Karrier tire tread issue--

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
markj
Cardinal Owners: Cardinal 31RKLE

Karrier tire tread issue--

Post by markj »

I've been reading the Chinese tire posting here. My Cardinal has probably 6000 miles on the Karrier's now. I noticed a small piece of tread missing after my last trip to yellowstone--probably just smaller than a dime, and in the tread only--probably down 3/8" deep. I've heard others have had this happen.

Should this pose a problem in the near run? I'm planning to replace the tires next christmas time, but will be going on gravel roads for about 25 miles next week. thanks for input.
2007 Cardinal 31RKLE
Hijacker 21K underfloor mount
Fifth Airborne pin box
2006 Ford F350 PSD extended cab
1990 Seaswirl fishing boat!
Kiki (the cat)
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

I personnaly would not trust it, how about putting the spare on and using the bad one as a spare only. A tire seperating it's tread can do extensive damage to a 5th wheel especially if it's under a slide even at low speeds.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Tires

Post by Chief409 »

After following the tire topics on here and other sites, and beating myself up on Google, I decided to go with the Michelin XPS tires on my Cardnal. $990 at Discount Tire with spin balance, and all the rest. Having seen trailer damage after a blow out or tread seperation, not to mention the possibilty of an accident, either mine or someone avoiding flying pieces of tire and trailer, I decided the cost is worth the peace of mind. Becides, I've never flown an airplane with known safety defects, and don't see any difference just becuase I'm in contact with the ground.

The Load Stars only had 1500 mi on them, and appear in good shape, anyone want some tires cheap? :wink:
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
jennyt

Post by jennyt »

If you have a decent enough spare, I think I would use it also. No telling whether that whole tread is separating, and as Bruce said, once it goes it really can do a number on the trailer. :shock: :?

Having had a tread sep ourselves while on the road, I wouldn't recommend it. :? Changing the spare while you have the room and tools available to work is WAY easier than doing it on the side of the road.
Donpop
Cardinal Owners: 2008 Cardinal 34QS

Post by Donpop »

Markj:

Are folks overacting to your post. You didn't say anything about tread separation just a small dime size piece of rubber from the tread.
Sounds like you probably hit something on the road. I know there has been some Chinese tire problems but these things get completely out of hand sometimes. I took delivery of a new 2008 Cardinal 34QS this week with "G" rated tires with the same name as yours. If I understand the posts from several forums it is almost impossible to get any American made "G" rated tires.

I fully understand what can happen when a tire goes. A couple of years ago I lost one, probably picked up a nail and overheated, and didn't even know I had lost it until I got home. I had one tire and the other wheel only had a bead on it. I never did see the rubber flying. It took $2000 to repair the underside and replace all the wiring that was torn out. I had 12,000 miles on the tires so I replaced all with Michelin XPS but they were "E" rated tires.

I now also have a Pressure Pro monitoring system, will keep the new tires at 110 lbs, and watch, but will not get so wrapped up in worring about things that I take all the fun out of RVing.

Don
2008 Cardinal 34QS
Kodiak Disc Brakes
2012 Ford F350 SD XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW 6.7
RDS 40 Gal Aux Tank/Tool Box Comb
Double tow 2 Yamaha Grizzly ATVs
markj
Cardinal Owners: Cardinal 31RKLE

Post by markj »

Hi folks: I've been away fishing (22 Chinook's with the kids and friends) in Canada and am finally getting back on the computer.

I did put on the spare as you suggested. The trip went fine--no tire problems on the 5er (boat trailer, yes, but not 5er!) When I got the tire off with the tread piece missing, i looked closely at it and the tire tread is beginning to separate on the inside--small cracks in the interior rubber.

Can those Michelin tires that are rated 110 pounds work ok at 80 PSI? My alum wheels only allow 80.
2007 Cardinal 31RKLE
Hijacker 21K underfloor mount
Fifth Airborne pin box
2006 Ford F350 PSD extended cab
1990 Seaswirl fishing boat!
Kiki (the cat)
gmarker
Cardinal Owners: 2005 29WBLE

Post by gmarker »

The Michelin web site has pressure recommendations for various axle weights. You need to have have your 5'r weighed to determine the correct pressure. I suspect that 80lb's will be plenty, but you should check it out.
GERRY & KAY
2005 29WBLE
20011 FORD F250 LARIOT 6.7 POWERSTROKE
MAX the WONDERCAT
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

markj wrote: Can those Michelin tires that are rated 110 pounds work ok at 80 PSI? My alum wheels only allow 80.
Mark, My Michelin XPS ribs are E rated and are supposed to run at 80 PSI. I believe only the G rated tires run 110 psi.
Bruce
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
jennyt

Post by jennyt »

campswithcritters wrote:
Mark, My Michelin XPS ribs are E rated and are supposed to run at 80 PSI. I believe only the G rated tires run 110 psi.
Bruce
Ditto for us - XPS ribs rated to 80 psi.

Glad to hear your trip went well :D
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

I'm running my XPS ribs at 80# which is the Max Load pressure listed on the tires, and is the recommended pressure for a trailer tire. If the tire you took off is starting to lose the tread, I'd get new tires all around before another long trip. I can't remember where I saw the pictures, here or on the Cardnial L Group, but someone posted pictures of a Karrier tire where the entire tread seperated from the tire at once. I've seen this happen to a trailer I was following on the freeway, and had a GoodYear on the right rear loose the tread on my work truck while doing 70 mph. It rolled up and hit the rear bumper as I got the truck stopped. Ripped up things in the wheelwell too. Good thing the gas fill pipe to the tank was on the left side. On that truck, in one summer, 8 GoodYear tires went bad, 6 on the rear, for everything from a piece of track ballast punching thru the tread of a brand new tire (I work for a railroad), tread speration, sidewall failures. All were E rated tires, wern't overloaded and I keep tires within 3# of the reccommended cold pressure at all times. I wasn't paying for them, but changing tires in the dirt, in the Mojave Desert, in the summer ain't fun.

On my personal vehicles for 30+ years I have used Goodrich LT tires with no problems (and they're the stock tire on Ford FX4 F series trucks). And would have put the Commercial Goodrich LT tires on the 'Bird, except the tire dealer needed to order them. They did have the XPS in the correct size on hand, so I went with them. Lots more expensive, but cheaper then fixing the trailer and buying the new tires, after a blow out.

I considered a larger wheel size to get G rated tires, but there isn't very much clearence between the tires and the body of the trailer, so I dropped that idea. The E rating gives me 12168#, my rig is 12400# (max listed) with around 1200# or so on the hitch using the "eyeball" scale, but should be in the ballpark. We travel light, and dump the holding tanks prior to hitting the road, or first chance we get if dry camping.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

I emailed Forest River when I was having some warrenty repairs done at the dealer, and recieved a phone call from a Forest River rep the next morning. During the consveration I did say I was replacing the Karrier tires, why I was replacing them, and that I am a member of the Cardinal RV Club, where tires are a VERY HOT TOPIC.

I noone at Forest River is monitoring the Forums, I'd be suprised.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Well for my trailer I run mine at 75 lbs. Plenty for the weight plus like I mentioned before we do a lot of high desert rving and I like to have a little room for them to expand. Plus my tire wear is straight across so all seems to be well.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers