New to Forum and to "Red Bird"

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
craig
Cardinal Owners: 08 Red Bird 35RLT

New to Forum and to "Red Bird"

Post by craig »

I finially did it yesterday, picked up are (used) 08 35' bird. What a unit! Left the world of MH's for this great 5th wheel. I have a couple questions concerning tires and axels. I have been reading this fourm along with others concerning axel brands and tire ware. As the unit is used I do not get any factory warrenties etc. I know extended warrenty will be first on my short list. The tires are Load Star w/recommended psi of 110. From reading the posts that seems alittle high. The axels are Al Ko, the forum does not seem to like this brand much. During the PDI looked at tires for ware did not seem to be any, also looked at axel welds mesured all kinds of distances everything seemed ok. How do I know if the axels are bad?
Tire rotation is there a pattern used for this or just come up with your own?

One more thing the unit has central vac (never used) is there an easy way to check the bag, can the canister be moved to a somewhat better location?

Thanks and looking forward to many years with "Red Bird"
Craig
Craig & Lynne
RAM3500 diesel
08 Red Bird 35RLT
Retired and Loven IT
jennyt

Post by jennyt »

Welcome Craig and congrats on your new Bird. Glad that you found us here and I'm sure someone will chime in with some information on the tires/axles and central vac. :D
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Re: New to Forum and to "Red Bird"

Post by campswithcritters »

craig wrote:I finially did it yesterday, picked up are (used) 08 35' bird. What a unit! Left the world of MH's for this great 5th wheel.
The tires are Load Star w/recommended psi of 110. From reading the posts that seems alittle high.

Not really high for a 35 footer, check the face of the tire for recommended max pressure, and at that pressure I am betting they are load range 'G" which is higher than most of us have. Don't run pressure over max on tire. Load Stars have less problems than Kenda Klevers, but I personally would get some name brand tires of correct rating soon.

The axels are Al Ko, the forum does not seem to like this brand much.

There was some faulty axles made by Al-Ko is 2003-2005, I would think those fitted to your 08 are just fine.

Tire rotation is there a pattern used for this or just come up with your own?

Personally I do not rotate, some do but I never notice any distinct wear differences on mine (lotsa miles).

One more thing the unit has central vac (never used) is there an easy way to check the bag, can the canister be moved to a somewhat better location?

Can't help you there, don't have that option.

Thanks and looking forward to many years with "Red Bird"

Welcome to the club!

Bruce
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Welcome to the club Craig! Bruce covered it right about the tires and the axles. I cant help you on the vac system but somebody will chime in.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Central Vacuum

Post by Don Wilson »

Craig,

Welcome to the Cardinal RV Club.

OlBird wrote this to another member on October 9 07 about his new Cardinal. You have to know he is cajun and he leaves out a few words but gives great advice!!
The vacuum cleaner come on when lift the cover that the hose slips in, or when you push the floor sweep door to one side.
If it does not come on check the vacuum system unit mounted in the outside compartment to make sure it is plugged in.

Also check to make sure they install the bag in the unit, sometimes the bag is just sitting inside the unit allowing dust and to go into the motor.
If there is something you are interested use the search from the top of the website and enter your subject and click on search. It is sometimes useful to be specific: example - Central Vacuum will give you several entries while vacuum returns far fewer entries.

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

Welcome to the club and life amoung the Redbirds!!! We are so glad you found our site and hope that you have found it useful and informative. We have a great bunch of people here that share their knowledge many times and as often as needed. In fact if George, Ol Bird, doesn't have an answer....then there aint no answer...lol All kidding aside....the guys on this forum are outstanding with just about any issue you may have....with your bird...or your truck!!
Enjoy and hope to meet you down the road!
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Post by Future Fulltimers »

Welcome to the Club, Craig
Don't have anything else to add to your questions, just thought I would chime it here. :lol: 8)
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch
Shields
Cardinal Owners: 31 RK LE

Post by Shields »

well, when the vac seems to be ineffective it is time to check the bag. Moving the canister can be done, but will need a longer power cord and duct piping but I wonder where you would put it that is any easier but still out of the way. Not that bad to get in there to change it tho.
Al and Nadine
Cardinal 31RK, 2006
2009 Dodge Cummins 3500 Dually.
Dorr, Michigan
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Hello Craig,

Bruce gave you great advice and I would follow up with his recommendations as time and money permits.

The vacuum cleaner has the cover on the end that comes off very easy for changing the filter.
Yes you can move the vacuum canister any place that gives you more room or access, I relocated mine.
The inlet hose is flexible and just pushes in and out like a standard vacuum hose.
I will post a picture for you.

Welcome to the club and feel free to ask anything someone has the answer.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
markj
Cardinal Owners: Cardinal 31RKLE

Post by markj »

I'm wondering why you got no factory warranty when it's a 2008 model?

I'm getting rid of my Karrier tires ASAP--getting perhaps Michelins? Mark
2007 Cardinal 31RKLE
Hijacker 21K underfloor mount
Fifth Airborne pin box
2006 Ford F350 PSD extended cab
1990 Seaswirl fishing boat!
Kiki (the cat)
DougnDawn
Cardinal Owners: 2006 29 RK LE

Post by DougnDawn »

Hi Craig, Welcome to the forum, this forum and others are great and I for one have learned a lot in the two years I've been reading/lurking. Nice to see someone else from Eastern Iowa on the forum. I have the same tires and have not replaced them. We are weekend campers and drive a total of 70-100 miles round trip to the camping ares we frequent at 55 mph. I watch them closely and since we don't put on the miles a lot of people do that are fulltimers, I think we'll be OK. If I was travelling allot I think I'd replace them. Happy Camping and if you get to Sugar Bottom, look around for a couple of Red Birds, our friends and us have two of them and camp together most of the time. Doug
Doug & Dawn
2006 29 RK LE
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

Welcome!

On my Bird the central vac is fairly easy to get access to, unless something blocks the sliding door. Watch it when stepping down the steps at the floor pickup, I didn't and I had to repair the thing. Only took a sheet metal screw to fix it, but it was a clutz thing to do.

I went to the Michilen LT XPS tires, however yours are a different tire load rating (and hopefully not SP).

A couple of things to watch out for:

1. 5er's are tall, mine is 12' 8"

2. I've been towing conventional trailers for many years, however with the different piviot point of the 5er I have to make a special effort to keep an eye on the mirrors when manuvering in tight spots. The 5er cuts the corner tighter then a conventional and it's would be easy to run the side of it into a pole, gas pump or whatever going in either forward or reverse.

We love our Bird, and I'm sure you'll love yours.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Shields
Cardinal Owners: 31 RK LE

Post by Shields »

and it's would be easy to run the side of it into a pole, gas pump or whatever going in either forward or reverse.
and trees :x
Al and Nadine
Cardinal 31RK, 2006
2009 Dodge Cummins 3500 Dually.
Dorr, Michigan
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

Shields wrote:
and it's would be easy to run the side of it into a pole, gas pump or whatever going in either forward or reverse.
and trees :x
Ouch! The reason I added 1 & 2 is I came close to doing that getting into a site with a tree branch over it. Gas pumps can be tricky with a canopy that's low and having to swing a U turn to get into a pump, then backing out. I was in a new area when that happened. And true to form, 5 miles down the road was a RV friendly station. :?
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
wild acres

Post by wild acres »

Hi Craig, and welcome to the club. I know your going to enjoy your bird. And just to show how small the world is, I live in Kentucky, but grew up in Marion--Go Linn-Mar. Again welcome. John & Linda :P