Propane Tank Switch-over

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
JimOMartin
Cardinal Owners: 2007 33TBH

Propane Tank Switch-over

Post by JimOMartin »

Hi -
Last night I ran out of propane and I was surprised that it didn't automatically switch over to the other tank.

I switched tanks to get going and then had the empty one filled and put it on the other side. Knowing that both tanks were full, I moved the switch from one side to the other. The tank on the same side as the switch would show green but the other one would always show red and there wasn't anything coming through the pipes with it pointed there.

Knowing the tank isn't bad, which of the other two components (regulator or the tank coupling - on the bad side) do you think would be the likely culprit? I'm figuring to start with one and see what happens. Thanks.

- Jim
Jim & Cathy Martin
2007 Cardinal 33TBH LE
2011 Chevy 3500HD D/A 4x4 LTZ Dually - Black Bart (AKA - Black Butt)
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Hi Jim, I had just the opposite problem. Mine would switch and not show that it switched and I would run both tanks empty. I ended up changing the valve to a Marshall 250. Which side is not working the curb or street?

BTW, if you want some expert advice first hand you can join us at the NW rally next weekend. There will be about half dozen of us at Winchester Bay near Reedsport Oregon.

Rob
JimOMartin

Post by JimOMartin »

It's on the street side. I think it's funny that there is another regulator on that side, when it runs into the switching regulator anyway.

I wanted to come down to the NW rally but unfortunately we had another engagement come up.

Is the one you replaced the switching regulator?

- Jim
Jim & Cathy Martin
2007 Cardinal 33TBH LE
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

JimOMartin wrote:It's on the street side. I think it's funny that there is another regulator on that side, when it runs into the switching regulator anyway.
I was just going to ask if you had that second regular. Do you by chance have an on-board generator? If you do a search on propane you will find a whole discussion on that second regulator. I don't have that second regulator but other do.
Is the one you replaced the switching regulator?

- Jim
Yep, it was the switching regulator.

Rob
JimOMartin

Post by JimOMartin »

No generator. I'll check that thread anyway. Maybe I'll be able to get something out of it.

- Jim
Jim & Cathy Martin
2007 Cardinal 33TBH LE
walmor
Cardinal Owners: 2007 29RKLE

Gas Regulator (Propane)

Post by walmor »

Jim, I also ran out of propane on one side and tank did not switch over and indicated red. Manually switched tanks, still indicated red and NO gas. I moved the full tank to the side that had been working and the regulator would not allow gas to flow.
Jerked it out went to RV dealer in the area and he took one look at it and stated that they were a piece of s===. Replaced it with different make and works perfectly.
I sent the "OLD" 2007 regulator back to Forest River with a note and they sent me a check for 49.00 to cover the cost of the new one.
I love a MFG that stand behind their bling. I think that all Mfg. use the buying public as quality control.
My 2cents, Walt
Wally and Linda Morton
2007 29RKLE
2004.5 Dodge QC 2500
JimOMartin

Post by JimOMartin »

I went to a local RV repair shop and spoke with one of the techs. I described the problem and he suggested the easiest way to figure out if the issue was with the regulator or the hose, was to swap the hoses around on the regulator and see if gas would flow. If it did, the regulator was bad. If not, the hose was bad.

Turns out my hose was bad, as others have seen, so I picked up a new one today and I'll install it tonight.

I'll post this same entry in the thread under "Miscellaneous" that covered the same issue.

Thanks for the insight.

- Jim
Last edited by JimOMartin on Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim & Cathy Martin
2007 Cardinal 33TBH LE
walmor
Cardinal Owners: 2007 29RKLE

Propane Regulator

Post by walmor »

Jim: Just a thought, the Cardinal is the only trailer of all of the people I travel with that has "ONE WAY" valves in each hose coming from the regulator. They are small brass valves that look like common brass fittings. They are at the regulator end of each hose coming from the regulator. Pull them off and blow into them they should only allow you to blow one way. One of them went bad on my very first trip in my trailer and the dealer fixed it.
That was the first thing i checked when my regulator went bad and they were alright. When I put in my new regulator I discarded them and hooked up the regulator without them. Just like the other four trailers that were with me. All of them 2007 trailers.

Just a thought
Wally and Linda Morton
2007 29RKLE
2004.5 Dodge QC 2500