Air Conditioner Heat Strip

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
Donpop
Cardinal Owners: 2008 Cardinal 34QS

Air Conditioner Heat Strip

Post by Donpop »

When we ordered our 2008 34QS a few days ago we ordered the heat strip knowing it can only be used to remove a slight chill. I want to get two new Hunter Digital Thermostats to replace the OE and assume the heat strip is in no way tied in to the thermostats. We were at the dealership this morning doing some measuring and answering some questions we have come up with since ordering. I asked the saleman if the heat strip just had a manual switch and perhaps you ran the fan on low speed. Even though he has been selling Cardinals for a long time he didn't remember ordering one with ducted air and was not sure of the procedure. I didn't want to take time to look up the service manager and said I would ask you nice folks. Anyone out there with heat strip? Thanks.

Don
2008 Cardinal 34QS
Kodiak Disc Brakes
2012 Ford F350 SD XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW 6.7
RDS 40 Gal Aux Tank/Tool Box Comb
Double tow 2 Yamaha Grizzly ATVs
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

I have a heat strip, but unfortunately no help as mine is in my 2nd add on non-ducted unit and is controlled by the faceplate. Sorry. You will like it, mine keeps the chill off down into the upper 40s without using the propane heat.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Hello Donpop,

The Factory installed heat strip works on the same thermostat.
Select heat strip or gas furnace, you cannot run both at the same time. The heat strip can be run on high fan or low fan, the furnace only runs at one speed.
Set the temperature and it will come on and off, The A/C works on high and low fan also and comes on and off from the thermostat.

ONE THEMOSAT that operates everything from factory, it can be wired to two thermostats.

George.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Donpop

Post by Donpop »

Olbird:

According to your description it sounds like the extra $75 for the heat strip was money well spent. When I stated I wanted to get two Digital Thermostats I meant one for the main and one for the second in the bedroom. I now have a Hunter 42999B that I installed and just love it. I may just have to be satisfied with the OE that comes for the main AC and install the Hunter in the bedroom. I think I will contact Hunter and see if they make one that includes the heat strip setting.

Thank you and Campswithcritters for your replies. Don
2008 Cardinal 34QS
Kodiak Disc Brakes
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin

Post by Olbird »

The $ 75.00 well money spent, we will quick heat with the furnace and than switch over to the heat strips just to keep the unit cozy. I have information on a digital thermostat that works all the equipment including heat strip also.
I have the information at work and will post it for you in a day or so, you are correct the Factory bedroom A/C will have wall thermostat also and uses the same duct system to distribute air.

George:
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
tagilles

Post by tagilles »

My wife and I ordered our tt35tbh with the two a/c units and ordered the heat strips. We only got a heat strip in the main A/C unit. The dealer ordered the heat strip for second A/C unit during the walk through. Once the part arrived they told us that the master bedroom's a/c unit could not accept the heat strip. The a/c units on my trailer do have different model numbers but I still think they are full of s---. So, one heat srtip (even with the ducting in our trailer) does nothing for the tempature. So the dealer gave us a refund for the option all together. The "warm" air from the heat strip was not even close to warm of any kind. I would recomend against this option untill Forest River puts something that acctually makes heat.
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin

Post by Olbird »

Hello tagilles,

We have a large 5th wheel and the heat strip works great, it was never designed to heat the unit in place of the furnace. As stated above we will quick heat with the furnace and than switch over to the heat strips just to keep the unit cozy.

It also seems from a few of your post and signature that you are having a few problems with your RV, always feel free to use the our great group of members to help resolve any problems you have but please reframe from ongoing negative comments.

George:
George & Julie

2022 Ford F450 DRW
tagilles

Post by tagilles »

I am sorry for the negativity. The wife and I are just tired of it being in the shop, it's been 4 months straight with 2 different dealers. Once we get it back though, I should be able to start focusing on the positive things again. Good news is, Chad Green with Forest River has been most helpful with getting the repair approved quickly. I know that this is a forum for the positive things about Cardinal ownership and trouble shooting tips; I will try to keep it to that. We are very happy with the floor plan and the features of our travel trailer though.
Thomas :D
poweredbytheholyghost

heat strip

Post by poweredbytheholyghost »

I also have the "heat strip" but have never used it until this morning. I'm not sure if i understand how to actually use it. On the thermostat that it is indicated, is that where i should attempt to adjust the temp or do i adjust the temp on the other thermostat that i normally would adjust for the furnace. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Al
tagilles

Post by tagilles »

My heat strip is installed into the main A/C unit. The thermostat for that unit has an extra setting on it "heat strip". It has 'Cool', 'Heat', 'Off', and 'Heat Strip'. All the heat strip is, is a heating element installed in the updraft of the unit. It either is on or off depending on the thermostat temp setting. Keep in mind, it will not put out more heat than a hair dryer on low heat.
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin

Post by Olbird »

Hello Al,

On the thermostat that is indicated Heat Strip that is the thermostat used to control your heat stripe temperature. Sense the heat strip produces very little heat it will most likely run all the time trying to heat your Big Bird to high temperature settings.
It will cycle on and off if the inside set temperature can be reached with the little heat capacity that the heat strip can produce.

My one factory installed thermostat controls all units AC, Propane Furnace, Heat Strip and fan speeds. The bedroom factory installed AC is controled by the bedroom wall mounted thermostat and both heaters can be used at the same time.

I think I have seen the factory put a second thermostat for the propane furnace only, if this is the case you have that thermostat will only control the propane furnace.

Most units have a thermostat on the Fantasic vent fan, this only operates the vent fan.

George;
George & Julie

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Donpop

Post by Donpop »

It was a little cooler this morning so I checked out the heat strip in our new trailer. I just let it run for ten minutes or so but it seemed to be doing just what it was designed to do, remove a slight chill from the trailer.
2008 Cardinal 34QS
Kodiak Disc Brakes
Donpop

Post by Donpop »

Olbird:

I'm still interested in changing out the OE thermostat with a digital. You stated in an earlier post that you had info on a digital that would work with everything including the heat strip. When you have time I would appreciate your looking up the model number.

I kept my Hunter from the other trailer and have installed it in the bedroom for the second air conditioner. My fantastic fan control box is up against the Duo Therm thermostat in the main area and there is not room to mount a digital which is larger but hopefully I can lower the fan control box enough to squeeze it in.

Thanks for your help. Don
2008 Cardinal 34QS
Kodiak Disc Brakes