San Antonio

What's Your Favorite Campground? Need Information on Fuel Prices, Campground Ratings, Campgrounds available in the area you are traveling??? This is the place to look!!

Moderator: Olbird

Luizianna

San Antonio

Post by Luizianna »

This is not quite a campground post, but thought it was worth letting our members know. We spent the day in San Antonio Alamo/River Walk/Market Square areas. Kudo's to San Antonio for having people on the street in these area's watching out for anyone that looks lost...lol They wear khaki pants and green shirts and are most helpful with info, like what street cars to take or how to get wherever you want to go..

We paked at the Market Square, actually on top of the market square...lol and took a street car to the Alamo and River Walk. Our experience could not have been more enjoyable!
CritterRenter

Post by CritterRenter »

I would like to see the Alamo again. I haven't been there since I was a kid. When I went it was when "The Alamo" movie with John Wayne & Richard Widmark 1st came out. I bet it has been improved since then...

(Didn't mean to age myself :lol: )
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

lol Ernie, I figured out yesterday that I was 12 last time I was there. Now it seems much smaller than when I was there then. Of course, San Antonio was much smaller...there was no River Walk. Most of the exhibits have been moved to a very nice "gift shop" guess they found out they could sell stuff while you were looking at artifacts. There was even an author signing his book on the Alamo if you bought one. It is now a shrine...they asked men to take off thier hats and for everyone to talk softly.

The RiverWalk is awesome, beautiful and any other adjective yu can think of...lol Worth seeing. Many many restaurants with outdoor seeting along the river...lots andlots of fat pigeons too!! lol

Did you go to Alamo Village over by Del Rio?? That is the actual place they filmed the Alamo, also the oldest winery in Texas is there. We are headed there next and will go into Mexico from there for the day.
CritterRenter

Post by CritterRenter »

I was about 10 when I went to the Alamo. Intrested in Davey Crocket, Jim Bowie stories, I was intrested in the Alamo. I remember going to a couple of the missions, but don't remember where.
But now I will have to go to Del Rio and check out the winery... :D
jennyt

Post by jennyt »

I love San Antonio! :lol: It's a great place to relax and lots to see. Didn't know about the winery though :shock: We will have to go back soon :lol:

Glad to hear you are having a great visit Linda!
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

I've been to that winery Linda (imagine that), think it was called Val Verde and seem to remember they made a pretty decent port, be sure to give it a try if they still make it. We had a decent site at the Trav-l-park outside of town.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
david_iona

Post by david_iona »

We were at at the Val Verde winery in Del Rio a couple of weeks ago and they still produce the tawny port. It is an excellent port wine and we purchsed several bottles there since we have not been able to find it at retail in the San Antonio market on previous trips. So stock up!!!!