Relocated and Installed Different Water Filter Assembly

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
Donpop
Cardinal Owners: 2008 Cardinal 34QS

Relocated and Installed Different Water Filter Assembly

Post by Donpop »

I did a practice winterizing while it was still warm this week. Low point drains and valve behind water heater did excellent job of draining. I blew out with compressed air and got very little out the faucets. I won't pump anti-freeze yet unless we get a very severe cold spell. Because I'm a deer hunter and firearm season does not start here until almost the first of December I sometimes have to winterize my trailer 2-3 times. Ran into one major problem and that was the water filter assembly stuck in the cubby hole through the sliding door. It was back in the corner behind a permanet drain pipe and several PEX lines. Also a "cheapy" with no by-pass valve so after removing the cartridge you would still have to pump the bowl full of anti-freeze before it would go into the mail lines. I'm still a little agile but in no way was I going to fight that situation. I went to Lowe's and bought a Whirlpool Whole House unit, like I had installed in my previous bird, that had a FILTER-OFF-BY-PASS valve on top. The central vacuum system was held down by just two screws so I moved it back another foot and mounted the new filter assemby just inside the sliding door. Now I can drain the bowl, change filters, and/or by-pass by standing on the ground an not having to play snake. Only material required was two longer pieces of PEX and one elbow in addition to the new assembly. Total cost approx $45.00.

By the way, when I went to move the central vacuum system back I noticed the plastic assembly coming out of the vacuum that the hoses attach to was against the side of the wall. I put some rubberized carpeting under the main unit and moved it away from the wall. Much quieter now.

Don
2008 Cardinal 34QS
Kodiak Disc Brakes
2012 Ford F350 SD XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW 6.7
RDS 40 Gal Aux Tank/Tool Box Comb
Double tow 2 Yamaha Grizzly ATVs
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Post by Future Fulltimers »

Sounds like a good job. 8) Can you post any pictures? I might want to take a stab at this.
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch
Donpop
Cardinal Owners: 2008 Cardinal 34QS

Post by Donpop »

Wayne:

Thanks for the comments. I take a lot of pictures and print and send by Email in my Kodak program but I don't have any idea as to how to add a picture to this forum. When one of my kids or grandkids are here I will have to get them to help me. That said, a picture really wouldn't do too much. I merely attached the filter assembly to the wall behind the sliding door just to the left of the cubby hole and ran new PEX from the former location in the right rear corner.

Don
2008 Cardinal 34QS
Kodiak Disc Brakes
2012 Ford F350 SD XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW 6.7
RDS 40 Gal Aux Tank/Tool Box Comb
Double tow 2 Yamaha Grizzly ATVs