Seeking Travel Advice Bend Or to Florence Or

What's Your Favorite Campground? Need Information on Fuel Prices, Campground Ratings, Campgrounds available in the area you are traveling??? This is the place to look!!

Moderator: Olbird

david_iona

Seeking Travel Advice Bend Or to Florence Or

Post by david_iona »

Next week we will be traveling to the Oregon coast with two other friends/Rvs and I am wondering about the highway from Sisters to Eugene/Florence. Is Highway 242/126 from Sisters to Eugene okay for travel towing our fifth wheels? I have been over Highway 20/126 from Sisters to Salem before but have never gone the other way. We are also considering dropping south to La Pine State Park instead of going through Sisters because we really enjoy La Pine State Park, having been there a couple of times previously. Any info on Highway 242 would be appreciated, thanks.
Torben

Re: Seeking Travel Advice Bend Or to Florence Or

Post by Torben »

Dave, we travel 126 all the time when we go from McCall and Eugene to see our daughter, but you do NOT want to go on 242 towing the trailer. I do highly recommend that you take a day trip up to the lookouts and lava fields at the summit of 242 :thumbrt: It's a beautiful drive along the McKenzie River and you will not have any trouble towing your 5th wheel on 126 :thumbrt:. There is a KOA in Sisters that is very nice, and the town of Sisters is a great place to spend the day. If you stay in La Pine, you will not have any trouble towing on Hiway 58 to Eugene. Another great place to stay is at Lava Lake just west of Sunriver :thumbrt:
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Yes as Torben says do not take 242 Hwy 126 comes back in to the end of 242 at Belknap Springs and 126 is not a bad pull clear to the coast. Might be a little smokey on that side of the mountains with the 3 forest fires burning.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
david_iona

Post by david_iona »

Okay, thanks for the advice to stay away from 242. We have been talking about dropping down to La Pine State Park anyway and that helps make the decision for us.
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

La Pine is a nice park. But the next time we stay there I might reserve a back in site. The pull thru sites are semicircles, with trees on the inside curve of the circle.

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
david_iona

Post by david_iona »

We prefer the back in sites over the pull through sites as well since many of the back in sites are very deep and sit back from the loop roads a little further than the pull through sites.