Is the Cardinal suitable for Full Timing?

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
jbigbryw

Is the Cardinal suitable for Full Timing?

Post by jbigbryw »

My wife and I are considering a Cardinal for full timing. Specifically the 34QS and 35RLT. My question, is this unit suitable for full timing? My wife is a little concerned over the length but we will probably not be moving more than once every month or so. However, we plan to be in all kinds of weather including Arizona/Nevada deserts, coasts of Florida and probably some freezing conditions every now an then. We already figure we will need a second A/C but other than that, what other options might we consider?

We plan on towing this with a Ford F350.

Thanks in advance.
ratherbcamping

Post by ratherbcamping »

Our Cardinal has heated tanks, which allows you to camp in cooler weather than usual. So you should be all right on that front.
bop11
Cardinal Owners: 2010 3150 RL
Skype ID: bill.bopra

Post by bop11 »

jbigbryw,
Welcome to the club!! You've come to the right place for good honest information about Cardinal campers. There are several full-timers and a whole bunch of extended timers here that can answer more of your questions than I can, but right off the bat I would go with double pane windows as my first option.
Good Luck and keep us informed about your decision.
Bill & Penny
2010 3150 RL "The Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2013/67 and have put put 8566 miles on the Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2014 63
Night out in 2015. 88
Nights out so far in 2016. 58
More fun to come!
Double D's
Cardinal Owners: 2013 3675 Cardinal 5th Wheel

Post by Double D's »

We agree with Bop! THermopane is one of the BEST options that we had installed on ours. We live in cold country, and travel mainly in the winter, and with these windows there is no condensation to (eventually) rot the area beneath the windows. Good luck in your decision! Donna
http://www.ddbalfanz.blogspot.com/

Double D's - Dennis and Donna

2013 Cardinal 3675- The "Double D Retreat"
Trail Air Pin Box and Suspension
2007 Chevy Dually 3500, Duramax
Rallies - 20
Days out in 2015- 145
Days out in 2014 - 71
Days out in 2013 - 187 Alaska
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

I certainly hope its suitable for full-timing :shock: as that is what we are doing. I do have the second AC which is very nice for quick cooling the unit after a hot day on the road. We often hit freezing temps during our winters here in TX and the heated tanks work flawlessly and the enclosed underbelly has prevented any other problems. We did not opt for duo-pane glass, just bought off the lot, running a couple elect space heaters seems to prevent condensation, only notice it while cooking. The one thing I did not like with duo-panes is that they are only available in slide type openings, we like our crank out standard glass to keep ventilating during rain showers. We have had minimal problems with our rig and plan to keep it for several more years of happy living on the road. Another item I really like is the power awning, on mine it required a small ladder for the forward awning leg and got to be a pain. Camping world fixed me up with a powered unit so now the wife can use the awning without my help.
Good luck on your decision. In my opinion the Cardinal is a fine unit for full-timing at a reasonable price. Most importantly get a floor plan you like and that works for you no matter what brand, we went through a few other rigs along the way until we found a plan that has everything where we want it.
Bruce
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Post by Future Fulltimers »

:wink: :) :wink: :) :wink: :)
What he said.
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch
CritterRenter

Post by CritterRenter »

I would definitely get the 2nd AC.
I think FR offers a 2nd furnace too. I don't know if you can run just one at a time or not, how they work... But if you plan on much cold weather I would check it out to see if it is needed. Just remember, the furnace will burn more propane than anything else, a lot more. My experience with TX winters (usual lows in the high 30's, maybe a night or 2 in the high 20's) is a couple of electric space heaters do fine.
Good luck with your choice.
Squire

Post by Squire »

We will be full timing in our 32FKR TT if we ever take delivery of it. It has been setting at the factory since March 14 waiting to be delivered to Little Rock. Just one more issue with my dealer! He knew I would be out of the country until the 29th and I feel (without any true knowledge) that he might have had other units delivered before mine.
Looking forward to the new rig and hopefully it will be here any day now that he knows I am back to take delivery and PAY for it.
Good luck with you decision to fulltime as it is really more of an issue that the unit you choose.
dreamcamper

Post by dreamcamper »

We are fulltiming in our Cardinal 33 TSLX We are currently in Denton, TX and we were in the camping world today and met a couple that have a Hitchhiker that they ordered new from the factory. They have had leaking problems since day one. We try to maintain everything well. It is a 2004 unit and it is in great condition.[/b]
poweredbytheholyghost

Post by poweredbytheholyghost »

In October we purchased a new 36TS. Our intent was/is to fulltime. We live in the Four Corners of New Mexico,and we get winter here. In fact our first winter in our new Cardinal was one of the coldest, wettest we have had. Our Cardinal stood up great! The tank heaters work terrific, with no problems. The storage areas are heated by the furnace, and we were even storing bottled water and had no problems. For the two to two and a half mos of the coldest weather, most nights/mornings the temps were in single digits. The only problem we ever had and that was due to our inexperience was the water line freezing at the point of entry to the coach, and we fixed that by insulating, heat tape, and most nights let our water "drip".. Our rig has two furnaces, but we really only used one. Yes, it got cold if you didn't run the furnace, no different than a stick and brick. We also purhased two small electric heaters, one for the living area and one for the bedroom and used them as needed to conserve the propane.
All and all, its a great rig and our experience this winter proved its capability as a fulltime coach.

Al Viscardi