Tire Help

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
DanDDan

Tire Help

Post by DanDDan »

2004 Cardinal 29WBLE.. Need help. Tires on there now are G rated 110 PSI 3420 lbs.. can not seem to find any. The question is did that trailer come with G rated tires or E rated 80 PSI 3042 lbs trailer has GVW 12000 lbs Dan
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Not sure what your's came with Dan, but everything I have seen with 6000lb axles (12000lb total) has E rated from the factory, also if the rims are 6 lug most of those rims are limited to 80 PSI (stamped on the inside of the rim against the brake drum). E-rated will definitely hold your rig safely unless you are overloaded severely, if in doubt weigh it. My two axles weigh 11500 and have over 30K miles on E-rated tires all within limits and running 80 PSI. I personally recommend the Michelin XPS Rib LT tire, they are doing very well by me and several others.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Tires

Post by Don Wilson »

Hi DanDDan,

I have a 2004 29WBLX and it came with 235-85-r16 E rated tire at 80 psi but the sticker on the side of the trailer with that information from the factory show that the original equipment was a 15 inch tire. However I think they up graded to the 16 inch on all trailers

Hope this was of some help!

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
Tim

Post by Tim »

My 2005 29WBLE came with the 235-85-r16 E rated tires at 80 psi. When Kenda swapped them out, they gave me 235-80-R16 tire rated at 90 PSI. I believe the standard tire for the 29WBLE is the E rated tire. That's what i plan to get next. Like Don, my side data panel lists 235-85-R16 tires, but lists PSI per tire at 60#. Wierd, but that is what the data plate reads. Hope this helps. Tim
bop11
Cardinal Owners: 2010 3150 RL
Skype ID: bill.bopra

Post by bop11 »

I contacted a Karrier tire rep about the Loadstar tires on my 5r and he told me to air them up to 90 psi cold, he said they are "designed to take more pressure as the temparature in the tire increases."
I specifically remembered that during my PDI the technician told me that the wheels were designed to only go up to 80 psi.
Rod Batts answered this by telling me that the wheel manufacturer had increased the wheel pressure to 90 psi. This was confirmed for me by Mr. Bob Barber of American Tire and Wheel. I know this doesn't account for the 10% increase in pressure when they heat up but I beleive not following the tire recommendation will cause me more grief than being a little over on the wheel maximum.
Our 5r has the 5 lug white steel wheels and so far the tires are running cool and yes I do air them up to the 90 psi suggested by Karrier. If I have trouble I don't want them to tell me it was caused by low air pressure.
Sorry about the rambling but I felt this information should be put out for all to see. :roll:
Bill & Penny
2010 3150 RL "The Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2013/67 and have put put 8566 miles on the Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2014 63
Night out in 2015. 88
Nights out so far in 2016. 58
More fun to come!
DanDDan

Post by DanDDan »

Thanks for all the quick responses. This has to be the greatest forum for getting answers in a hurry. It helped me to decide and get E rated tires which should be plenty. Thanks Dan
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Hello Dan,

Take a look at my recent post listing all the 5th wheels that came with G rated tires starting in 2004, all others came with E rated tires and as Bruce stated for a E rated tire go with the Michelin XPS Rib LT tire.
I have found that Michelin has under rated this tire, the XPS has proven on the road performance on many 5th wheels and well worth the added cost.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW