How To Hook Up Using a Trail Air Pin Box

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

How To Hook Up Using a Trail Air Pin Box

Post by Traveler II »

We just got back from our first test run with our new Bird. We had a good time and enjoyed the trip. Kids and grandkids joined us and celebrated our new toy. During our stay we found a few small things that needed fixing, but most of them I could fix myself.

We started to pack up today to head home and that’s where we ran into some problems.

First, the gasket on one of the slides came loose and was folding itself into the slide. I was able to work it back in so we could get the slide in. The slide will need some work before we can use it again.

Second, and this is were I need some advise, it took us about 2 hours to hook up. We have a Trail Air Pin Box, a Reese 18K Select Plus hitch, and automatic air ride on our pickup. Here is what we were told to do; bring the king pin to just in front of the open jaw at a point about 1 ½ inches below the hitch skid plate, lower the 5th wheel so the Trail Air Pin Box and the skid plate are parallel, back into the skid plate, put the truck in park, put the emergency brake on. But we could not get the safety pin in. The only way we could hook up was to let the air out of the Trail Air and than air up the Trail Air again after we put the safety pin in. We did all this in the rain and weather in the 40’s. It’s sitting in my driveway now, I’m afraid to un-hook it. Maybe tomorrow it will be warmer.

What am I doing wrong?
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
DL35

Post by DL35 »

I'd be interested in hearing info on the hitch. The new '08 33SBLE that is in my sig is not in the dealership yet. I also am having the TrailAir installed at factory. I would hope that I don't have to 'air-down and air-up' each time. Guess I'll find out from someone on this forum????

:(
rosey
Cardinal Owners: 07 Cardinal 34QS

Post by rosey »

We also have a 34QS with Trail Air. This is my procedure.

1. Make sure Hitch pin is removed and JAWS CLOSED not OPEN!! on your hitch.

2. Back up your truck until you hear the pin push open the jaws and LOCK.......you'll know by the sound that the Jaws have locked. Also on my Husky hitch there is a "pin" that visably extends out on the hitch to let you know that the pin is safely secured.

3. With wheel chocks in place put your truck in drive and S L O W L E Y pull forward just a little to make sure that you are locked in place.

Haven't had any trouble with my Trail Air Pin.....the only thing that I can figure by your description is that you had your "Jaws" open instead of CLOSED when you were attempting to hook up and that caused the problems. Good Luck ! ! !
Gayle & Mike Rosenblatt "Rosey"
Our Furry Camping Kids; "Ting-Tang,Saylor,& Kai"
07 Cardinal 34QS;4 Slides;Optional Paint;Bigfoot
07 Chevy Silverado LT3 3500 Duramax Dually Longbed CC;Allison;Titan 62 Gal(Super Ser.)fuel tank
Traveler II
exempt member

Post by Traveler II »

Thanks Rosey, but on the new 18 K Reese Select, you pull the handle back and to the rear locking it open. It will have a about 1.5 inches of the jaw still showing. This is what triggers it shut when you back into it.

Other Reese hitches you leave the jaws closed, it depends on what model you have.

I have been thinking becasue it's new if I have a paint build up and I just need to use it more, or lube it, can't hurt.

Again Rosey thanks for your reply.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Sounds to me like it is just getting in a bit of a bind. I would try extending the 5er jacks a bit, that would give a bit less pressure effectively mimicking letting air out. Just be sure not to bring the jacks up so far that if it slides out it won't drop to the truck bed rails. I often find a 1/2 inch of up or down will get my hitch to latch in.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
tschmalz

Had same problem

Post by tschmalz »

I had the same problem with both the slide and the hitch. My rubber seal was on the top of the main slide. Took in to my dealer and haven't had a problem since.

I have the trail air hitch and the signature series hitch, and had that problem also on my first couple of trips. I couldn't get the handle to slide all the way across so the pin hole would line up. I started leaving my trailer a little higher than what they had in the directions and haven't had a problem since. I always make sure, visually, that the pin is not too high and the jaw is locked.
Traveler II
exempt member

Post by Traveler II »

Thanks tschmalz,

Our Bird is back at the dealer right now and they are working on the slide. I will give your trick a try when we pick it up next week. I know it can't be to hard, I just need to find the right solution.

Thanks Again.
Jim & Jane
Tim

Post by Tim »

I just open the jaw on my Husky EZ Roller and back the TV up to the pin after first raising the rig so hitch and pin are in alignment. Remember that a TrailAir pin droops so you have to raise the rig up higher than your regular 5er pin box. Then I just back into it, and the jaw either closes automatically or I pull and release. Secure pin and check all around.