Maiden Voyage with new 36-2BHLE

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
Shawn.L.Turbo

Maiden Voyage with new 36-2BHLE

Post by Shawn.L.Turbo »

Well, we embarked on the maiden voyage of our new Cardinal this weekend. Took an extra day off to make it a 4 day weekend, so we got to spend some good time giving it a live-in.

Nothing major mishaps or issues, just a few minor ones:

1) Furnace fan starts making a funny squeeky noise about 1 minute before it's due to shut off. This furnace has one SERIOUS blower. We already call it the "turbo furnace". Just the annoying odd noise near the end of it's cycle.

2) Discovered the hard way that there is a second grey water valve. Oops. :shock:

3) Seal on the emergency exit window (beside the table and chairs) not so good. Driving rain was blowing it up through the weep hole, and I could hear the wind howling through the gap in the seal.

4) Have to remember to park the rig to situate the sewer fitting at the campsite BETWEEN the front and rear sewer outlet to prevent having to pull forward to reach the back outlet.

Overall, we were very impressed with the maiden voyage. The "livability" of the rig is extremely good, with good placement of the things you would need day to day.

On the towing side, I can definately feel the extra weight over our old trailer. Although it seemed a lot heavier, power didn't seem to be a real issue. I was impressed how it yanked it up those mountain hills.

We drove home today in pretty nasty crosswinds, and although I could feel them from time to time, they were never into the squirelly category.

I find myself driving slower with this rig, because common sense tells me this thing is going to need a lot more room to slow it down.

Lastly, this thing is clearly going to take more practice to back up.
It's clearly in a different class from our old 29 footer.

That's the maiden report. :D

Shawn
bop11
Cardinal Owners: 2010 3150 RL
Skype ID: bill.bopra

Post by bop11 »

ShawnL.
Glad to here all went well with the maiden voyage. Your dealer shouldn't have any problem fixing that window.
I'd have him check that blower, could be a bad bearing causing the unusual noise.
Bill & Penny
2010 3150 RL "The Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2013/67 and have put put 8566 miles on the Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2014 63
Night out in 2015. 88
Nights out so far in 2016. 58
More fun to come!
Rob & Cathy

Re: Maiden Voyage with new 36-2BHLE

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Shawn.L.Turbo wrote:4) Have to remember to park the rig to situate the sewer fitting at the campsite BETWEEN the front and rear sewer outlet to prevent having to pull forward to reach the back outlet.

Lastly, this thing is clearly going to take more practice to back up.
It's clearly in a different class from our old 29 footer.
Good report Shawn, it sounds like your maiden voyage was a real success story.

I was surprise to read that you have two sewer connections. Is that do to the length of your trailer?

I know what you mean in regard to backing up. I've always had some type of conventional trailer (horse, boat, tt) but this is my first 5th-wheel and I still find that I have to stop and make adjustment while backing that I never did with my other trailers.

Rob
jamespatrick4

Post by jamespatrick4 »

Shawn,

Contratulations on the new rig. Do you have the second bath option in the rear or the extra beds (we went with the extra beds on our 36-2BH)? I don't know if your reference to a 2nd gray water tank meant that rear bath tank.

We also have a noise coming from our furnace blower but it sounds more like a higher pitched vibration than a squeak. It seems like its a ball bearing issue so there might have been a bad batch that went into these furnaces. It happens. Also, are you getting air flow into the master bedroom? Ours is minimal (doesn't move the flame on a lighted match).

I see you and I have similar trucks (our is the 2006 3500 Quad Cab 4x4, long bed, DRW). Do you have an air hitch? I have one on order from CW and will report backc when it gets installed.

Again, congrats on the new rig!

James
Shawn.L.Turbo

Post by Shawn.L.Turbo »

Thanks everyone. We did have a good time in it.
jamespatrick4 wrote: Do you have the second bath option in the rear or the extra beds (we went with the extra beds on our 36-2BH)? I don't know if your reference to a 2nd gray water tank meant that rear bath tank.
Yes, we have the half bath option. The rear half bathroom drains the sink and toilet into the same blackwater tank. The second greywater valve I was referring to was at the front, where there are three valves, one black, two grey. So in total, this one has two black valves, and two grey valves.
jamespatrick4 wrote: We also have a noise coming from our furnace blower but it sounds more like a higher pitched vibration than a squeak.

I guess the sound were hear could be called that too - it's hard to describe. The funny thing is that it only seems to do it when it's in the cool-down part of the cycle, just before it shuts down.[/quote]
jamespatrick4 wrote: Also, are you getting air flow into the master bedroom? Ours is minimal (doesn't move the flame on a lighted match).
It's funny, I should have mentioned this in the original post. You're absolutely right - there is very little flow into the master bedroom. There is a LOT of flow into the rear bedroom, as I'm sure you're aware. We pretty near cooked the kids out of there one night. LOL
I think I will block one of the two vents in the rear bedroom just to force more air up front and see how that works.

Wonder if you have come up with a solution or workaround for it?
jamespatrick4 wrote: I see you and I have similar trucks (our is the 2006 3500 Quad Cab 4x4, long bed, DRW). Do you have an air hitch? I have one on order from CW and will report backc when it gets installed.
If you mean the Trail-Air hitch on the trailer, then yes, ours came with it installed as part of the package.
I haven't towed without the air ride on this particular trailer, so I don't know the relative improvement, but I can tell you that considering how much weight is back there, it does seem to ride remarkably well.

My wife made an unsolicited comment that this ride is much smoother than the old one, which she thought bucked and chucked a lot more.

Shawn
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

Congrats Shawn on a good maiden voyage!!! Here's to many wonderful camping memories!!
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Maiden Voyage

Post by Don Wilson »

Shawn,

Congatulations on your new Cardinal.

Glad the maiden voyage was relativly problem free. The more you use it the more you will like it! There are going to be small things you will find out about it the more you use it.

You will get lots of tips from people on the board, but if you have the chance to go to a rally and discuss things in person with other owners you will gain insight and ideas about your Cardinal. I have had mine for two and 1/2 years and picked up tips at our recent rally in California!

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
snookman35

Post by snookman35 »

Sounds like a great trip Does any one have a actuall weight on a dry 362bh?
Shawn.L.Turbo

Post by Shawn.L.Turbo »

snookman35 wrote:Sounds like a great trip Does any one have a actuall weight on a dry 362bh?
I do actually. I did this because I had asked the question earlier, but no one knew specifically.

My weight below is dry with the exception of two full propane bottles and a battery - but the math is pretty easy there.

I ran mine over the local scales on the way home from the dealer:

Pin Weight: 2,292 lbs.
Trailer Axle(s) Weight: 10,449 lbs.

Total UVW: 12,741 lbs.

Mine did come with a 27" Television which may add a bit to the hitch weight.

Hope that helps,

Shawn
snookman35

Post by snookman35 »

Perfect Thank You Shawn :D