New Orleans

What's Your Favorite Campground? Need Information on Fuel Prices, Campground Ratings, Campgrounds available in the area you are traveling??? This is the place to look!!

Moderator: Olbird

Firejab

New Orleans

Post by Firejab »

Looking to stay in New Orleans for New Years and for the Sugar Bowl. Has anyone ever stayed at pontchartrain Landing RV Park?
Luizianna

Re: New Orleans

Post by Luizianna »

That rv park is in New Orleans East and you do not want to stay there. I wouldn't.

There is a very nice state park across the river on the westbank, Bayou Segnette State Park. Just off the Westbank Expressway in Westwego

To get to New Orleans you just get on the elevated Expressway and after you cross the Greater New Orleans Bridge....you are in the Heart of New Orleans!...maybe a 15 minute ride...if that long and depending on traffic. If you happen to be over the age of62 and possess a Golden Age card/America the Beautiful I think they are called now...you can camp at any LA state park for 9.00 a night. Water/Electric only tho...no full hookups. Good Luck and Enjoy!! I've heard New Years eve in the quarter was awesome!
Firejab

Post by Firejab »

Thanks for your reply Luizianna we had a change in plans. We are still going but will be staying in a hotel instead. As much as I love using our 5th wheel pulling it 600 miles each way for just a couple days isn't practical ($$$). Looking forward to New Years Eve on Bourbon St. and the Sugar Bowl.
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Firejab, I was born and raised just outside of New Orleans and they do not have any safe campgrounds within the New Orleans area.

With that said find a campground outside the NO area, they have a few across lake pontchartrain or on the Westbank.
They also have a state park in St Bernard, all the places would be 30 to 50 miles from the Superdome and French Quarter.

New Orleans is a safe place to visit and have a good time, but like any large city they have problem areas. My advise is to always walk down streets that have crowds, never take short cuts on non crowded streets or you will get mugged.
You will have to park and walk and it gets very crowded in the French Quarter for the Sugar Bowl and New Years Eve Baby Drop. Stay around the crowds and you will have a great time.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

lol George...I was gonna post that they sure were brave, but didn't want to scare them to death! 'there is actually a new rv park right in the French Quarter....if you brave enuff to drive in that part of the city with all the one way streets and cars parked on each side...but from the pics I've seen big motorhomes get in there.

Even tho they've decided to get a hotel in the quarter...still be very very careful and like George said...stay on well occupied streets...don't take shortcuts, and if you decide to visit some of the famous cemetaries...please please go in a group! Those tombs are a work of art...and big and tall and thugs like to hide behind them waiting for a target. Make sure you get some cafe au lait and beignet's at Cafe Dumond, sit in the outdoor area if it isn't too cold and just take in the sughts and sounds of New Orleans. My favorite time is early early in the morning before it gets crowded.
Firejab

Post by Firejab »

Guys thanks for all of the information. I checked into that RV park in the French Quarter and they wanted $199.00 per night. We are staying at a Marriott about 3 blocks from the convention center for less money. I am very familiar with what goes on in the inner cities, I have been a firefighter in the city of Tampa for almost 27 years. We too have our problem spots and we will be sure to watch our step. I look forward to making one of the rally's when I retire in 30 months ( who's counting) and again thanks for the helpful information and concern. Joe