Meaher State Park, Mobile, AL

What's Your Favorite Campground? Need Information on Fuel Prices, Campground Ratings, Campgrounds available in the area you are traveling??? This is the place to look!!

Moderator: Olbird

halrkent (Deceased)
Cardinal Owners: 2006 29LE

Meaher State Park, Mobile, AL

Post by halrkent (Deceased) »

Meaher State Park is located 10 miles from downtown Mobile, Alabama. Meaher State Park has 56 new campsites with 20, 30 and 50 amp service with water and sewer. The campground also features a new bathhouse with laundry facilities for overnight campers. Fee: $30.00 per night plus tax. WARNING - they only accept cash payment. This is a newly redone campground (the locals simply call it FEMA money) located on Mobile Bay.
I’m sorry to say the campground is not being kept up or managed properly; although everything is new including the roads. The bathrooms are dirty, no soap, no towels, and the showers haven’t been cleaned in months. Over half the camp sites are filled with campers that are being used as vacation homes. Many of the rest are full timers with other sites just being used for camper storage. The stored campers are parked haphazardly on the side of the campground roads. Many of the vacation homes/campers have just been left leaving broken awnings flapping in the wind. Some full-timers have outside refrigerators, storage buildings and lots of outside covers. This could be one of the nicest campgrounds you might find but I felt like I was camping in the middle of a bone yard (military term for abandoned vehicle storage area). Park has recently raised their fees to counteract these problems (from $100 a week to $150 then in six months $200 a week). I’m not sure if this is going to work. I’ve seen other campgrounds that manage this by limiting camping to 14 days.
Having said all this I’d still stay there. It’s close to the battle ship Alabama and downtown Mobile. The view of the bay is beautiful. They have a boat ramp to launch boats and a nice dock.
Web site: http://www.alapark.com/Meaher/Camping/
Telephone number: 251-626-5529
Address: 5200 Battleship Pkwy E., Spanish Fort, AL 36577
Date: May 21-23, 2010
Hal Kent
2006 Cardinal 29RK-LE
1996 Dodge 2500 V10