converter problems?

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
jerry
Cardinal Owners: 06 30' WBLE

converter problems?

Post by jerry »

Looking for help. I and presently in Ruidoso, New Mexico having trouble with my accessories that run off of the 12 volt system. When I have the lights on (12 Volt) they seem to get dim and then bright, back and forth. The same applies to the heater system, when using it it blows fine but makes a noise that sounds like it is surging back and forth. All 110 appliances and lights work fine.
I put a new battery in yesterday so it is not the battery since the problem existed before the new battery.

Things always happen when you are a thousand miles from home. Any suggestions? Don't know if it could be the converter or what.

Jerry
30 Cardinal WBLE
03 Ford ps
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Jerry, Without a voltmeter to start checking things, I would personally start pulling one fuse at a time to see if it could be one specific accessory causing the problem. Also check all connections powere & ground to ensure they are tight. Sorry no other help I can think of quickly.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

My daughter and son in law had to replace the inverter in their rig...not a Bird, but the symptoms sure do look the same, like you, they bought a new battery and that did not solve the problm.
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Hi Jerry, sorry to hear about your problems.

If pulling fuses as Bruce recommended does help my bet would be on the converter. Have you tried turning the battery switch off to see if the symptoms change?

Rob
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Rob & Cathy wrote:Hi Jerry, sorry to hear about your problems.

If pulling fuses as Bruce recommended does help my bet would be on the converter. Have you tried turning the battery switch off to see if the symptoms change?

Rob
Great idea Rob, after a bit of thought, might also try plugging in your truck at idle as that should throw a bit more 12V at it and brighten things if the converter is not charging. If not in an area with RV parts a simple wal-mart battery charger might get you home! Just plug it into the 110.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Hello Jerry,

If you put a new battery in that you know is fully charged try disconnecting the shore power. This will allow you to run on the new battery only.
If all seems to be fine plug shore power back in and check the system again, your convertor may not be regulating a constent DC voltage. If this happens it can cause high and low voltage spikes causing everything to surge or hunt. The convertor will produce a little higher voltage then the battery when plugged in.

If the system is still surging with the 110 AC to 12 DC power convertor unplugged, start looking to the item drawing too many amps that is overloading the system. Do this by disconnecting each 12 volt item by pulling the fuses in the convertor box as said by others above.

George:
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
jerry

converter problems?

Post by jerry »

Thanks for all the info. I cut off the shorepower and ran everything just off of the new battery and did not get any surges. Once the shore power is connected again I start getting surges, mainly noticeable when the unit heater is running. I have already pulled all of the fuses and tightened all connections and that does not seem to be the problem. It can't be the park electrical poles since we had this same problem a few days ago when we were at Big Bend Park.

I looks like to me it almost has to be the converter. Thanks for all the help.

Jerry
06 -30 wble
03 Power stroke
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Do you get the surging when you're on shore power and the batteries isolate by during the battery switch to the off position?

Rob
jerry

converter problems

Post by jerry »

I tried keeping the shore power on and cut off the battery and the lights and heater came on and did not surge although two times they would cut completely off and then come back on even though I had the heater thermostat high enough that it should not have cut off . I'm puzzled.

Thanks

Jerry
06 wble
03 fps
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

I wonder if that's the surge you're seeing. With the batteries in the circuit they would supply power, at a lower voltage, when the converter shuts down. Then when the converter came back on-line it would produce a higher DC voltage than the batteries. Just a thought.

Rob
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Really sounds like a faulty converter to me
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Yep, I thinks so too.

Rob
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Hello Jerry,

Just as Mike and Rob said you better look into changing the convertor when you get back home.

The reason your seeing bright and dim surging is because as I mentioned the convertor produces a little higher voltage and can carry the load amps better then the battery.
If you notice when everything is working correct in all our campers and we unplug the 110 power source the lights go a little dim when on the battery.

Your convertor should never go on and off, that is why we all suggest changing the convertor.
It is always nice to have a volt meter in the camper, because what you do not want to see is the convertor fail and produce higher voltage, anything above 14.5 could damage many low voltage items.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

Jerry...why don't you do a google search or yellow pages search for the area you are in and see if there are any mobile rv techs in the area that do warranty work? When we were in San Antonio we had a busted hose in the storage area that DH was able to fix himself, but I did a search for an rv tech and there were several in the area that would come to the rv park, also if you are in an rv park, ask the workers there if they know of anyone. Just a thought....
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Conveter Problems

Post by Don Wilson »

Jerry,
If you are still in Ruidoso I just happen to have a year 2000 Ruidoso phone book, which covers most of Lincoln County and there are two RV repair places.

Circle B Rv Repairs has in park repairs service. Their number is 505-378-4990 and they are located on Hiway 70 in Ruidoso Downs.

The other is A-1 RV Repair with a number 505-257-9417 but they do not have an ad in the yellow pages just a name and number. They are located on 253 Carrizo canyon Rd. Ruidoso.

The other option would be to contact Radio Shack and see if they would be of any help in diaganosing the problem and they might have a Converter if you need one . Their number is 505-257-7856 and they are located on 102 Whitlock Rd Ruidoso

Good Luck

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5