Need Expert Advise!

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
Judi
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30 TS

Need Expert Advise!

Post by Judi »

We are about to purchase a 2006 TS30. We have a 23' travel trailer now and have never owned a 5th. With that said, I have never hitched one up either. I know that the dealership is going to go thru every detail before we pull out, but with that said, the 2 of us are 2 women, 57 and 59 who just love to camp and decided on a joint venture in owning a 5th and decided on the Cardinal. Are we making a mistake? Is this 5th going to be too hard for us to handle in hitching and setting up? We mastered the travel trailer with the 4-point Equilizer sway bar, etc. and everyone says this is easier but I have read horror stories about the hitch not being attached properly and it falling into the bed of the truck, etc. Please give us some advise as to what to do and not to do? We are not spring chickens, however, with that said, we are always up for a challange and learning new things. We will be pulling it with a 2004 2500 diesel Chevy truck. Thanks in advance for any help!
Judi
Full Timer Want-to-be
2007 TS30
2004 Chevy 2500HD 6.6L D'Max
virgil
Cardinal Owners: 2005 30 LE

Post by virgil »

What i did was make a check list, have one for hitching and one for unhitching, i follow that and have had no problems ,and yes , i think it is easier than hitching a TT. By the way I lived in Thibodaux for 30 years,
Have fun and enjoy,
2002 F250 Supercab PSD
2005 Cardinal 30` LE

ImageImage
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

Hi Judi, and welcome to the club. You have one of our favorite cg's right there in Morgan City....Lake End Park.

I have heard many people say that a 5er is so much easier than a tt....there will soon be answers for you by ohters who have owned both. Congratulations on your choice and we are here to help you in any way we can. Be sure to check out the club flag also and for the get togethers in our region.

Linda
rosey
Cardinal Owners: 07 Cardinal 34QS

Post by rosey »

You are having the same apprehensions that I did before purchasing my 37ft 34qs after getting used to pulling a 31 ft TT. I traded my 1/2 ton truck and bought a one ton "dually" diesel then ordered our Cardinal. Although DW and I were initially nervous about hooking up and towing, it has turned out to be one of the best things that we have done. Our dealer was fantastic. He showed us how to hook up and un-hook then let us practice several times while in his lot. Once you get used to it you will be OK. He will also show you how to make certain that the "pin" is locked into the hitch. The "horror" stories that you hear about the 5er crashing onto the truck is usually caused by folks who don't take the time to check and double check that the pin is locked into the hitch(some rush) and he will be able to show you what to look for..........be up to the challenge for change........you won't regret it!!!!!!!!!..........Good luck!!!!!!
Gayle & Mike Rosenblatt "Rosey"
Our Furry Camping Kids; "Ting-Tang,Saylor,& Kai"
07 Cardinal 34QS;4 Slides;Optional Paint;Bigfoot
07 Chevy Silverado LT3 3500 Duramax Dually Longbed CC;Allison;Titan 62 Gal(Super Ser.)fuel tank
Judi

Need Expert Advise!!

Post by Judi »

Thank you for your encouragement...also, with that said, I need to ask you one more question. The 2500 Diesel Chevy that we are getting today has an 8 ft. bed....is that going to present any problems...some people say that a shorter 6' bed is best for backing up, while others say that the 8' is better and also (boy I am full of questions!) do you recommend that pull-rite slider hitch? I know it is $2000 more but I want this rigged up correctly....thanks again for any input.
Judi
Full Timer Want-to-be
2007 TS30
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

Judi....ask all the questions you want...ask until you feel comfortable. We have some great people on this forum and the guys here are exceptional with advice and explaining how things work.
Judi

Need Expert Advise!!!

