Rear Bumper

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
MARK33062
Cardinal Owners: 2007 36-2BHLE

Rear Bumper

Post by MARK33062 »

I have a 36-2 BH LE 2007 model and we are currently on a trip. During which I purchased a "Swagman" 2" receiver mount to attach a bike rack to the bumper. Instructions stated not to exceed 300 lbs. W/ 3 bikes and rack installed we took off north to VA. In NC I noticed that the rear bumper had dropped slightly from the frame mounting bolts. Poor design on FR's part to say the least. Now several days later while driving the square tube bumper began to tear apart around the welds dragging the bikes on the ground.
Has anyone else had problems with the bumper ?? Where do you mount bikes?
I know the weight was well within the guide ?? Forrest River says that the bumper will handle the weight, and is designed to do so??
Whats ya'll's opinion. Scrap the stock bumper and have a good one fabricated
MARK & KATHY
2007 - 36-2BHLE
2010 - DODGE/ RAM 3500 HEAVY DUTY Crew Cab 4x4 Dually (6.7) Cummins
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Hi Mark

This is what I have:
I mount two trail bikes on the rack. Initially I thought the receive might buckle the bumper when I clammed it on but it seems quite strong. I've used this setup for two years now with no problems.

Do you have the same bumper?

Rob
rosey
Cardinal Owners: 07 Cardinal 34QS

Post by rosey »

We ordered our 34qs with the optional receiver hitch which is welded to the frame so that we can use a bike carrier and hitch mounted spare tire carrier. I would suggest that you try to find a welding shop that can weld a 2 " receiver (hitch) to your frame. Much more stable and no chance of you ripping off your bumper.
Gayle & Mike Rosenblatt "Rosey"
Our Furry Camping Kids; "Ting-Tang,Saylor,& Kai"
07 Cardinal 34QS;4 Slides;Optional Paint;Bigfoot
07 Chevy Silverado LT3 3500 Duramax Dually Longbed CC;Allison;Titan 62 Gal(Super Ser.)fuel tank
MARK33062
Cardinal Owners: 2007 36-2BHLE

Bumper

Post by MARK33062 »

Rob

Your picture shows exactly what my bumper used to look like.
Exact same set up and almost the same bike carrier (2 adult bikes and 1 kids bike)
The bumper just peeled open where the welds attach the forward runners and rolled down from there.
I like rosey"s idea of a FRAME mounted receiver.
MARK & KATHY
2007 - 36-2BHLE
2010 - DODGE/ RAM 3500 HEAVY DUTY Crew Cab 4x4 Dually (6.7) Cummins
jennyt

Post by jennyt »

We have a frame mounted reciever also and give it two thumbs up. :D We use ours to tote our generators to the races. It's a solid way to go, but you just have to find someone that can do the welding.
rvlost

Post by rvlost »

We had a 2" receiver hitch welded to our 362BH in Manassas, VA. We carry 4 bikes with a Swagman hitch.
tagilles

Post by tagilles »

If it's an 07 model and still under warranty, (even if it's not) get it documented with FR as soon as possible. That could easily be called a manufacturer defect. Contact Chad Green or R. Batts (rbatts@forestriverinc.com) at Forest River Warranty Dept. The metal should not just “peel” away at all. With it happening at a welded joint really shows poor craftsmanship, synonymous with Forest Fiver Products in the last 2-3 years. I have the 38 foot trailer and the rear bumper guards just touched the ground and they folded like tooth picks. Good luck on that one! Take pics of the area that failed, not the bike rack mount. Also try to get FR to reimburse you for the damage of the bikes. Go to a local welding shop and see if they can make you something that resembles a real bumper with proper mounting, get FR to pay for that too. Hope that’s some help. Not just what kind of bike rack I have. LOL[/i]