West Coast 101

What's Your Favorite Campground? Need Information on Fuel Prices, Campground Ratings, Campgrounds available in the area you are traveling??? This is the place to look!!

Moderator: Olbird

Travelers

West Coast 101

Post by Travelers »

Looking to travel from San Fransico to Seattle using 101 along the coast. Good / Bad? Suggestions?
Planning on 3 weeks. And yes pulling the rig. End of March into April.
snoking

Re: West Coast 101

Post by snoking »

Places to stay that we like. Brookings, Or. Brookings Marina and RV.

Lane County Park, Florence, Or

Fort Stevens State Park, Or at Columbia River.

Grayland State Park, Wa.

Guys will belong to tell you about the club west coast outstation at Winchester Bay!

Chris
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Post by Don Wilson »

I have driven the California part and pulled the trailer over most of 101 from Los Angeles to Crescent City and it is pretty good road. In the larger metro areas like LA to Ventura and Monterey to Santa Rosa it is four lanes but much of the rest of it is two lane. I would not have any problem recommending it however 101 goes through downtown San Francisco and crosses the Golden Gate Bridge and I have not pulled the trailer on that section.

It should not be difficult finding campgrounds along the route either except close to San Francisco. If you want to see the city you may have to find a campground about 20 miles away and either drive in or take public transportation.

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
snoking

Post by snoking »

San Francisco on Sunday is a good time to transit. Chris
sew2bhappy
Cardinal Owners: 2013 Cardinal 3030 5th wheel
Location: Oklahoma Oklahoma City (base) and wherever the weather is better

Post by sew2bhappy »

And try to avoid 101 between Novato and Santa Rosa during afternoon commute hours - typically Mon thru Fri between 3pm and 6pm. There is an area there the locals call "The Narrows" where the road narrows to 2 lanes each direction, and it just can't handle the massive traffic. I have been caught in that a couple of times...and kick myself for forgetting to plan my time better!

Sonoma County (Santa Rosa) Fairgrounds seems to be about the best place to overnight for that area. But it is just a large gravel parkig lot with full hook ups. I thought Petaluma KOA was overpriced, over crowded and staff way to cranky.

If you get a chance, explore Healdsburg and surrounding wineries. And if you are into thrift stores...Lytton Springs (north of Healdsburg) has one of the largest Salvation Army stores. Actually, it's a ranch with many of the outbuildings being converted to separate "stores". And if you are there on a weekend, they have their famous "yard sale" with tons of stuff set outside. Fill a box, bag, or whatever...take it to an employee and they'll quote you a price, which is usually a pretty good deal. There is a lot of junk, but if you look carefully you can find some real treasures for cheap!
Millie Plato (married to Rplato)
2013 Cardinal 3030RS
1998 Volvo VNL610
2009 SmartCar-Bitsy
Nights out in
2018 - 93
...2015/16/17 - full time
...2011/14 - 719
National Rallies - 6
Regional Rallies - 10
FROG - 4
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Winchester bay Oregon
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

We lived in the S.F. Bay area for years, and go there 4 or 5 times a year still, so, from plenty of experience commuting and pulling trailers in the area I advise getting off 101 and avoiding San Francisco and the Peninsula entirely pulling a trailer. Construction, congestion, accident and then more construction. I680 in the East Bay is your best route. Rush hours 0530 - 1000, 1400 - 1800. And weekends are not much better. If you plan on stopping in the S.F. Bay, the Alameda County Fairgrounds RV park is the best bang for your buck. Just south of the intersection of I680/I580. A reservation is recommended.

http://www.campingfriend.com/AlamedaCou ... ?file=Home

Jeff

PS: The link to the CalTrans Quickmap page. Select San Francisco from the menu on the left and you get real time info on traffic in the area.

http://quickmap.dot.ca.gov/
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

Thanks All. :thumbrt:
Trying to take in the National Parks going from South to North. Maybe hit the 101 North SF. Still planning.
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Post by Traveler II »

A few years ago we made the trip on 101 north of SF all the way to Port Townsend, WA, it was great. The only thing I recall was in Oregon pulling in for fuel and this guy coming out telling me he had to fill up our rig, that I couldn’t do it myself. Actually it’s a nice service.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

John,
Its a nice drive from CA to WA just be prepared to slow down entering many many towns along the way. It is a long haul but you will see alot of nice things.
Roads are good and bad with a lot of repairs from slides this year.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW