Leaking storage compartments

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
jerry
Cardinal Owners: 06 30' WBLE

Post by jerry »

Just returned from a short trip where we encountered a fairly heavy rain. Upon checking I found the drivers side storage door on my 06 30ft wble had been leaking and the bottom of the compartment was all wet. This happened several times before and I had my dealer put in a new door and frame. It seems to leak more now than it did before. I looked and felt around to make sure the water wasn't coming from up above the door and wasn't able to find any other source. Has anyone else had this problem?

Jerry
06 30 ft wble
03 Ford PS
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Never have seen that problem. Is the new frame properly caulked? Sorry no other ideas at this time.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Hi Jerry, I think I would get a hose and spray the door from the bottom up checking periodically to see if any water is getting in from the outside.

My other thought (I normally have just two, ask Mike) is are you sure it's not from the shower drain? I just changed my shower drain and seal because it was leaking and the basement by the street side door was wet.

Rob
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Hello Jerry,

I am with Rob on this one, get inside compartment if you can and let the wife hose around the door and check for any leakage.

My doors have the hinges on the side and I never latch the top side with the key, I only use the one twist latch and never have seen water leaking in even during washing.

Good luck.
George:
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
jennyt

Post by jennyt »

Rob & Cathy wrote: My other thought (I normally have just two, ask Mike) is are you sure it's not from the shower drain? I just changed my shower drain and seal because it was leaking and the basement by the street side door was wet. Rob
Rob - Even though you just have 2 thoughts - that second one was quite a good one :lol: :P :wink: Sometimes 2nd thoughts are the way to go! 8)

We have never encountered leaking through or around the door seals either. Seems like Rob's 2nd thought may be a good one to check out.
virgil
Cardinal Owners: 2005 30 LE

Post by virgil »

I had a leak in the plastic water lines , Check to see if all connections are tight. They are all easy to see and fix.
2002 F250 Supercab PSD
2005 Cardinal 30` LE

ImageImage
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Post by Future Fulltimers »

Jerry, we had the exact same problem. Found that the door seal wasn't contacting the door tightly by the latches. I used a hammer to lightly tap the frame metal (that the seal attaches to) toward the door to make it seal properly.
Hope this helps.
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch
RedBird30
Cardinal Owners: 2007 Cardinal 30TS

Post by RedBird30 »

Jerry,

I had a small amount of water getting in my driver side compartment. I had not been locking the top locking latch and without being locked it was not getting a solid seal. Started making sure both were secured and no problem with water since. On my previous TT, I had a storage compartment door leak that was hinged from the top. I put a bead of clear silicone down the length of the piano hinge and had no more problems with it.
'07 Cardinal 30TS w/Colton Blue Interior
'07 GMC 2500HD Serria Classic SLT Duramax/Allison 4x4
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Also since Rob had a second thought check to see if your shower door is leaking. I had to re caulk mine the water would leak out the bottom of the door and find its way to my storage compartment.

My last 5er had a leaky compartment door and I had to re do the weather strip.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
wild acres

Post by wild acres »

Hi Jerry, just a thought, since its on the drivers side, does your truck have mud flaps on it? If not, it could be your driver wheel throwing water on the front panel of the rv, where the battery vent is, and if the top of the battery compartment is loose like mine, you could get water in that way. Just a thought. John
jerry
Cardinal Owners: 06 30' WBLE

Post by jerry »

Well, I climbed into the storage compartment, shut the door, and had DW spray a water hose below and above the door. The water from above came into the compartment like the gasket was not even there. For some reason when my dealer installed this new door and frame two months ago, the door seemed to stick out at the top, apparently failing to make much contact with the frame and seal. The door they installed was a little different than the one that came with the new unit. The one they installed had something similar to piano hinges on it whereas the original door did not. When I mentioned this to my dealer, they said that was the door the factory sent them to replace my old door.

I just contacted my dealer, Terry Vaughn RV- Alvin, Tx. and they set up an appointment for August 21.

Thanks for all the help,

Jerry
06 30' wble
03 ford ps
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Jerry, I had very good service from the Terry V dealer in Alvin. I hope you get the same. If not please let me know, I've bought 2 rigs from them and would stop by and tell them I'm disappointed next time I'm in the area, and will shop elsewhere for future rig. Sorry for your problems but sounds like they are trying to stand behind the product, I hope that is the case.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")