Need Expert Advise!

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
Judi
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30 TS

Need Expert Advise!!

Post by Judi »

Can anyone tell me if there is a checklist to hitching a 5th posted somewhere on this site? I realize that each person's checklist is different from the next person, but if I had an example of someone's list that would be great. It may be posted on here already but I just dont really know where to look. Thank you very much!
Judi
Full Timer Want-to-be
2007 TS30
2004 Chevy 2500HD 6.6L D'Max
gmarker
Cardinal Owners: 2005 29WBLE

Post by gmarker »

OK folks, this sounds like something everybody could use. Why don't we put our heads together and see if we can come with something. Seems like it should be two lists. One for unhooking and setting up and another for decamping and hooking up. Anybody want to start it? Could be especially useful for newbies and us old folks with bad memories.
GERRY & KAY
2005 29WBLE
20011 FORD F250 LARIOT 6.7 POWERSTROKE
MAX the WONDERCAT
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Re: Need Expert Advise!!

Post by campswithcritters »

Judi wrote:Can anyone tell me if there is a checklist to hitching a 5th posted somewhere on this site? I realize that each person's checklist is different from the next person, but if I had an example of someone's list that would be great. It may be posted on here already but I just dont really know where to look. Thank you very much!
Although I say use one mine is mental so let's see how I do others jump in and find my oversights or forgot to types!
1. Visual check that when hitch lever slid in it did not high hitch and positive engagement was accomplished.
2. Ensure Electrical connector and brake pull cable connected.
3. Bring jacks up 2 inches, all weight off. From inside truck lock trailer brakes manually and attempt forward movement of truck, bring jacks fully up.
4. Turn on emergency flashers and parking lights, do a walk around to check all lights on trailer are working.
5. Turn off both flashers and parking lights and do another walk around to ensure antenna down. awning secured, steps up, walk up handle folded, chocks removed, all hook-ups disconnected, and 3 dogs/1 wife in truck, and all jacks are up. Look both up & down and take your time!
6. Do another walk around while thinking about all the inside duties also. TVs secured, dining chairs and lounge chairs secured, all sliding doors secured, slides in, etc,

Take it for a few miles then pull over and check things while doubting yourself the first few times. Best to have both parties questioning each other when there are 2. Not uncommon here for wife to ask Did you check the lights? or Is the hitch locked? Not uncommon for me to ask if all furniture secured? or if all movable art work removed from walls?
More checklists are available doing a search on trailerlife.com and other sites. Don't trust just me! Search out more information, knowledge and expeience are key to happy camping! If you get the knowledge experience will work its way in! Enjoy!
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
jennyt

Post by jennyt »

This is one that I had from when we first started - I pilfered it off the internet and haven't looked at it in a while - but it might help.

1. Check tire pressure for TV & 5th wheel
2. Adjust tow vehicle mirrors.
3. Close forward basement door prior to truck backing.
4. Retract rear stabilizers.
5. Lower truck tailgate. Back truck to approach hitching position.
6. Adjust fifth wheel kingpin using landing gear to proper hitch height of pickup.
7. Back truck to engage pin - ensuring pin is not high centered. Apply truck parking brake.
8. Check for full hitch engagement and insert lock pin on hitch
9. Connect the umbilical cord and breakaway switch cable.
10. Raise landing gear.
11. Remove chocks & stow.
12. Verify trailer lights.
13. Raise truck tailgate.
14. Pull forward to remove any levelling blocks.
15. Walk around unit to check all windows, roof vents, antenna and basement doors.
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

I have the 8' bed and a 18K lb 4 way hitch. Lots easier to hitch up. I've been pulling trailers for 30 years and the best advice I got when I got started is "Slow down and take your time". Check and double check, and when backing up, the slower the better, you're not in a race you know. :D One other thing I do is after the lights check, I walk around AGAIN, inside and out, climb the ladder to check the antenna is REALLY in the stowed position, look under both the trailer and the truck, give the handle on the hitch another pull to ensure it is secure, then get in and roll slow and do a trailer brake check.

Enjoy!
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.