Campgrounds between Louisiana and Houston or just past Houst

What's Your Favorite Campground? Need Information on Fuel Prices, Campground Ratings, Campgrounds available in the area you are traveling??? This is the place to look!!

Moderator: Olbird

Luizianna

Campgrounds between Louisiana and Houston or just past Houst

Post by Luizianna »

Am starting to get all our ducks in a row for Feb! I know we will have to stop for the first night about halfway to Fredericksburg. I'm figuring that will be close to Houston, or just past it. Anyone know of a decent park to stay for the night, easy access to the interstate?? I'm not sure what route we will be taking, if you know of a good one, please let us know.
CritterRenter

Post by CritterRenter »

There's a KOA at Baytown, on I-10, east bound side. I've never stayed there, but it is just before you get to Houston. Another is Pine Lakes RV, on TX 146, just a little south of I-10. Both are close to each other, and appear to be easy access from I-10.
Leaving either park between 8 and 9:00 AM should get you through Houston after the worse traffic, and still get to Fredericksburg about mid afternoon.
jennyt

Post by jennyt »

Linda - If you are taking I-10 to Hwy 290 and up, there is an RV park at 290 and Eldridge called Trader's Village. It's an OK stopover, nothing pretty or special but past the Houston rush hour traffic jams and on the side of Houston that will get you on your way up 290 to Fredericksburg. I don't know of any others around Houston other than the KOA in Baytown. I guess the other option would be to take I-10 all the way out past San Antonio and then jog up. If you do that then there is a State Park, Stephen F. Austin in Brookshire that has full hookups.
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

Thanks guys...DH is probably going to look for a way to avoid Houston...lol I think we are also going to invest in a truckers atlas also and will update our Next Exit with the 2007 model...lol
jennyt

Post by jennyt »

Linda - let us know what route you think you guys will take and we'll try and give you some pointers. No matter which way you slice it, you'll be coming through southern Texas! :lol:
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Linda if you make it through Houston the first day, I highly recommend Schulenburg RV Park a little over an hour on the west side. It is easy acess from I-10 and very friendly plus reasonable priced. One of my favorite stops as there is a fantastic BBQ place accross the street. Also makes an easy late start 3 hr drive to Fredricksburg.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
CritterRenter

Post by CritterRenter »

If you can get to Houston before 4, or around it, then the Schulenburg park is really nice. But keep track of time, Houston traffic between 4:30 and 7 is not a fun thing to do :twisted:
Jenny could probably help to get you around Houston better than I can. I try to avoid it like the Plague.