Post by Judi »

Wow, that makes me feel at home already....what a great bunch of people! Thanks so much for the welcome! Yes, Lake End Park is a great place. Even though we live in Morgan City, we like to camp there for the weekend alot! If you shut your eyes and click your heels 3 times, like Dorothy on the Wizard of Oz, you would not even know you were in Morgan City!
Judi
Full Timer Want-to-be
2007 TS30
Tinner

Post by Tinner »

Hi Judi,

Welcome to the club and congrats on the 5er. You do not need to spend the money for a slider hitch if you have the 8 ft. bed. Those are designed for short bed trucks so the connection point will slide to the rear when you need to make a sharp turn. It gives you more clearance between the truck cab and the 5er. I suggest you go with a good four way pivot hitch and if your 5er requires a 15,000 hitch step up to a 16,000 or 18,000. You can then use the difference in price from the slider to have a cushioned pin box installed to give you a much smoother ride in the truck and for your trailer. A Trailair would pin box would be my first choice or a 5th Airborne. You should be able to get both the hitch and pin box and be under the cost of that slider. You'll find the 5th wheel pulls and handles much better than a bumper pull trailer because the pivot point of the trailer is over your axle. Take it to a big empty parking lot and set up some cones (boxes will work) and practice backing in between them as if backing into a camping spot. Good luck to you, enjoy the step up to a 5th wheel and with a little practice you'll love it. Oh yes, do invest in a good brake controller like a Prodigy, for $50 or so more you'll be glad you did. Happy trails.

Ronnie
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

I have been towing trailers and 5ers for over 30 years now :oops: (wheres the old person smiley) I think you will find that towing the 5er is much easier then the TT. Like said above make sure the pin is locked, make sure you have around 7" of clearance when they set you up between the bed rail of the truck and the trailer ( this helps keep the good olé 5er dimples off your truck.) 8' bed as far as I am concerned is the way to go.

Never to many questions on this site! Enjoy your new rig.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
jennyt

Post by jennyt »

Hi Judy :D Welcome to our little group - as you can see we aren't shy when people ask us stuff! 8) I had never pulled a trailer at all before we got our Cardinal and after being shown a couple of times how to hook up and unhook I think it's pretty easy. I do think that a checklist to begin with would be handy as I used to panic about forgetting a step when we first got the camper. Now I realize it isn't hard at all! :lol: Of course Scott does it 99% of the time, but I wanted to make sure that I could do it. I always figured if he really ticks me off I could have that sucker hooked up and out the driveway in a heartbeat :lol: :lol: :lol:

We have a short bed and have the slider hitch and definitely need it, but I agree that with a long bed truck you won't.

I don't know what the others think, but if I were to do it over again, we would probably get the 4-way pivot hitch. There has been a time or two when we have been on uneven ground and Scott has had to fight to get us hitched back up. That is probably my only recommendation over what you have told us already.

I think you are doing the right thing - I think you will love the 5er compared to a trailer. :lol:
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

The 8ft bed will work very well. Read ALL the instructions that come with your hitch. Ask the sales people to explain a pull test, and to explain how to look for high hitching. Visually checking for high hitching and performing a pull test will keep that trailer off the truck bed rails. You will find the 5th wheel much faster and easier than equalizer bars etc. I have seen many ladies hitching and pulling 5th wheels so lose the fears, read the directions, and create a checklist then get out there and enjoy your new Redbird! Welcome to the family!
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
snowidow

Post by snowidow »

Welcome to the club! I think you will find that it is easier than you thought. It is really important to use your check list each and every time though. You have a good 5er/TV combo, it will work well for you.
gmarker
Cardinal Owners: 2005 29WBLE

Post by gmarker »

I think you will find the 5'r much easier to hook up and far more stable when pulling than the TT. The 8ft bed would be my choice and that eliminates the need for a slider hitch. Pull-rite Super 5'r is what I have and I'm very happy with it. See you on the road!
GERRY & KAY
2005 29WBLE
20011 FORD F250 LARIOT 6.7 POWERSTROKE
MAX the WONDERCAT
Judi

Need Expert Advise!!

Post by Judi »

You guys are wonderful. Thanks SO much for the welcome and advise! Will be looking forward to rallies or get togethers in the future!
Judi
Full Timer Want-to-be
2007 TS30
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Welcome

Post by Don Wilson »

Judy,

Welcome to the club! You have recieved lots of good advise already! The one thing you should try to do on your travels is checkout the campgrounds and try to make sure you get parks with pull thru sites.

Backing the trailer is what I have found the most difficult! I have also found that my wife backs much better than I do! :lol: !! You can practice backing in a large parking lot. If you have access to cones set them up in a line and practicing keeping the trailer in between them.

Don

My wife Dawn is also good at backing .She can put it anywhere you need it.

Charles
Last edited by Don Wilson on Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5