Looking at the LE 36-2BH - opinions?

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
dave_in_delaware

Looking at the LE 36-2BH - opinions?

Post by dave_in_delaware »

Hello everyone. I just joined this wonderful forum, in the hopes of finding out more information about a potential purchase. I figured THIS would be the place to come for specific information about the product (although hopefully with not too much bias). :wink:

I won't re-type what I'm looking for. You can read specifics here:
http://cardinalrvclub.org/redbird/viewtopic.php?t=1619

Thanks everyone for your help!
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Post by Don Wilson »

Welcome Dave,

There are a few members who have the Cardinal that you are looking at and will be on at some time in the near future. They will be able to give you detailed answers to the question you have asked.

If you go to the 5th Wheels and TT's section on the website you will see a couple of postings from owners. They are titled 36 2BHLE Arrived and Just ordered a new Cardinal 36 2BH - Questions

You are going about the process very intelligently by shopping and getting answers to your question before purchasing! I think everyone will give you an unbiased opinion of the rig. We have all had minor issues with our trailers and those will be shared with you as well. If you look through the site you will see there are alot of topics that deal with the trailer

We hope you decide on the Cardinal and join us on the road!

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
jamespatrick4

Post by jamespatrick4 »

Dave: Welcome to the club. We took delivery of our 36-2BHLE in April and have used it about 12 times since then, including a one week vacation adn several long weekends. This is our second fifth wheel and fourth RV so we have some background. I could write a small book in response to your question, but I will first answer one of your direct questions: in our unit, there is a curtain of sorts you can pull out to separate the bed from the bathroom sink/shower area.

Regarding the unit itself, I think the only what I would call major issue is the converter went bad. But that is a vendor and doesn't necessarily reflect upon Forest River or the quality of the Cardinal. Other than the converter, thus far we are happy with our unit and feel that it's a good value. Please feel free to PM me and I will answer any specific questions. One thing that sold us on this unit is that it has plenty of counter space in the kitchen (particularly with the flip-up extension) but does not sacrifice floor space in the living area to get the space. Our is framed and wired for a second A/C but after a week in Ocean City Maryland in July, I'm not sure if I will need that. The main A/C cools pretty evenly for us (we like to sleep with fans anyway as opposed to being too cold from the A/C). The unit seems to be well built from a structural perspective. We notice the difference with the extra insulation over what we had in our previous fifth wheel. Looking at your list, we have the booth seats in the dining room. We considered the free-standing table but our kids are 3 and 5 so we opted for the booth. It looks like I can take out the boot and put in a free-standing table later so we might do that. There is a small fold-down desk in under the televisoin nook in the living room but I found that I usually just sit at at the kitchen counter on a bar stool when I work on the laptop.

One thing we added after the fact was a air ride hitch. If I had to do it over again, I would also consider a air ride suspension, given the poor state of the highways in the Virginia/Maryland/Pennsylvania (and Delaware) areas.

About the TV to tow it with, a 1-ton is minimum. We have a Dodge 3500 dually and I like having the extra wheels for the added stability. Also, an exhaust brake is very nice to have on the TV. Do your homework in your search for a TV. I don't have any preferences re: Dodge, Ford, Chevy, I think all 3 can do the job, though I think Ford now edges out the other 2 in towing ability by a bit. The important issue, though, is stopping ability. In your search for a TV, you will probably run across several debates: Ford, Dodge or Chevy (I don't think it matters unless yo have a personal preference-we have a Dodge because we got a good deal). To have gauges or not? (I don't now but will soon, though if you are careful and don't try and drive up a 10 mile stretch of road with a 7% grade, you should be fine.) And I dont' care what anyone else claims, you WILL know that 41'8" rig is bck there! Just a word of cauton, practice turning corners to gauge how much room you have because you will get some swing-out of the rear of the rig. My second trip out I took out a stop sign in my neighborhood with the rear bumper of the rig because of swing out on a turn.

Sorry for the long reply. Again, please PM or email me with specific questions.

James
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Come on James, what is 41' 8" to tow when you have all the comforts of home hook to the truck.

Also you and I need to go back to school and learn hoe to read a tape measure because my stickers say 36' on the side and it will not fit in my 40' building without sticking its nose out a little

Just joking, buy what you want the first time and enjoy life and have fun.

George:
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Diesel Dave 04
Cardinal Owners: 2007 36-2BH

Post by Diesel Dave 04 »

I do I do, I have that unit, We Love it.
we added the king bed, we had it pre wired for the 2nd A/C because i had a A/C heat pump to put there.
I would say you want the 2nd A/c unit. one unit even a 15K is not enough for a 40 foot RV.
We had them delete the carpet from the liveing room and that was the best thing for us with the two small dogs and kids running in and out.
I have a 350 ford 6.0 diesel with 4:10 gears it tows it great.
we have the central vac another great thing we like.
one thing I would cahange if i did it again is I would get the HYD. front landing gear. the eletric jacks are weak at best, im currently removing the eletric jacks and installing all Hyd. cylinders.
any questions for me feel free.
BTW Welcome.
2008 Crew Cab 4X4 DRW 6.4 Turbo 4:10 gears. rebuilt engine at 59,338 miles broken #8 piston,tugging on A 2015 3800 FL full body paint
fix 7.3 , 6.0 AND now 6.4s Powerstroke diesels.
jamespatrick4

Post by jamespatrick4 »

George: I agree; I'm not a whiz at math but 36 surely does not equal 41'8". Maybe it's the addition of the extra stuff in the model name (2-BHLE) that makes it 41'8"!

Diesel Dave: I think we will also get the 2nd A/C next year but it wasn't terrible without it this year. I would have also opted for the central vac but an inexpensive shop vac stored in the washer/dryer closet works just as well as an after-thought. Ditto on the hydraulic landing gear - that little electric motor just seem likes it's straining way too much. (By the way, our TV also has the 4:10 gears and I believe that helps out a lot.)

James
Diesel Dave 04
Cardinal Owners: 2007 36-2BH

Post by Diesel Dave 04 »

The 36 is the inside lenth, My 36-2BH is 40' 8" That is to the tip pf the pin box to the end of the rear bumper. I dont know where the 41 foot is coming from unless cardinal made the 08 longer.
I got my Hyd Front Landing gear working yeasterday, what a dream. now Im Making Mounts for the rear cylinders. :D
2008 Crew Cab 4X4 DRW 6.4 Turbo 4:10 gears. rebuilt engine at 59,338 miles broken #8 piston,tugging on A 2015 3800 FL full body paint
fix 7.3 , 6.0 AND now 6.4s Powerstroke diesels.