Black Rock Mountain State Park, Mountain City , GA

What's Your Favorite Campground? Need Information on Fuel Prices, Campground Ratings, Campgrounds available in the area you are traveling??? This is the place to look!!

Moderator: Olbird

halrkent (Deceased)
Cardinal Owners: 2006 29LE

Black Rock Mountain State Park, Mountain City , GA

Post by halrkent (Deceased) »

Black Rock Mountain is the highest state park in Georgia at 3,640 ft. July 11, 2010 I camped (with tent) there on my way to a motorcycle club meeting. The drive to the top is not for the faint of heart. The park is on top of a mountain and has a 2-mile steep climb to get there. The road is paved but very steep and curvy. If you’re driving a camper or RV then you might want to call the park campground host before starting your ascent. The host can then stop all downhill traffic so you can use both lanes while driving to the mountain top. Once in the park movement is a challenge because the sites are small and there’s little room to maneuver. My wife says it’s best to get out and walk to find a site. There’s not much space, no road shoulders or few larger sites. Out of the 44 campsites only 10 or so will accept a large camper or RV. Once there you will be treated to cooler temperatures and beautiful vistas.
If you look at the campground map you will notice that right in the middle of the park there’s a large privately owned parcel of land. Black Rock Mountain State Park was first conceived by Rabun County native John V. Arrendale (1878-1972) during the mid 1930’s. Arrendale began efforts to purchase land from a variety of land owners’ one parcel at a time with the first 70-acre tract acquired in 1938. In 1952 he donated the park land to the state with the stipulation that the state build a road to his home.

Black Rock Mountain State Park
3085 Black Rock Mountain Parkway
Mountain City , GA 30562
http://www.gastateparks.org/BlackRockMountain
Hal Kent
2006 Cardinal 29RK-LE
1996 Dodge 2500 V10
Torben

Re: Black Rock Mountain State Park, Mountain City , GA

Post by Torben »

Again Hal, thanks for the very helpful info for this campground. When you post this kind of info it helps everybody out, thanks again. :thumbrt: