How Do You Open Only The Slide You Want?

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

How Do You Open Only The Slide You Want?

Post by Traveler II »

Our new 5th wheel has three slides, but only one button to open and close. Is there a way we can open only one or two of the slides?

Thanks for the help.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

If you have the option on the pump there will be three pull up type buttons mounted on top of the pump that will lock out the slides you want to stay in.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Some have knobs that you can pull to disable a slide like Mike an I have. Others have knobs that you can turn. I believe both are optional equipment. Whichever you have will be at the pump and will have a label indicating which slide is effected.

Rob
ratherbcamping

Post by ratherbcamping »

Sorry - but the knobs are not always labeled. On our 32TSLE, there are knobs to turn but no labels. We have played with them, trying to figure out which one controls which slide, but so far haven't had much success. No matter which ones we turn, all three slides seem to go out!
Donpop
Cardinal Owners: 2008 Cardinal 34QS

Post by Donpop »

The first time we went to move out the main slide a foot or so to let us set down for sandwich on our new 34QS I had one heck of a time figuring out the right valves. First, the labels are confusing as marked, and second, when they installed the hydraulic hoses they in no way matched the labels. I shut all valves, peeled off the factory label, and then opened one valve at a time and marked it with words I understood. Good luck.
2008 Cardinal 34QS
Kodiak Disc Brakes
2012 Ford F350 SD XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW 6.7
RDS 40 Gal Aux Tank/Tool Box Comb
Double tow 2 Yamaha Grizzly ATVs
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

ratherbcamping wrote:No matter which ones we turn, all three slides seem to go out!
I have the push/pull type valve and they are very hard to deactivate. I have no experience with the turning type valves but I wonder if they're not being turned enough to deactivate. Just a thought.

Rob
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

I have the turning type valves, and Rob is correct they take multiple turns clockwise to close. They must be completely bottomed or they let some pressure through. Just close a couple and see what still moves.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

I have seen four types of valves, the push / pull up and down seem to be very hard to operate when pump pressure is trapped any direction in the lines which is normal and happens anytime you move the slides.

Some units have the round knurled knob that requires a few turns to open and close.

Some units have quarter turn valves with a flat side pointer knob and are very easy to opperate and has a internal bleed that does not hold pressure.

If one was to really complain of the hard to open problem to Leppert and ask, they would send you the upgraded quarter turn valve block not used on FR product.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Ah George the push pull knobs are not hard to use you just crawl inside the compartment put both hands on the knob and pull until you pass out. :shock:
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin

Post by Olbird »

That is funny Mike, but very true. I think you could hit them with a hammer and they still will not move until the pressure bleeds down.

Lippert knows of this problem, because I had a long talk with a factory rep
before they replace mine.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
david_iona

Post by david_iona »

My coach did not have the slide selector valve installed as an option and instead of ordering the factory slide selector valve I installed a quarter turn high pressure ball valve. The ball valve installs on the top of the pump and is connected to the hydraulic hose you wish to isolate. Easy and inexpensive to install. When we stop for lunch we close the bedroom slide valve and extend the living/kitchen slide only. I do not know how to post pictures on the forum, but if you would like to PM me I will forward pictures of my setup to you. Dave
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin

Post by Olbird »

Here is a picture of the quarter turn valves.

You can install your own block valves for each slide hose at the pump like Dave did, just make sure you use high pressure valves like Dave said.

George & Julie

2022 Ford F450 DRW