Extremely Hot Light Fictures

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
Donpop
Cardinal Owners: 2008 Cardinal 34QS

Extremely Hot Light Fictures

Post by Donpop »

We were using the rear 12V "bullet" style lights above the recliners for reading Saturday evening. The lights had been on for approximately two hours and when I went to turn them off they were so hot I could not hang on to the switch long enough to turn them off without burning my fingers. I finally got a kitchen towel and used it to turn off the switches. These were dangerously hot and felt like they would almost scorch the paneling. If we decide to continue using them I'm sure I'll install an auxiliary switch, something like the switch in the slideout that controls the lights above the headboard. Comments???
2008 Cardinal 34QS
Kodiak Disc Brakes
2012 Ford F350 SD XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW 6.7
RDS 40 Gal Aux Tank/Tool Box Comb
Double tow 2 Yamaha Grizzly ATVs
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Mine don't get that hot, of coyrse they prduce some heat as any bulb will, but I've always been able to handle the switches. Got my replacement bulbs at camping world and never had your situation. Correct bulbs installed? Voltage correct? No other ideas.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Post by Future Fulltimers »

I have noticed that those lights do produce a lot of light and heat if left on a while. Your options are somewhat limited because of the lamp socket. You can either install a separate switch or you can replace the fixture, maybe with LED lights.
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch
Me&Margie
Cardinal Owners: '07 31RKLE

Post by Me&Margie »

We must have the same light fixtures on our ceiling fan, as they also get very hot after being on for awhile. Luckily we have a wall switch plus two chain pulls that contol power to the fan and the lights.
Marv & Margie
'07 Cardinal 31RKLE
'06 F-250 PSD S/C 4X2, Hijacker, Line-X.
bop11
Cardinal Owners: 2010 3150 RL
Skype ID: bill.bopra

Post by bop11 »

While looking at a 30 TS at a camper show one time I saw a wall fixture that got so hot the lens melted :shock: . It was mounted on the wall between the couch and the table.
I know the light is only there for looks but after I saw this I'm afraid to leave ours on for very long.
Bill & Penny
2010 3150 RL "The Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2013/67 and have put put 8566 miles on the Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2014 63
Night out in 2015. 88
Nights out so far in 2016. 58
More fun to come!