Suggestions? For Mississippi, Alabama & Gulf Coast

What's Your Favorite Campground? Need Information on Fuel Prices, Campground Ratings, Campgrounds available in the area you are traveling??? This is the place to look!!

Moderator: Olbird

dfredendall
Council, Moderator
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3350RLX- Luxury Edition

Suggestions? For Mississippi, Alabama & Gulf Coast

Post by dfredendall »

We want to head South in June to spend more time along the Gulf Coast in June. We have a wedding in Beaumont, TX mid-June, so are looking to spend time along the coast and areas north, hooking back to Texas. Probably will drop south via I-40 or I-20 from Calif. I'd welcome recommendations for site seeing and loafing in AL, MS, Fl, LA.
Dana & Cindy Fredendall
Highland, California
2018 3350RLX- Luxury Edition
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7 Diesel
There are great experiences and new friends everywhere we go!
Torben

Re: Suggestions? For Mississippi, Alabama & Gulf Coast

Post by Torben »

When you are on the I-10 in Louisiana, I would recommend staying at Cajun Palms RV Resort in Henderson,LA. The pool has a bar with bar stools in the water, pretty neat and fun. The food at the Cajun restaurant next to the park is great and they will come to your site and pick you up in a golf cart . If you are going to tour the Plantations, I would recommend staying at Felix Poche Plantation RV Resort in Convent on the Mississippi river, be sure sure to ask the owner Mark about the history of the park, very interesting to say the least. There is no office every thing is done over the cell phone, but he will come and see you doing your stay .From there we toured 6 plantations in the area. I would recommend a trip up to Natches and the battlefield of Vicksburg, and stay at River View Park in Vidalia , LA , right on the river, that is were we had the Rally in October. Hope this was a little help.
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Torben, if you spend any more time down south you and Patty can become tour guides.
It is a great area with some good eating, but the people do talk funny LOL =)) .

OK, I can say that because I still talk funny after being gone from that area 15 years.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
ski boy
Cardinal Owners: Americana GS 38/39 RL3

Post by ski boy »

I would suggest Gulf State Park in Gulf Shores, Alabama - beautiful park near the beach, has its own 18 hole golf course (20 bucks or less if you're camping) lots of things to do - Naval Air Museum (free and fantastic!) in Pensacola (30 minutes.) Lots of large pull-through sites. We had a great time!
2009 Americana GS 38/39
08 Dodge 3500 Dually, Stick, K&N Intake, South Bend clutch kit, Cummins, Quad Cab, 4x4, 20K Star Performance Hitch
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

Keep us posted and when dates are firmed up maybe the "Dixie Birds" can all flock together at the same rv park you will be in!!
dfredendall
Council, Moderator
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3350RLX- Luxury Edition

Post by dfredendall »

Awesome tips everybody. We already were looking at Natchez Trace and Vicksburg. The Pensecola Coastal area is a target too. I love this forum...!
Dana & Cindy Fredendall
Highland, California
2018 3350RLX- Luxury Edition
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7 Diesel
There are great experiences and new friends everywhere we go!
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

Dana...the Naval/Air Museum in Pensacola is very interesting and if you do stay in the Gulf Shores area you MUST, HAVE TO, DON'T MISS, going to Lambert's for a meal!! Good ole home cooking, plus they throw your rolls to you!! The food is actually very good and two people could eat off one plate they put so much food!
stevesmith
Cardinal Owners: 2009 3804BH

Post by stevesmith »

I second the motion on Gulf Shores state park. If you venture over to Mobile the USS Alabama is at Battleship memorial park. Depending on when you come through, the botanical gardens can be very nice.

Lambert's is pretty cool just watch your head! If your a Buffett fan then sis has a real nice place: LuLu's of Homeport. And although it doesn't look like much, the Gulf Shores Steamer had the best food we had while down there. If you are wanting to stay closer to I-20 Oak Mtn. State park is decent and has a golf course on site as well.

In FL we have stayed at TopSail Hill SP and at "Camping on the Gulf". Both are very nice. Camping on the Gulf is a little pricey and can be difficult geting rigs longer than 30ft. into the sites but they pack some 45's into some othe sites.

In MS we stayed at the Campground at Barnes Crossing in Tupelo, MS. and it was decent, near the Nachez. You can check out Elvis's birth place and they have a really nice Automobile museum. Several state parks and othe RV parks in the area as well.
Steve & Rebecca Smith
2000 F350 DRW 7.3L D
2009 Cardinal 3804 BH
B&W hitch w/ 5th Wheel Companion
Ride Rite Firestone Air Bags (Rear)