Jalama Beach County Park Central California

What's Your Favorite Campground? Need Information on Fuel Prices, Campground Ratings, Campgrounds available in the area you are traveling??? This is the place to look!!

Moderator: Olbird

Big Bird
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250

Jalama Beach County Park Central California

Post by Big Bird »

I assume Torben is familiar with this park as it is near his California home, but it may be new for the rest of us. It is located near Vandenberg Air Force in California just north of Santa Barbara. It hosts about 100 or more RV slots some with water nearby and others with 30 amp electric service. It also has a dumping station. The RV park is tiered on 4 levels. The ground level can handle tents to larger rigs with some pull through spaces. It has bathrooms and showers, but no hook ups. level 2 is older with water nearby and 30 amp service. It has showers and bathrooms. It is older and I would not attempt anything over 30 feet. The 2 upper levels are also for larger rigs, but may not have any services. We were their last week and the ground and 2 upper levels were under construction, and closed. I am told not to attempt a stay here in the summer. They do not take reservations except for groups and this is an extremely popular local destination. Off season is the only time to go unless you are extremely lucky and understand it is nearly 30 miles off the main highway of which 14 miles is a rural single lane country road. We paid $28/day. I had to put our 40 foot 5th wheel into a 30 foot maximum spot. That was another expensive lesson as there was to exit for a 40 foot 5th wheel except making a u-turn or backing down the winding single lane access road. There is no park personnel on duty. The place has a snack bar and general store. Quaint and good burgers and chilly. The beach ranks with the best I have seen in the western United states.

I would attach some pics, but I do not know how to do it. Mike if you lend me a hand I will attach some pics.
Big Bird

Marv and Jackie
Torben

Re: Jalama Beach County Park Central California

Post by Torben »

Your are right Marv, Patty and I try to go there as much as possible. It's one of our favorite places to go. It's a beautiful drive to get to the park and when you come around the last turn and look out over the ocean , all I can say is , WOW!!!!!!

The-Bear
Cardinal Owners: Americana GS31RL. a.k.a. Cardinal 29WB LX

Post by The-Bear »

Thanks for the heads up. And thanks Torben for the great photos! Wow indeed. I love sites where the back window looks out over views like this.

I was wondering about this park. Our rig is considerably shorter than yours, but it still sounds like we'd better do a good detailed survey before we blindly show up. You can probably handle your 40 ft. rig better than I handle our 31.

We were in Lompoc/Vandenberg AFB a couple of weeks ago for the Delta IV Heavy rocket launch (which was fantastic -- our first launch of any kind). We talked to a guy with an old Class-A who had been staying at Jalama Beach but got kicked out at 7:00 am the morning of the launch because it's directly underneath the flight path. They routinely clear this campground when Vandenberg launches a rocket. He'd been warned when he arrived so a Sheriff's deputy knocking on his door at 7:00 am didn't come as a surprise.

So if I understood your post -- some of the sites have 30 amp power hookups, but none of them have water? That's strange. But given a choice, I'd much rather have power. And they have a dump station. Now that's really good news. None of the other coastal beach campgrounds within 50 miles have dump stations any more. I think Pismo Beach is the next closest dump station.
Last edited by The-Bear on Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woody & Sandy
2005 Americana GS 31RL

a.k.a. Cardinal 29WBLX
dfredendall
Council, Moderator
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3350RLX- Luxury Edition

Post by dfredendall »

I first went there as a kid in 1964. It was one of my parents favorite "get away spots". Lots of nice improvements over the years. We must get back there. I still have a penny I had a train smash on the tracks, from way back when.
Dana & Cindy Fredendall
Highland, California
2018 3350RLX- Luxury Edition
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7 Diesel
There are great experiences and new friends everywhere we go!
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Great pics Torben looks like its been a little while since you have been there I see your old truck. :d
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Torben

Post by Torben »

You are right Mike that is my old truck =)) I when into my picture library and found some old pictures from Jalama Beach. The last time we were there was in November 2010. Here is a picture out the back window :thumbrt: