Lake Guntersville State Park, Guntersville, AL

What's Your Favorite Campground? Need Information on Fuel Prices, Campground Ratings, Campgrounds available in the area you are traveling??? This is the place to look!!

Moderator: Olbird

stevesmith
Cardinal Owners: 2009 3804BH

Lake Guntersville State Park, Guntersville, AL

Post by stevesmith »

This is our favorite camping spot, primarily due to it's location. It is a very nice state park campground, bathouses are kept relatively clean. The sun sets over the lake looking out from the campground and is a wonderful photo op. Campground has 366 sites, a limited number of which have full hook ups. All 30A. I would guess at least half the sites or more can handle a pretty large rig. Rates are around $25/night. The campground area is coded by letters. A is kind of at the front of the campground and is a small section. B is in the back of the campground and is where most of the full timers and host stay, sites are narrow but many are pull thru. C is off the lake around the palyground, tennis courts, wild life station, basketball courts and is kind of the middle of the park. Many of these site are smaller and on hills, or in valleys so there is not much front/back yard but if you have little ones the proximity to the playground makes these sites the most desireable and often heavily populated. D, E and G are all on the water side. G is our favorite area due to the proximity to the small boat dock. D and E also have a small boat dock and a new modern dock that will accomidate overnight boats and a seperate dock for daytimers tieing off. G has about 3 full hook up sites. F is immediatly behind G and all of F is full hook up as far as I know, we try to get in here if G is full. H is more of an overflow but has improved sites and a bathhouse. It is kind of on a hill but nothing wrong with it. There is primitive. The park has a lodge, cabin, chatels on top of the mountain. In the lodge there is a restaurant which is pretty good. Bird watchers love this area due to the repopulation of the eagles in the area. If you are a boater, the lake is wonderfull although the milfoil can be bad later in the summer. The campground has a beach area and a pavilion that can be rented. The marine police are station here so behave! The only real problem with the campground is power. The power supply is old and was not designed to for modern big rigs. Most of the time you are fine but on extremely hot days, even though their is substatial shading, when everyones A/C is on at the same time, low voltage and/or power overloads can be a problem so a surge/low voltage protector would be desirable.
Here's the link: http://www.alapark.com/LakeGuntersville/Camping/

Also, there is a local camper sales/repair shop that keeps a mobile repair unit. There are 3 or 4 large campgrounds in the area so once they get out they go trolling for business. Rates are very reasonable. I had them fix a water heater I allowed to run....without water in it....on electricty, on one trip. B&M camper. If I have minor things I need done, we will go camping and then call them and have them come to the campsite. Better to be camping during repairs than to have repairs during camping time. I didn't have to use them last year but I am pretty sure they still do this.
Steve & Rebecca Smith
2000 F350 DRW 7.3L D
2009 Cardinal 3804 BH
B&W hitch w/ 5th Wheel Companion
Ride Rite Firestone Air Bags (Rear)