Sequoia Natl Forest - Yosemite

What's Your Favorite Campground? Need Information on Fuel Prices, Campground Ratings, Campgrounds available in the area you are traveling??? This is the place to look!!

Moderator: Olbird

BoonesRV
Cardinal Owners: CAF30MK 2009

Sequoia Natl Forest - Yosemite

Post by BoonesRV »

We are going to Mammoth Ca (June Lake) the last of July and then on to Sequoia National Forest. Anyone know how the roads are through Yosmite National Forest. Also, know of any good campgounds in the area.
Torben

Re: Sequoia Natl Forest - Yosemite

Post by Torben »

We have traveled hiway 120 from Yosemite to Lee vinig many times with our 5th wheel , you should not have any trouble if you take it easy. On the eastern side before you get to Lee Vinig you have a long very step grade so be careful. When you cross over the Sierra you will see some of the most beautiful scenery . and of course Yosemite is like no other place. We stayed at Upper Pines campground in Yosemite Valley it is very tight so use caution . We stay in Oakhust when we went to Sequoia because the road is very winding and I don't recommend you take the trailer. I hope this helped .
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Re: Sequoia Natl Forest - Yosemite

Post by Chief409 »

We have stayed at OH Ridge (by June Lake) and Convict Lake (south of Mammoth Lakes) and would recommend either. They are USFS campgrounds, so it's dry camping. And, with any trailer much over 30', you might have difficulty getting a spot. And no pull-throughs. During the summer, I'd recommend a reservation.

If you don't have it, here is the web address for the USFS campgrounds in the area:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation ... unds.shtml

There are also commercial campgrounds further south by Bishop.

Going to Sequoia National Forest, heading south down US 395 from June Lake, take Hwy 178 over Walker Pass. Keep in mind going down the west side of Walker Pass, there are tight curves on a steep downhill grade, so drive accordingly. The Lake Isabella KOA is a nice campground along the way. Anyway, Hwy 152 from Kernville is a nice drive through the mountains, and will take you to Sequoia National Forest.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.