Mor-Ryde-ing

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Mor-Ryde-ing

Post by campswithcritters »

Ok folks just got out of the Mor-Ryde facility at Elkhart with new 7000lb independant suspension axles (previously 6000 lb), disc brakes, never lube bearings, and 8 lug wheels. First drive impression (across town) is nice. Brakes are very smooth in applcation, almost like a truck only situation. Suspension seems effective, but not on rough stuff yet. Stay tuned for reports of trip back to TX over the next week as we really test this stuff out. Here's a link to pics I took during the change. http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h232/ ... %20Change/
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Tinner

Post by Tinner »

Bruce, those look great. Glad to hear you like the brakes. Can't wait to see how they do on rough roads. That should solve your weight worries, heavier axles and less $$$$$$ in your pocket..........a double whammy.
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

WOW Bruce, those are impressive axles and brakes!

Rob
campswithcritters
exempt member

Drove about 300 mi on them today and am still impressed. Roads were pretty rough and saw the trailer taking bumps much better, but no noticeable difference in things moving around. Same things that used to move still do. Noticed a lot less side sway when passing oncoming semis on 2 lane roads. The Brakes are fantastic! Only one small worry so far, I have one hub running about 170 deg while the others ran about 110 to 120. I think it could be a faulty caliper as that wheel seems to have more brake dust than the others. Axle manuf says should run below 175 so not worried about bearing seizure, but I'll be watching it closely for the next couple days and contact Mor-Ryde if it doesn't cool down or if the brake dust thickens more than the others.
bop11
Cardinal Owners: 2010 3150 RL
Skype ID: bill.bopra

Post by bop11 »

CWC,
Those shiny brakes and clean suspension parts are sure pretty. Just wondering how the new truck is doing. Is your milege as good with the Chevy as it was with the Dodge? Do ya miss bangin them 6 gears? :lol:
Bill & Penny
2010 3150 RL "The Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2013/67 and have put put 8566 miles on the Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2014 63
Night out in 2015. 88
Nights out so far in 2016. 58
More fun to come!
campswithcritters
exempt member

bop11 wrote:CWC,
Those shiny brakes and clean suspension parts are sure pretty. Just wondering how the new truck is doing. Is your milege as good with the Chevy as it was with the Dodge? Do ya miss bangin them 6 gears? :lol:
Mileage is exactly 1 mpg less than the Dodge so far, but still under 6K miles so hoping for a bit better after more breaking in. Hate to admit it but I do not miss bangin around the shifter. Power is plentiful and comfort level is nicer. Liking the GM just fine! But I miss the Cummins logo on the side. :lol:
MARK33062
Cardinal Owners: 2007 36-2BHLE

Post by MARK33062 »

Ok, I Just have to ask after all the money spent on the Mor-Ryde suspension why didn't you complete the system with the Mor-Ryde pin box. is the trail aire or 5th airborne better ??
MARK & KATHY
2007 - 36-2BHLE
2010 - DODGE/ RAM 3500 HEAVY DUTY Crew Cab 4x4 Dually (6.7) Cummins
campswithcritters
exempt member

MARK33062 wrote:Ok, I Just have to ask after all the money spent on the Mor-Ryde suspension why didn't you complete the system with the Mor-Ryde pin box. is the trail aire or 5th airborne better ??
Trailair was already paid for. It works fine for me.
campswithcritters
exempt member

An update for those interested, the rig has been sitting for a month while I was working so therefore the delay in update. The high hub temp was a definite caliper problem, even after sitting a month when I jacked it up today could not turn that wheel (bearings were ok but caliper would not release), Mor-Ryde had Kodiak Trailer (the brake folks) direct ship a new hub assembly with bearings, a caliper, and all new hardware to me. Disassembly and replacement took about 2 hours including bleeding and now I have a wheel that turns when the brakes are not appplied! Taking off in a couple days for Idaho so will be monitoring temps closely but I am convinced problem is solved. The rockies should be a good test bed for the already impressive disc system.
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Hey Bruce,

Did you have to drop down your underbelly to remove old shocks and weld new system in place.

If so do you have any pictures with underbelly off.

On a second note take it easy coming to the Northwest with that new super brake system, our grounds are getting dry and we watch for 2008 Fords and high power dics breaks.
Have a great and safe trip and we will see you on the coast in Aug. If you need any help on the road with any repairs, tools, shop, etc. as you get closer to WA feel free to call me 360-414-7047 for help.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
campswithcritters
exempt member

The whole swap out was done without any underbelly removal George, so sorry no pics with it off. In one pic you will note one belly panel hanging down, that was just the normal lost a couple screws, second occurance, and repaired on the spot by me while it was on the jacks.
Gonna attempt getting up there with my 07 Classic Duramax, hopeful that it can be done even without a forest fire starter kit installed!
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Olbird wrote:If so do you have any pictures with underbelly off.
George, I took some pictures under a 29rkle that had no sheeting. Is there anything in particular you're looking for?

Rob

Here's an example showing the black water tank and valve:
campswithcritters
exempt member

Ok folks day one showed all hubs running within 5 deg of each other and man can this thing stop....very impressed.
yogi154

Post by yogi154 »

Hi Bruce
Wondering what temps are you getting ???? I towed out thirty five miles last weekend at 80 plus temp . axle temp was about the same temp around 85 deg . and tires were 100 degs I thought the temps were good but don't have any thing to compare to The truck tires were 115 deg I guess that's ok too

Happy Camping Wayne
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Hello Rob,

That picture tells me a lot, if you have more you can send them to me at george@57olbird.com

I am going to weld gusset supports on frame I-Beams flanges to prevent flex in the axle area.

I wanted to see how they installed cross braces from side to side on the frame, Rob you know me by now when I think the factory could have spent a little extra time to better engineer something and I start to critique a possible future problem I don't stop until I come up with a improvment.

I just changed all the suspension bolts and bushing so they can be greased and groved bronze bushing for grease to freely flow into joints.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW