Oregon State Parks Question

What's Your Favorite Campground? Need Information on Fuel Prices, Campground Ratings, Campgrounds available in the area you are traveling??? This is the place to look!!

Moderator: Olbird

Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Oregon State Parks Question

Post by Chief409 »

I'm in the last planning stages for our trip to the North West this summer, three whole weeks worth! North along US395, cut over to Klamith Falls, take US97 to Levenworth, US2 to Snohomish County, park at Lake Goodwin for a week and head back south down 101 and then cutting over to I5 so we can visit Terry's folks in Paradise, CA and then to home. Right now I'm looking at getting down to the Oregon coast at Astoria around July 6 - 7. Are the state parks, Fort Stevens, Cape Lookout, etc. generally full after the 4th of July holiday, or can I expect to be able to find a spot without a reservation.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Re: Oregon State Parks Question

Post by Mike Clay »

Well Fort Stevens is almost always full you can go on line and try to book a spot now.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

Mike Clay wrote:Well Fort Stevens is almost always full you can go on line and try to book a spot now.
I thought that might be the case. We haven't been to the Oregon coast since '83, so I'm hoping to amble down the road sight seeing and look for the nearest park in the afternoon, without a fixed schedule. There are plenty of commercial parks, but that gets expensive.

So it'll be the Internet and cell phone, and try to get a reservation for the next day I guess.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Hi Jeff, Mike is right, Fort Stevens SP is the most popular park in Oregon and even though it's huge it's very busy. With that said a lot depends on when you arrive and how long you want to stay. It's diffidently worth a stop to check availability and if you're flexible you may just find a spot. Also right across the road form Fort Stevens is a very large KOA with an indoor pool. Another alternative is Cape Disappointment (formerly Fort Canby) State Park across the Columbia in Washington which was the sister fort guarding the entrance to the river. Cape Disappointment is newly remodeled with large full hookup sites with two lighthouses to explore.

If you'd like to get together sometime during your NW travels and meet at the parks please let my know and who knows maybe we can get other northwesters into to joining us.

Rob
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

The KOA that is right across the street is very high they turn into an over flow for Fort Stevens and charge you an arm and a leg for parking in a field which is where most of their sites are.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

Cape Disappointment sounds good, there is also a Military RV camp, just down the road to the south. For this leg of the trip the intent is to sight see and poke around, and not stick to that firm a schedule. Are the other Oregon State parks further south usually full after the 4th holiday?

Getting together sounds great. While we're in Snohomish County we'll be visiting family and checking out how much has changed since we were last there. I'd park at my sisters place in Granite Falls (they bought it from the folks), but I'd have to dry camp and run the generator or a long extension cord. In the old days that wouldn't be a problem, but I don't have a clue about the area now. If it's OK, we'll be at the house, and out of the RV park at Lake Goodwin in a New York second!
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

I got lucky and made reservations at Cape Disappointment SP today for July 6 - 8. There were three Large Trailer/Motor Home, FHU sites left, the other 57 LgTrailer/MH sites at the park were already booked. Washington SP (at least this one) has pictures of the sites, nice touch. Expensive though for a State Park, $77 for two nights. I haven't been out that way since Junior High, and we tent camped then in sand dunes up the coast a bit. :D
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

yeh it is im paying that for mt hood rv resort this weekend but what the heck
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Chief409 wrote:I got lucky and made reservations at Cape Disappointment SP today for July 6 - 8.
I made my reservation today so we'll see you there Jeff. :thumbrt:

Rob
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

Rob, Terry and I are looking forward to meeting you all. We'll be in Site 29.

Reservations fill up a long time in advance there.

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

They sure do Jeff. Both Cape Disappointment and Grayland state parks on the coast are very popular.

Rob