Aluminum Roof trusses?

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
snookman35

Aluminum Roof trusses?

Post by snookman35 »

Ok So we are ready to order Any One know how muck lighter the Aluminum is over The standard? Are the standard Steel? Or Wood?
Thanks
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

How can we determine what we have?

Rob
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Rob, Pull down a roof vent inner cover, they are usually adjacent to a truss. Mine has the aluminum option the only draw-back is aluminum tranfers heat and cold much easier, i.e. no insulation value, but then again we all have aluminum in our walls.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

I pulled down the vent cover in the kitchen to check on a leak an all I could see around the vent was wood. I thought they may have wood frames for the vent to screw on to even with aluminum trusses.

Rob
campswithcritters
exempt member

Rob & Cathy wrote:I pulled down the vent cover in the kitchen to check on a leak an all I could see around the vent was wood. I thought they may have wood frames for the vent to screw on to even with aluminum trusses.

Rob
You are probably right, I've never had mine down. Perhaps a light fixture or surround sound speaker near a truss?
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Now I'm curious. I may just have to pull down the woofer to see what I can see.

Rob
campswithcritters
exempt member

Rob & Cathy wrote:Now I'm curious. I may just have to pull down the woofer to see what I can see.

Rob
I would not have known, but came across our options list when we cleaned out our stick home.
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Hello Rob,

Pull down the vent in the bath, the wood frame around the vent does not go to the ceiling.
Look past the opening and you can see the trusses, if they are aluminum they will be bright silver.

Don't try pulling the woofer down it is a pain, they have a big wooden box under that plastic cover mounted to more wood cross braces. If you take all that down you can see but that box is heavy to handle and get the screws back in.

George:
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Thanks for the heads-up George. I thought it could be a pain because of it's size and I would have to be on a ladder to remove it. I'll remove the vent cover in the bath and see what I can see.

Rob
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Olbird wrote:Pull down the vent in the bath, the wood frame around the vent does not go to the ceiling.
Look past the opening and you can see the trusses, if they are aluminum they will be bright silver.
Yep, that's the place to check. I did find aluminum trusses and plenty of installation.

Thanks George.

Rob
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Re: Aluminum Roof trusses?

Post by Don Wilson »

My 04 has wood which was standard back then, but does anyone have an answer for Snookman on the difference in weight between wood and aluminum?

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
campswithcritters
exempt member

Yes sorry Don, we overlooked that, aluminum is always lighter than wood when formed in an extrusion. It is also rot resistant compared to wood. however salt water can make quick corrsion of aluminum. Basically if you do not plan to invert a unit in salt water, aluminum has the prefered characteristics for an RV