Camping on the Gulf, Destin, FL

What's Your Favorite Campground? Need Information on Fuel Prices, Campground Ratings, Campgrounds available in the area you are traveling??? This is the place to look!!

Moderator: Olbird

stevesmith
Cardinal Owners: 2009 3804BH

Camping on the Gulf, Destin, FL

Post by stevesmith »

http://www.campgulf.com/

Camping on the Gulf is right on the beach in Destin, FL. There are two basic section of the campground, the upper, grass section and the lower Beach section. The upper grass section has very nice sites with level concrete pads and patio. The sites give you ample space but most sites have very little vegitation for privacy between sites. All of these sites are perpendicular to the road and the road is kind of tight. It can be difficult to bigger rigs in these sites but the campground always has at least one staff member assit with parking (sometimes this is a good thing and some times, not so much). Bath houses are very nice and decently roomy and each is built like a family room with potty, shower and sink in every stall. The lower Beach area sites are mostly sand and have full hook ups except for the 10 to 15 sites that are directly on the beach which only have elec. and water. There is a pretty good camp store and activity building with a secondary store, two pools, fitness center and business center. They are very strict on the speed limit in this park (even on a bike). Because this campground is so tight, it has a little "stiff" feeling and is not as kid friendly as some others but is a nice place, especially if you want to be right on the beach. It is pricey, approaching or over $100/nt for beach sites during prime season. Upper sites during prime season run around $70 or $80.
Steve & Rebecca Smith
2000 F350 DRW 7.3L D
2009 Cardinal 3804 BH
B&W hitch w/ 5th Wheel Companion
Ride Rite Firestone Air Bags (Rear)
Luizianna

Re: Camping on the Gulf, Destin, FL

Post by Luizianna »

WE stayed at this campground...i hated it, my daughter loves it...lol but she loves the beach...I did not like it taking months to finally not find SAND in my camper!!!...they neighbors sewer was under our picnic table...yuck AND our awning almost touched the camper next to us!!

Topsail...I loved!! Far enuf from the beach you didn't track sand in and enuff space between campers to be comfortable!!
stevesmith

Post by stevesmith »

Luizianna wrote:WE stayed at this campground...i hated it, my daughter loves it...lol but she loves the beach...I did not like it taking months to finally not find SAND in my camper!!!...they neighbors sewer was under our picnic table...yuck AND our awning almost touched the camper next to us!!

Topsail...I loved!! Far enuf from the beach you didn't track sand in and enuff space between campers to be comfortable!!
:thumbrt:
Right there with you. I wanted to post because as you say, some like it and some don't. The upper sites are not nearly as bad as the beach sites. I love the beach and the sand outside doesn't bother me but the park is very tight. Topsail is my top choice here, plus, the way I eat, the bike ride to the beach is necessary exercise. #:-s Parks are about 5 miles apart I think. Thought I would post what I know about the parks we frequent in case passers through are looking for info.
Steve & Rebecca Smith
2000 F350 DRW 7.3L D
2009 Cardinal 3804 BH
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Post by Traveler II »

We also stayed there. We picked a spot right on the beach, not full hook up but it sure was great to look right out on the Gulf. We only stayed one night and moved to the upper portion of the park. After the first night we found not only sand in everything but the salt spray from the Gulf was also over everything. The upper portion of the park the sites our full hook up and larger spaces. I’m glad we did it, even if only for the one night. We still talk about the experience of being right down on the beach.

Another great place in Destin is, Henderson State Park located about 10 miles west of this park. Nice sites, not full hook up but a great place to stay.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
stevesmith

Post by stevesmith »

Traveler II wrote: Another great place in Destin is, Henderson State Park located about 10 miles west of this park. Nice sites, not full hook up but a great place to stay.
And right across from Wal-Mart as I recall (Henderson SP) and what trip would not be complete without visiting the local Wal-Mart.
Steve & Rebecca Smith
2000 F350 DRW 7.3L D
2009 Cardinal 3804 BH
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

We rode thru Henderson while we were there and if we find ourselves in that area again...Henderson is where we will stay.
stevesmith

Post by stevesmith »

I have heard that Grayton Beach SP is about like Henderson. It is small only about 30 or 40 sites I think and is further down 30A. We may check it out later this summer due to Topsail being booked up for the dates we want. Looks decent on Google Earth.
Steve & Rebecca Smith
2000 F350 DRW 7.3L D
2009 Cardinal 3804 BH
dennis1949
Cardinal Owners: 2016. Blue Ridge 3045RL

Post by dennis1949 »

Try Emerald Beach campground at Navare Beach which is right nevt to Destin
Dennis Carpenter
2016. Blue Ridge 3045RL
2012 3/4 GMC Z71 truck
Decatur Al.
stevesmith

Post by stevesmith »

dennis1949 wrote:Try Emerald Beach campground at Navare Beach which is right nevt to Destin
Definitly will look in to it but we have just been so enamored with the 30A area from SRB to Rosemary. We really like the local shop, dinning & clubs. http://www.30a.com/
Steve & Rebecca Smith
2000 F350 DRW 7.3L D
2009 Cardinal 3804 BH
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Post by Traveler II »

Watercolors is a great place to visit, and the seafood is out of this world.
Last edited by Traveler II on Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
stevesmith

Post by stevesmith »

Traveler II wrote:Watercolors is a great to visit, and the seafood is out of this world.
:thumbrt: :thumbrt:
Steve & Rebecca Smith
2000 F350 DRW 7.3L D
2009 Cardinal 3804 BH