since we had eight people in our group. We were there for one week and the site ran $834.00 and some change would highly recommend it.
surveyman

Post by surveyman »

For $834 I assume you got passes into the park or was that just the camping fee?
rvthereyet

Post by rvthereyet »

It was just the campground but with full hook-up, cable TV and private shower access.
Cookie Mom
Cardinal Owners: 2009 3802BH

Post by Cookie Mom »

I buy our park tickets online because it's cheaper. There are many reputable sites; the one I bought our tickets for our trip this past Christmas was www.undercovertourist.com. I went in through the www.mousesavers.com website because it was cheaper that way. You might consider buying your tickets before this coming Sunday, August 2nd because the prices are increasing for all Disney tickets on that date.
rvthereyet

Post by rvthereyet »

Another place were you can by tickets is http://www.mapleleaftickets.com/