Anyone add shelves or add'l cabinet in bathroom?

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
The Buds

Anyone add shelves or add'l cabinet in bathroom?

Post by The Buds »

We have the enclosed bath in our 2008 LE 30RK. We would like to add either another med cabinet or shelves behind the toilet. This would be the back of the entertainment center wall, where the control panel and many of the lights and fans are wired. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to mount anything on this wall? We absolutely love our bird, but did give up some convenient storage options we had in the 2003 RL Sierra.

We've also wondered how we might install a grab bar for the steps up to the bed/bath area.

Thanks,

Karen
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

Ours isn't behind the ent center so will leave that question for our resident experts!

But....we do have a factory grab bar going upstairs to the bedroom...I thought all the units came with them...you might want to contact your dealer on that one.

Congrats on your new rig!! Those enclosed baths are nice!!
KWW

Post by KWW »

Karen,
I just toured the factory yesterday as stated in earlier post and looked at that exact wall closely so I would know about the same cabinet issue. The wall that the cabinet would mount on above the toilet is built of 2 x 2 wood stock with the paneling over the top of it. The studs are what appeared to be about 12" on center and I did not see any wiring in that area that you would have to worry about. I will probably mount a cabinet in the near future myself and plan to use screws of the proper length. Tap around and find a stud and make sure a couple of screws go into the stud, The wall stud on mine is right in the middle of the wall and easily found.
Take care,
Kevin
The Buds

Post by The Buds »

Thanks Kevin! We've just read your post, and Tom is going out with a stud finder to see if things are the same in our unit! Can't imagine why it would be different!

Will keep you posted on our progress! 8)

Karen
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Luizianna wrote:But....we do have a factory grab bar going upstairs to the bedroom...I thought all the units came with them...you might want to contact your dealer on that one.
We do too. I would be very surprise if that's an option or part of an option package.

Rob
F350Cardinal

Grip rail for stairs

Post by F350Cardinal »

About the grip rail. We were concerned as well. My wife tripped going down the stairs at night in the dark and got a couple good bruises. I took the grip rail on the inside of the entrance door and put it by the thermostat and bought a good looking short oak towel rack at Lowes and mounted it in the same place entrance grip rail was located. It cvost me about $14. You would think it was factory installation.
Tim

Post by Tim »

I've got a grip rail on the right as you go up the stairsinto the bedroom. Don't have one on the inside as you come into the rig though.
The Buds

Post by The Buds »

Our inside steps are on the far right, if you're facing the front (bedroom) of the trailer, and the risers are probably as high as those on the stairs outside, difficult for someone with bad knees! (I've asked for the four step replacement for my birthday!) The right wall would be the outside wall; I'm not sure where we could find strength enough to install a grab bar there, aren't these aluminum studs? The left wall is the bathroom wall, with a pocket door, not the strongest wall either. I think next week I'll give the dealer a call and see if a grab bar could be installed on that outside wall somehow. After all, there are heavy cabinets hung on those outside walls!

I'd also wondered about an oak towel bar! Good to know it would work, thanks!

Karen
The Buds

Post by The Buds »

We checked with our dealer, and he says there should be no problem attaching a grab bar to the outside wall. We also have the stud centered behind the toilet, so will be shopping for either a cabinet or shelving for additional storage.

Karen