Avoiding winter non use times water freezing

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
markj
Cardinal Owners: Cardinal 31RKLE

Avoiding winter non use times water freezing

Post by markj »

Since my 31RK has been in warranty repair for most of the last month, we would like to camp next week. But, I want to avoid the water pipes/tanks freezing while it is sitting unused at home. I assume opening cupboards and putting a heater inside should do it, but what about the hot water tank--since it's outside? What temperature (minimum for energy conservation) inside the rig should I maintain to avoid this freezing? Any other caveats? Thanks. Mark
2007 Cardinal 31RKLE
Hijacker 21K underfloor mount
Fifth Airborne pin box
2006 Ford F350 PSD extended cab
1990 Seaswirl fishing boat!
Kiki (the cat)
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Post by Traveler II »

When we were full timing we would leave the heat in our house at 40 degrees. Not sure if this helps or not. The other thing is you could leave the hot water heater on.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

This is what I do to winterize, my rig sits in storage so I do not have the luxury of having a heater running on the real cold nights.

1. Drain hot water tank when done blow some air in the system to empty filter housing.
2. Drain fresh water tank
3. Take off cap for water fill low point and blow out
4. By pass hot water heater
5. Open all faucets and blow out
6. Close all faucets then open two low point drains and blow out.
7. Put on caps for low points and flip open valve for antifreeze
8. Turn on pump fill lines then open one faucet at a time to bleed antifreeze through then turn on pump for a second and proceed through the rest of the trailer.
9. When finished turn on pump to build some pressure then close valve for antifreeze so it gets to the back of the trailer.
10. Pour antifreeze in traps.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
markj
Cardinal Owners: Cardinal 31RKLE

Post by markj »

I guess I wasn't clear on what I wanted. My interest is the 5er. We want to have it ready to camp in at any time, but want to protect it from freezing the water lines WHILE IT IS UNUSED AT HOME. I guess I could drain the hot water tank, leaving the rest of the pipes with water in them and run the heater inside the rig. I would rather not run the hot water tank 24/7 while not using the rig. Maybe that's the answer? thanks.
2007 Cardinal 31RKLE
Hijacker 21K underfloor mount
Fifth Airborne pin box
2006 Ford F350 PSD extended cab
1990 Seaswirl fishing boat!
Kiki (the cat)
yogi154

Post by yogi154 »

Markj I Drain the hot water heater and hook up the water line and stand back the junk comes out of the water heater drain quick . Yes I got a shirt full , then turn the by pass valve and blow out the lines with air dump the bottom drains and blow out again . I use R V Anti freeze cheap money

My neighbor doesn't he keeps a heater on in his Motor Home . This year they changed a pile of water lines at the Dealer I'll bet the anti freeze was cheaper , gets cool up here in the windy city

Good Luck Wayne
Rob & Cathy

Re: Avoiding winter non use times water freezing

Post by Rob & Cathy »

markj wrote:I assume opening cupboards and putting a heater inside should do it, but what about the hot water tank--since it's outside? What temperature (minimum for energy conservation) inside the rig should I maintain to avoid this freezing?
Hi Mark, it sounds like you an I have the same needs. I too have the my trailer at home and use it during the winter. I have an electric heater in the trailer that keeps the inside trailer temperature between 40-45 degrees. That's all I do during the winter months.

Rob
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Lessons learned! :( I would recommend blowing out the system as I described earlier. Plus like said above RV antifreeze is cheap, I can winterize my rig in 30 min so I can still use it when needed and re-winterize. The reason for the RV antifreeze is I had a trailer that I thought I blew all of the water out of, BUT a little remained in the water pump and the rest was history. So at the very least I like to put a little through the pump. We don't get that cold here with the exception of a week or two a year but in my case the rig is in storage and I cant hook up to power to run a heater which still would have no effect on keeping the pump and lower lines warm.

Just my .02 worth
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Shields
Cardinal Owners: 31 RK LE

Post by Shields »

the better half says we are going to Denver (Bailey @8200 fee) for thanksgiving and birth of a new granddaughter. So I am busy trying to set up for some cold weather camping in the daughter's driveway. No that is real "winterizing" but I love a challenge.
Al and Nadine
Cardinal 31RK, 2006
2009 Dodge Cummins 3500 Dually.
Dorr, Michigan
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Sounds like an interesting challenge. Since you'll be at your daughter's home I assume you'll be plugged into power. I would plan on using our freshwater tank so you won't have to keep a hose connected. Keep the internal temperature at a comfortable setting and use the electric heat on the water heater.

Rob