Can't Get Disc Brakes on New Cardinal From Factory

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
Donpop
Cardinal Owners: 2008 Cardinal 34QS

Can't Get Disc Brakes on New Cardinal From Factory

Post by Donpop »

Stopped by and picked up a new brochure on new Cardinal 5th Wheel. Told salesman that any new unit would have to have double pane windows, second air cond, optional suspension and disc brakes. He said disc brakes were not available???

Do disc brakes have to be installed as an after market item??

Don
2008 Cardinal 34QS
Kodiak Disc Brakes
2012 Ford F350 SD XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW 6.7
RDS 40 Gal Aux Tank/Tool Box Comb
Double tow 2 Yamaha Grizzly ATVs
Donpop
Cardinal Owners: 2008 Cardinal 34QS

Post by Donpop »

Cardinal Man:

Yes, B&B and just so happened I talked to Brian. We bought our present Cardinal from B&B but salesman was Jim Lewis who is no longer with them.
I could probably live without the disc brakes but they are becoming much more poplar and I was really surprised they did not offer as an option. Just like double paned windows which were not available when we ordered the 2000 but now we would not even consider a new trailer without them.

Don
2008 Cardinal 34QS
Kodiak Disc Brakes
2012 Ford F350 SD XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW 6.7
RDS 40 Gal Aux Tank/Tool Box Comb
Double tow 2 Yamaha Grizzly ATVs
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

I had the disc brakes installed along with suspension and axle upgrade at Mor-Ryde in Elkhart Indiana. They use a Carlisle electro-hydraulic and the discs and calipers from Kodiak Trailer in Dallas Fort Worth. My whole package was pricey, but I am full-timing so it was a home improvement. If you just want the disc brakes I would contact Kodiak. The difference in braking is dramatic! I believe it is the best improvement I have made to my rig, very smooth and powerful stopping.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Post by Future Fulltimers »

I think you will eventually see disc brakes in the higher end trailers/fifth-wheels. But for now the industry still thinks the “R” in RV stands for recreation and as campwithcritters said, they are a little pricy.
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch