Question on our route/trip to Moab

What's Your Favorite Campground? Need Information on Fuel Prices, Campground Ratings, Campgrounds available in the area you are traveling??? This is the place to look!!

Moderator: Olbird

mikenmarge

Question on our route/trip to Moab

Post by mikenmarge »

We are planning for Moab trip in Oct. Going to Carson City to Art and Ana's to drive together. First day (Aug. 9th) will be a long one. Taking highway 50 all the way to Ely,NV. There's a KOA there. Plan to stay there one night. Has anyone stayed ther? 2nd day we are driving to Salina, Ut. There's CG called Butch Cassidy RV Park .Has. anyone stayed there?Then on to Moab the 11th. Any thoughts? We know Hwy 50 is a long barren stretch. But straight shot. Thanks, MnM
Torben

Re: Question on our route/trip to Moab

Post by Torben »

We have stayed at the KOA in Ely, very nice and a great place to stay overnight :thumbrt: What can you say about US 50 "The loneliest Road in American" it's a great experience, a stretch of road that everybody should drive at least once :d . You will have fun :d don't worry about fuel every town has diesel :thumbrt:
mikenmarge

Post by mikenmarge »

My biggest concern is that Ely is 6500 ft. I don't handle the altitude well at all. I'm hoping I can handle one night. Absolutely no activity for Marge while we are there. I see no other ciy/town within reasonable distance that is lower. Marge
david_iona

Post by david_iona »

Stayed at Butch Cassidy a few years ago and it was just an okay overnite stop. Hopefully the place is better managed today. Also have stayed in Green River UT and that was a nicer park. I think it is just a little further down the road from Salinas.
mikenmarge

Post by mikenmarge »

Right now- we have tentatively changed our route a little. Instead of highway 50, we'll probably go I-80, driving to Elko, NV the first night. We'll stay at the Iron Horse Inn. Then leave the next morning for Springville, Utahand stay at East Bay RV Park, then on into Moab. Not sure if we'll take the exact same route back from Moab or not. I'm disappointed to hear that Butch Cassidy RV Park is just so-so. It's given a high rating in the RV Camp books. We were thinking about staying there on our way home, but probably will wait till be get to Moab to make the home trip reservations. We'll know then if we liked to places we stayed on the way there and might just want to use them again. Thanks for the info on Butch Cassidy. Marge
david_iona

Post by david_iona »

The info on Butch Cassidy was from our stay a few years ago and they may have had new owners/managers that have improved the property. Take a look as you go by on your wayt south. We always stay at the the park in Springville on our way home in the spring. It is a nice park and easy access. Enjoy your trip.