Trailer Life RV Campground Navigator CDs - Any Reviews?

What's Your Favorite Campground? Need Information on Fuel Prices, Campground Ratings, Campgrounds available in the area you are traveling??? This is the place to look!!

Moderator: Olbird

Ranger Mark

Trailer Life RV Campground Navigator CDs - Any Reviews?

Post by Ranger Mark »

I am interested in buying the Trailer Life CDs that help with route planning, etc.. Has anyone used these? Are they helpful and worth the price?
ratherbcamping

Post by ratherbcamping »

I know that many people like them, but we were not impressed. We found them difficult to use and by the time we would locate a campground, we were past the exit. My son is very computer savvy, and he found them extremely irritating. We finally went back to the good old book.
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

I have stuck with the book for campgrounds, but use a Garmin Streetpilot GPS to find everything else and as a moving map/directions giver.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

We do the same as Bruce does...with book and garmin street pilot.
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Next Exit

Post by Don Wilson »

Have any of you tried the Next Exit?

Trailer Life sent me an email about the 2007 edition and I was think of buying it.

I was going to check it out at the local Barnes & Noble (Library) bookstore first but they were out.

Can anyone give me a review. The e-mail listed a number of things you could find but not campgrounds are they listed?

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
Ranger Mark

The Next Exit Book

Post by Ranger Mark »

DON,

We bought the Next Exit before our first trip. We were impressed, especially my wife. It makes her job as navigator much easier. It shows a wealth of info, including RV Parks, though it's really used for all other services. We especially like the hi-lighting in red for all the RV accessible fuel stations, etc... But, the only negative is that it only can be used for Interstates.
virgil
Cardinal Owners: 2005 30 LE

Post by virgil »

What do you use on the Garmin, as your type vehicle and is there a reason, I figure the truck mode is best in that I figure it should keep me off small streets and low hanging limbs and etc. Do you use faster or shortest routes. Any other features you recommend while towing,
2002 F250 Supercab PSD
2005 Cardinal 30` LE

ImageImage
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

virgil wrote:What do you use on the Garmin, as your type vehicle and is there a reason, I figure the truck mode is best in that I figure it should keep me off small streets and low hanging limbs and etc. Do you use faster or shortest routes. Any other features you recommend while towing,
DO NOT rely on truck mode navigation keeping you off routes with limbs or small streets, and that is the voice of experience. Mine has repeatedly sent us into situations of backing up or turning around and I keep it in truck mode. I find it best to let it calculate a route and then check that route with a current road atlas. I also switch mine back and forth between faster and shorter route depending on the amount of time I have available and also sometimes it will give me the exact opposite of what is selected (ie the faster route is shorter or the shortest distance is actually longer). They are not perfect machines but I still like it and use it daily.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
yogi154

Post by yogi154 »

I just got the Magellan 4040 , just wanted a cheap one but this one lists campgrounds in the area , so I had to get it. Now I need a couple days off to try it out.
I figure it will take me till Branson to dial me into it . I guess I can ask a kid how it works . Truck Route something else to look for I wish they had a video on how they work.
O'YA the two programs Woodalls just jams the laptop(they sent me two revised versions still freezes up) and Trailer Life seems hard to use .I also use the book .
Happy Camping
Wayne
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Post by Future Fulltimers »

Actually I use all three (map, Street Pilot and TL CD). I use the Street Pilot for suggested routes, the map to confirm the route and the Trailer Life CD for campgrounds along the way. My GPS has gotten me in some tight situations and it has been known to take the long way (even when the “shortest route” was selected. :evil:
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch
Shields
Cardinal Owners: 31 RK LE

Post by Shields »

The Garmin has gotten me out of some "where am I " situations and I love it for that. I also love its tracking ability, however, it is still a dumb machine and needs some common sense guidance itself. Today mine tried to get me to turn left on a right only intersection, but it can't know every detail in the world.
Al and Nadine
Cardinal 31RK, 2006
2009 Dodge Cummins 3500 Dually.
Dorr, Michigan
graybeard
Cardinal Owners: 3250 RL

T.L. camping cd

Post by graybeard »

Good Sam Is sending Me a camping cd for a trial. If I like it I can pay for it If not send it back. I dont see a downside. I will post my thoughts on it after I recive and try the program. I think this offer is there for Good Sam members. Keep on campin!
Steve & Kathy Turner

2016 CardInal 3250 RL
06 Ford 250 diesel a/t Stock
2wd
bayoubengal
Cardinal Owners: 2008 31RKLE

Post by bayoubengal »

I find the TL very helpful when looking for a campground on the route. I normally use it during my planning stage, but I will use it on the trip if our route changes or my first choice is booked. I also find it helpful to zoom in and get street names to locate it on my Garmin. Finding campgrounds in the book is difficult if you don't know the name of every small town on the way. This gives you a picture that you can zoom in and out.

I don't use it for routing, it is not as versitale as other programs.
Vince & Kim
2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ, SRW, D/A, Extended Cab, LB
2008 31RKLE
Nights Camped:
'02--74 '06--122 '10--24
'03--59 '07--47 '11--44
'04--83 '08--98 '12--76
'05--99 '09--84
graybeard
Cardinal Owners: 3250 RL

Post by graybeard »

Well I got the trailer life cd and I like it. I have mapped our trip to Oregon this Summer. has some good features to it like printed maps and directions driving times to get aprox time to next camp spot. info on parks like the book, only you can see where there locations are on the map the book won't do that so It gets a good report from me. :D :D
Steve & Kathy Turner

2016 CardInal 3250 RL
06 Ford 250 diesel a/t Stock
2wd
haulin Shamu

Re: Trailer Life RV Campground Navigator CDs - Any Reviews?

Post by haulin Shamu »

Can anyone tell me what "the book" is and where to get it?

thanks,