Palo Duro State Park, TX

What's Your Favorite Campground? Need Information on Fuel Prices, Campground Ratings, Campgrounds available in the area you are traveling??? This is the place to look!!

Moderator: Olbird

Rob & Cathy

Palo Duro State Park, TX

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Our last Texas state park we'll be staying at is Palo Duro.

After checking-in your first experience in the park is a 10% descent for two miles. Cathy got a little nervous as some of the 15 mph corners were right on the edge of the rim.

The first critter we saw out our living room window after getting set up.

We also managed to see our first Texas Longhorn in the park.

A main attraction in the park is a rock formation called The Lighthouse. So Cathy and I took a hike.

It was a little toasty. Round-trip was 5.2 miles.

Our first sighting of The Lighthouse.

Getting closer.

And there it is, on the right.

And our campsite.
I tried to take it in the evening with the sun lighting the cliff but it wasn't lit as well as I had hoped.

Rob
sew2bhappy
Cardinal Owners: 2013 Cardinal 3030 5th wheel
Location: Oklahoma Oklahoma City (base) and wherever the weather is better

Re: Palo Duro State Park, TX

Post by sew2bhappy »

As usual...fantastic pictures. Guess I need to start one of those "must see" lists! (For some reason the term 'bucket list' just sounds weird to me 8-X!)
Millie Plato (married to Rplato)
2013 Cardinal 3030RS
1998 Volvo VNL610
2009 SmartCar-Bitsy
Nights out in
2018 - 93
...2015/16/17 - full time
...2011/14 - 719
National Rallies - 6
Regional Rallies - 10
FROG - 4
Double D's
Cardinal Owners: 2013 3675 Cardinal 5th Wheel

Post by Double D's »

Rob, we did that same hike back in Sept - and when we got out of the canyon, it was 105º ..... but only 5% humidity, so PIECE of cake!
I got some GREAT pix of our rig with the lighted rock in the background. LOVE THAT PLACE!

Glad you guys are still seeing some great places! Bill and Debbie told us about Palo Duro when we were in Branson - we had never heard of it!

Keep showing us your great pix! D
http://www.ddbalfanz.blogspot.com/

Double D's - Dennis and Donna

2013 Cardinal 3675- The "Double D Retreat"
Trail Air Pin Box and Suspension
2007 Chevy Dually 3500, Duramax
Rallies - 20
Days out in 2015- 145
Days out in 2014 - 71
Days out in 2013 - 187 Alaska
BMullins46
Cardinal Owners: 06 Cardinal 31RKT; 2016 XLR 385AMP
2012 Ford F350 DRW, Lariat 6.7 Diesel.

Post by BMullins46 »

Rob,
Awesume pics. I grew up and camped in the canyon many times, but I've never done the hike to the lighthouse. How long did you stay? What site number did you have?
Bill
Bill & Debbie
06 31RKT, MorRyde LRE/4000; 2016 XLR 385AMP
2012 F350 DRW 4X2 Lariat, 6.7 Diesel, TransferFlow aux fuel tank
Fur babies, Betty and Cocoa
Nights camping
2011-102; '12-111; '13-89; '14-108; '15-142; '16-92; '17-163; '18-81
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Double D's wrote:Rob, we did that same hike back in Sept - and when we got out of the canyon, it was 105º ..... but only 5% humidity, so PIECE of cake!
It was bone dry for us as well Donna. We only took a litter of water with us and it was barely enough. In fact a couple of guys, that hike the canyon a lot, were glad to see us carrying water as it not unusual for hikers to have to be rescued for lack of water. It reminded me of a hike Cathy and I took just outside Juneau Alaska. The second time someone asked if we were carry a gun, for protection from the critters, we decided that maybe we should turn back. :shock:

Rob
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

BMullins46 wrote:Rob, How long did you stay? What site number did you have?
Bill
We stayed three nights Bill and we were in site #19 just before the first flash flood water crossing.

Rob
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Double D's wrote:I got some GREAT pix of our rig with the lighted rock in the background. LOVE THAT PLACE!
You're welcome to post that picture here Donna so I can see what could have been. :d

Rob
Double D's

Post by Double D's »

Hoping this post will WORK! Not too much confidence in my photo bucket experience!

We were in Site 90, in Mesquite Camp area - as far in as you can go! It was PERFECT, we were the only ones there and the scenery was FAB!

