Extended Warranty???

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
Tim Whaylen

Extended Warranty???

Post by Tim Whaylen »

Hello All,

I am finalizing the paperwork on our new rv and the dealership wants to know if I want the extended warranty. It is $2250 for 5 years or $2500 for 7 years. I haven't owned an RV before. Any advice on this issue would be appreciated. It sounds like it covers most everything, includes parts, labor, and on-site service calls. If you do not use the service they will refund your money at the end of the term.
RamMan3500

Post by RamMan3500 »

Like others have said on this site....the first year or so is covered by the new rig warranty. Our 30WB has a 10 year warranty on the rubber roof. That said, we did buy the extended warranty for 7 years, partly due to the DW concerns, and my peace of mind. IMO if they refund up to the amount not used then it sounds like a good deal. Others will disagree.
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Post by Don Wilson »

Hi Tim,

Extended warranties are a matter of choice I don't usually get them but I bought one when I bought my trailer. The one you described sounds almost to good to be true, if in fact they will refund all or most of the cost if you don,t use it.

A couple of issues are to make sure what it covers. The salesman told us ours covered everything that broke but when we had a freak wind come up and damage the awning it was not covered because it did not break or stop functioning. Most of them cover things like refrigerator, furnace/heater, hot water heater. Which if you do have a failure will cost in the hundreds to over a thousand for a referigator when installation is included.

What is the deductable? Most warranties have deductables in the $100 to $500 range.

Is the warranty going to be covered nationally or is it only good with their dealership. Things never go out when you are home it usually happens when you are on the road. See if they can give you a list of authorized repair facilities.

Ask the dealer specifics - I will attempt to give you a list of things to ask about that folks have had go out.

Invertor - if it goes out will they replace it.
Hydraulic pump - if it leaks will it be fixed or if it fails will it be replaced.
Landing gear - Drive motors and related items.
Faucets - if the coating comes off.
Slide seals - if they come off or deteriorate.
Plumbing Leaks - if there are leaks that you can not fix yourself.
Cabinet hardware - broken handles or drawer slides - they have a tendency to come out during travel and sometimes bend the mechanisms.
Slide covers or awnings.

These are the things I remember people on the site having problems with.

Forest River has a one year warranty and they had the option where you could purchase a second year for $100. I believe that is still available. Ask your dealer about it, Or call yourself before you go to the dealership. I have listed the warranty persons contact information:

Alana Duncan
Forest River, Inc.
Warranty Dept.
574/206-7620
574/206-2484, fax
aduncan@forestriverinc.com

Good Luck in your decision!!

Welcome to the Cardinal RV Club!!
Congratulations on the purchase of your new Fitfth wheel. I know you will enjoy it once it is yours!!

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Post by Future Fulltimers »

I just canceled ours. Our A/C went out and I called the extended warranty co who told me to call who ever I wanted just make sure they are licensed. When I submitted the bill my claim was rejected; reason. I didn’t have an authorization number and the repair company didn’t have the repairs approved. When I call them and explained that I called their customer service and no authorization number was offered. :evil: Their reply was no number, no reimbursement. Convinced me. Save your money and have the repairs done yourself, if needed. Also Dominic offers an extended warranty that covers their products 3 years after the original expires at a lot less that what your dealer is offering.
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch
Tim

Post by Tim »

Recommend you shop around, there are a lot of extended warranties offered and to me that is a lot of money for five or seven years. Mine was $700.00 for seven years. I read all the fine print on mine, and the ones the local dealers offered and the one I purchased offered the same coverage at $50.00 deductible. The dealer probably gets a good slice of the $$$ when they sell you their extended warranties. Just my thoughts and opinions.
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Hi Tim, welcome to the club.

I don't buy extended warranties. I don't have one on my trailer or any of my vehicles. I take the money that I would have spent on the warranty and put it in the bank. If you need work after the warranty you can do the work yourself or have it repaired using the money in the bank. As we all know insurance companies don't make money by paying claims. If you have any major issues the odds are they will show up in the first year.

Just my 2 cents.

Rob
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Make sure you ask your dealer for the FR one year extended warranty for $100.00.
Many dealers do not offer the FR extended, and you need to purchase it within a few weeks of delivery.

I would get the max of two years from FR and save your money and pay for repairs as you need them.

George:
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW