Point Mallard Park Campground - Decatur, AL

What's Your Favorite Campground? Need Information on Fuel Prices, Campground Ratings, Campgrounds available in the area you are traveling??? This is the place to look!!

Moderator: Olbird

stevesmith
Cardinal Owners: 2009 3804BH

Point Mallard Park Campground - Decatur, AL

Post by stevesmith »

Point Mallard Park Campground is a city run park and campground. The campground has 217 full hook up 50A sites. The original sites in the A,B and C loops are mostly shaded. The newer sites on the back loop are mostly shaded, however there are a few that are full sun. The A loop is where we stayed. The sites are graveled and generally very flat. The A, B and C loops have a paved main road. The back loop is all gravel. There are a couple of small playground areas in the park and some large grassy areas where you can play football, baseball, and we saw some kids playing lacrosse. The park is probably 1/3 inhabited by full time/most timers. This may be the reason the park is very quite, almost too quite. Golf carts are permitted and they are everywhere. Trash is picked up at your camp site twice per day. We really enjoyed our stay here and will most likely go back next year. The fees are $20 per night, $120 per week or $400 per month(this one is tax, tag, title, lock, stock and barrell). The only thing the park is missing is a boat launch ramp. Being right on the river it would be nice to not have to leave the park and go across town to launch a boat.

The campground is part of a bigger park which includes a golf course, water park, tennis center (18 courts, 4 clay, 4 indoor), ice skating center (year round), driving range and batting cage. There is also a 3.5 mile, mostly graveled, bike, walking and jogging trail with additional trails that run into town. For a city run park this is very nice; nicer than most of the state parks we have visited.
Here is their link: http://www.pointmallardpark.com/camp-ground.php
Steve & Rebecca Smith
2000 F350 DRW 7.3L D
2009 Cardinal 3804 BH
B&W hitch w/ 5th Wheel Companion
Ride Rite Firestone Air Bags (Rear)
Torben

Re: Point Mallard Park Campground - Decatur, AL

Post by Torben »

Thanks Steve for the helpful info, it helps other members when you post info like you did. :thumbrt: :thumbrt: :thumbrt: :D :D
dennis1949
Cardinal Owners: 2016. Blue Ridge 3045RL

Post by dennis1949 »

I live in Decatur. The campground has turned into a trailer park with all the problems of a trailer park. This is why the people who live here have stopped going there.
Dennis Carpenter
2016. Blue Ridge 3045RL
2012 3/4 GMC Z71 truck
Decatur Al.
stevesmith

Post by stevesmith »

I can understand you feeling about the park Dennis and as I aluded to, it didn't really have that campground feel to it that we are use to but for some it might be ideal and I am sure the price is very attractive to full timers and those working in the area for extended periods of times. Other than the camp host yelling at me to slow down when I was doing 7mph in the 5mph zone, we didn't have any issues. The lady at the registration desk was very nice and new almost every site by shape and size and gladly suggested a site based on your camper length. (apparently length does matter =)) =)) ) sorry, couldn't resist.

I forgot to mention for those that are not aware, the park is "relatively" close to the I-65, mm 340 coming from the north and mm334 coming from the south. It's about 7 miles by road but if you can hitch a ride with a duck, or a cardinal, it's only about 2 miles.

There were two Cardinals that came into the park. One I did not get to visit with. The other was a gentleman from Austin, TX. I asked him if he did the internet and he said not much. I mentioned this club and it seem to peek his interest a bit. He mentioned he was part of another club and I forget the name of the RV but he mentioned the use to have one of those but has since had two cardinals. The club allows former members to stay in even if they have moved on to other units but mentioned they were the SOB's but he didn't elaborate on what exactly that meant. He did laugh about it so I assume it's all good.
Steve & Rebecca Smith
2000 F350 DRW 7.3L D
2009 Cardinal 3804 BH
B&W hitch w/ 5th Wheel Companion
Ride Rite Firestone Air Bags (Rear)
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Post by Don Wilson »

Steve,
S O B = some other brand.

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
stevesmith

Post by stevesmith »