Here we go:

Rallies - 20
Days out in 2015- 145
Days out in 2014 - 71
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Well done Donna! :thumbrt:

That's what I was hoping for.

Rob
dfredendall
Council, Moderator
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3350RLX- Luxury Edition

Post by dfredendall »

Palo Duro Canyon is beautiful. They refer to it as the Grand Canyon of Texas. During the summer months they perform an evening outdoor pageant telling the story of oil men vs cattlemen, with a true Romeo & Juliet love story where the son of an oil man falls in love with the daughter of a cattleman. The peageant is set with the canyon walls as a backdrop to an ampitheater. Before the pageant they host an outdoor chuckwagon bar-b-que dinner. We saw it years ago with laser light show, a true steam train, horse stampede, stage coach and it was done in true theatrical fashion. One character had played the same role for 29 years, every summer. Well worth the visit.
Dana & Cindy Fredendall
Highland, California
2018 3350RLX- Luxury Edition
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7 Diesel
There are great experiences and new friends everywhere we go!
Double D's

Post by Double D's »

Dana: we missed that pageant by just a couple of weeks, apparently.. Sounds like it would REALLY be interesting! But it was SO quiet and peaceful there, with no other campers around.... REALLY felt relaxed when we left there... Maybe we will be able to catch it another time. Thanks for the reminder! Donna

Rallies - 20
Days out in 2015- 145
Days out in 2014 - 71
ratherbcamping

Post by ratherbcamping »

We saw the pageant, and it was wonderful! They perform rain or shine, unless there is lightening in the area. Of course, even though it's RARE for them to have rain, we sat through a downpour to watch. Gotta admit - the jokes about the problems farmers had due to drought were hilarious in the pouring rain! I'd love to go back sometime and see it without the rain!

And I LOVED both Palo Duro and Caprock Canyons. Hubby and I retire very soon (35 school days for me - YAY!) and are planning on spending next winter exploring southern Texas State Parks. If any of the others are as nice as these two, we're in for a great winter!
kwatson51
Cardinal Owners: 2001 28RKB

Post by kwatson51 »

ratherbcamping wrote:We saw the pageant, and it was wonderful! They perform rain or shine, unless there is lightening in the area. Of course, even though it's RARE for them to have rain, we sat through a downpour to watch. Gotta admit - the jokes about the problems farmers had due to drought were hilarious in the pouring rain! I'd love to go back sometime and see it without the rain!

And I LOVED both Palo Duro and Caprock Canyons. Hubby and I retire very soon (35 school days for me - YAY!) and are planning on spending next winter exploring southern Texas State Parks. If any of the others are as nice as these two, we're in for a great winter!
I see this was posted in May, so y'all should be out and about Texas by now. Check out Inks Lake State Park, west of Austin. It was our favorite when we lived in Austin--especially this time of year.
Keith & Arly
RV: 2001 FR Cardinal 28RKB LX
TV: 2007 Chevy 2500HD Classic shortbed diesel w/6sp Allison, B&W hitch
BMullins46
Cardinal Owners: 06 Cardinal 31RKT; 2016 XLR 385AMP
2012 Ford F350 DRW, Lariat 6.7 Diesel.

Post by BMullins46 »

We have over 200 state parks down here in Texas. Not all of them have facilities for camping. I suggest anyone interested in seeing some of them contact the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department and pick up their publication on the state parks. Anyone coming this way and planning on going to Palo Duro Canyon or Caprock Canyons state parks send me a PM and we'll try to meet up with you there.
Bill
Bill & Debbie
06 31RKT, MorRyde LRE/4000; 2016 XLR 385AMP
2012 F350 DRW 4X2 Lariat, 6.7 Diesel, TransferFlow aux fuel tank
Fur babies, Betty and Cocoa
Nights camping
2011-102; '12-111; '13-89; '14-108; '15-142; '16-92; '17-163; '18-81
Double D's

Post by Double D's »

We stayed in Inks Lake a few years ago, and really enjoyed it, too! LOVE the Texas State Parks! When we are going to be in TX for a while, we get a "Texas State Parks" pass - costs $60.00 if I remember correctly and pays for itself pretty quickly.... We also like Atlanta State Park - South of Texarkana, Arkansas, as a 2nd night staying place on our way South in Cold weather. Sunsets there are FABULOUS!

Rallies - 20
Days out in 2015- 145
Days out in 2014 - 71