Chocks for 36-2BH

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
jamespatrick4

Chocks for 36-2BH

Post by jamespatrick4 »

The distance between the tires on my 36-2BH is about 1.5 inches so my old chocks do not work (those are designed for a minimum clearance of 2.5 inches). I saw another type on CW's web site that advertised it fits 1.5 inch spacing between tires but the reviews turned me off (in addition to one reviewer who noted that the advertised 1.5 inches is wrong and is really about 2 inches, which would not work for me).

What type of between-the-tire chock do those of you who have similar wheel clearances use?

Thanks.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

This is what I have and they are very high quality

http://www.rotochok.com/
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Roto-Choks! Pricey but very good quality and function!
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
jamespatrick4

Post by jamespatrick4 »

Thanks. Yes, they are a little pricey but it looks like a quality product so it's worth it. I expect to have even more movement in this unit than in my previous fiver, which was only 30 feet long.
Diesel Dave 04
Cardinal Owners: 2007 36-2BH

Post by Diesel Dave 04 »

jamespatrick4 wrote:Thanks. Yes, they are a little pricey but it looks like a quality product so it's worth it. I expect to have even more movement in this unit than in my previous fiver, which was only 30 feet long.
I have installed the www.plugitright.com stableizers and i dont even need any special wheel chocks i only block it from rolling when i unhitch. :D

On edit: I corrected the link so it would work
2008 Crew Cab 4X4 DRW 6.4 Turbo 4:10 gears. rebuilt engine at 59,338 miles broken #8 piston,tugging on A 2015 3800 FL full body paint
fix 7.3 , 6.0 AND now 6.4s Powerstroke diesels.
jamespatrick4

Post by jamespatrick4 »

I called Rotochok yesterday and ordered a pair. I spoke with a very nice person and she was very helpful. It seems like they are a good ol' small business who will stand by their product so I'm happy to buy from them. I will seriously consider Diesel Dave's suggestion about the Plugitright front stabilizer since once I get the 5th Airborne hitch installed, my king pin stabilizer will not work.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

That would be the owners wife you spoke to. Did she talk you into two of them?
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Post by Don Wilson »

James,

Why would your kingpin stabilizer not still work with the fifth airborne. Will it be to tall to fit under the pin?

I do not have an air suspension hitch and by no means have personal knowledge. However I believe it takes a lot of pressure to move the suspension on airborne and I wouldn't think just being parked and the movement inside the trailer would have enough of an effect that you could not still use your kingpin stablizer.

Maybe someone with an air pinbox can give their experince?

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
jamespatrick4

Post by jamespatrick4 »

Mike: Yes, I bought two of them. I had pretty much decided to purchase two since one of the CGs we frequent has sites on a hill with a steep decline down the the lower part of the CG. Although the sites themselves are pretty level, I don't want to take any risks at all that the rig will move. Besides, I subscribe to the "better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it" theory.

Don, you might be right about the kingpin stabilizer still doing its job even with the 5th Airborne. It was just a guess on my part that the cushion would allow some movement, thus negating the stabilizing effect of the stabilizer. Maybe someone with both can chime in or I will have to wait until mine is installed and report back.

James
Tim

Post by Tim »

The RotoChok folks are great. When Kenda swapped out my tires in Feb 05 and I ended up with more space between tires, I ordered just the replacement wedges from them and had them in a couple of days. When I replace the tires on there now and go from the 80 to 85 series tire again, I'll put the small wedges back on.
jamespatrick4

Post by jamespatrick4 »

The Rotochoks came in yesterday and I tried them out last night - rig is parked on the street in front of my house which slopes down by several degrees. My impression? Very nice, indeed! Unless a rig is always parked on level ground, and given the close distance between the tires (at least on the 36-2BH) I don't see why anyone would blink an eye over spending what amounts to a few extra bucks on these choks.

Thanks for the recommendation!

James