Winfield Campground, Winfield, GA (30 miles from Augusta, GA

What's Your Favorite Campground? Need Information on Fuel Prices, Campground Ratings, Campgrounds available in the area you are traveling??? This is the place to look!!

Moderator: Olbird

halrkent (Deceased)
Cardinal Owners: 2006 29LE

Winfield Campground, Winfield, GA (30 miles from Augusta, GA

Post by halrkent (Deceased) »

Winfield Campground, Winfield, GA (30 miles from Augusta, GA)
We camped at Winfield from August 19th - 25th, 2010. It’s operated by the US Army Corps of Engineers. They have 80 campsites with approximately 30 pull-through and 50 back-in sites. Reservations are made online and the computer system asks the length of your camper. Each site has a maximum size it can accommodate and your selection is screened accordingly. The camp sites are huge. Some sites are over a half acre. All are on Strom Thurmond Lake and afford a beautiful setting. There are sites that are close together for groups (14-15), sites that are very private (57-60) and some offer the best view of the lake because more trees have been cut down (30-33). Each site is surrounded by tall pine trees and filled in by hardwoods so even though you are on the lake it may be hard to see through the trees. If you seek privacy this is your campground. The roads are paved but the sites themselves are crushed rocks. The Corps have made an effort to level the sites (after all they are engineers). Some of the sites are long way from the paved road which will necessitate 75 yards backup into the site. Each site has nice fire pit, lantern poll, picnic table, separate little table (for fish cleaning or food prep), water and 50 -30 amp service. The sites are $22.00 a night with 50% off if you’re over 62 and have a senior pass. Once a reservation is made the host then posts the dates on your site’s post. This is nice if you are a drive-in camper because you can pick a site and not worry about someone showing up with a reservation.
Campground has a boat ramp and the nicest aluminum boat dock I’ve ever seen. Since the water comes up to the camp sites you can fish off the sea wall. I talked to one camper at site 50 who said he was catching large brim. The lake has lots of bass too.
There are two small bathhouses (one has one shower and the other has two) and a couple outhouses (yes I said outhouses). Both were clean but no soap and no paper towels. Having two small bathhouses wasn’t a problem when we camped but could be when the camp ground is full. The campground is in great shape but doesn’t have daily maintenance. So you might have a few fallen limbs when you pull into your site. The campground contracts out maintenance. The week I was there one worker rode around the campground in his golf cart. He didn’t do much. They do have someone clean the restrooms once a day.
In conclusion if you’re anywhere near Augusta, GA on Interstate 20, take the time to camp at Winfield. Simply said this is one of the nicest campgrounds I’ve ever stayed at.
7701 WINFIELD ROAD
Appling GA 30802
Campground office: (706)541-0147
Reservations: www.Recreation.gov

GPS Info. (Latitude, Longitude):
33.65194, -82.42194

From I-20, take Exit 60 (Hwy 150) N 7 mi to campground sign. Turn left and From I-20, take exit 175 (Hwy 150) north 7 miles to campground sign. follow signs to campground. Turn left onto Mistletoe Road, go 2 miles and turn left onto Winfield Road. Campground is at the end of the road.
Hal Kent
2006 Cardinal 29RK-LE
1996 Dodge 2500 V10
R & D

Re: Winfield Campground, Winfield, GA (30 miles from Augusta

Post by R & D »

We always love to get the "heads Up" on good campgrounds...and we hope to hit them ALL :D in our future! TKU!! :ymhug: