Another Kenda Tire Question

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Another Kenda Tire Question

Post by Traveler II »

I know that there has been alot written about Kenda tires, and most all of it is negative. We have a 2008 Cardinal and I’m wondering if there any positive comments about these tires.

I sure don’t want to be worrying all the time about these tires; on the other hand I hate to replace new tires if only a few are having problems. If I keep them properly inflated will they be OK, or should I replace them now. I’ve talked to both my dealer and the factory, they tell me not to worry about it.

Sure like to hear from those that have had a good experience.

Thanks.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

I ran mine about 9000 mi with no problems, but the worry was getting me so I changed them out when my warranty expired. Your call.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
yogi154

Post by yogi154 »

Jim

The new one's are supposed to be good a lot of members have had no problems .Just check and check the air .

I had to change mine before I could use the trailer . They were a bad bach the inter liners leaked bad . Kenda bought my tires back right a way ,but it took them two months to act. Seams a shame the are some meatie tires . Put tubes in them and now on a Bob-Cat trailer .

Good Luck Wayne
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Hello Jim,

Read some of the post on this site about the tires, will yours give you problems ? who really knows, the question you need to ask is can I live with the damage repairs if one blows. Can I drive anywhere on a trip and not think about the tire ripping the side off my new Cardinal in the prime time of camping season and six weeks of repairs and non-use of your camper after waiting all winter.

I could not stop thinking the next trip was going to be the blow out trip, so I took the factory new tires off my Cardinal and put name brand tires on that I could feel good about driving on and never looked back. (Piece Of Mind !!!)
Look at it this way the Kendra tires cost less for FR that is way they go with them to keep the unit cost down. We all know they make better tires and many have decided to change them and many choose to live with the Kendra's and other names they make them under, Loadstar, etc.

Like others say it your call.

George:
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Tim

Post by Tim »

Mine lasted 2.5 years before the first one blew with about 5 thousand miles. Replaced all five and sure feel good about it and don't miss the anxiety of waiting for the Karriers to blow. Your rig is not going to go very far in a MN winter so take that money you can't spend on diesel/gas or campground fees and replace the Chinese tires with good made in the USA tires.
Traveler II
exempt member

Post by Traveler II »

Thanks to all of you for your comments. Yes, we do live in Minnesota and because of that, and also we’re retired, we plan the first of the year to head out West for about 3 months with our new Bird. I’ve decided that for piece of mind I will replace these tires.

George and Tim would you please tell me what kind of tires you purchased.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Tim

Post by Tim »

Jim, I put Firestone Transforce HT E rated tires on my rig. Would have rather gone the Michelin route, but at that time and place, it was not possible. Am happy with them so far. The bill came to $650.00. BTW, worked out of the Federal Building at Ft. Snelling back in 70-71.
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin

Post by Olbird »

Hello Jim,

For your size rig and axle ratings go with Michelin, they are great tires that are under rated and will run forever. I had to go with Goodyear because I had to have a higher load rating than Michelin makes. I think the Michelin would carry the load of my rig but I just could not make myself install a tire that is labeled at a lower rating then the rig requires.

George:
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Traveler II
exempt member

Post by Traveler II »

Thanks for the information, I have checked with the Michelin web site and they came back to me and said they do not make a trailer tire for my rig. I think I will check with a local dealer.

PS We're in this area in the 70's, lived in St. Paul at the time.
Jim & Jane
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Traveler II wrote:Thanks for the information, I have checked with the Michelin web site and they came back to me and said they do not make a trailer tire for my rig. I think I will check with a local dealer
True Michelin very limited on trailer tires, however many of us received trailers with LT tires (light truck). The Michelin XPS Rib works fantastically on my rig, over 30,000 miles with no problems and expecting to get 30,000 more miles judging by tread depth (I travel enough I will not go past 7 year age limit). I plan to put the same on my truck soon as it is the strongest and best performing tire I have found.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
gmarker
Cardinal Owners: 2005 29WBLE

Post by gmarker »

Many of the new 5th wheels are now coming from the factory with LT tires.
A lot of them are an extra cost option. I changed my Kendas for the Michelin Ribs and am extremely pleased with the results. Michelin has chosen to not promote trailer use, probably because of there cost, but many of us out here are using them and I haven't heard of anybody that is not happy with them.
GERRY & KAY
2005 29WBLE
20011 FORD F250 LARIOT 6.7 POWERSTROKE
MAX the WONDERCAT
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin

Post by Olbird »

Hello Jim,

Bruce is correct Michelin calls them light truck, The Michelin XPS Rib LT tire is what everyone is using provided you not over the tire rating and your rig shold not be over the ratings.

If you notice I said in a different post Michelin is under rating these tires because if you go to any trailer forum site you will find great reviews for these tires. They are high in cost but as Bruce has stated and he should know he has pulled his Cardinal across this great country on those Michelin's with no problems. Many others also on this site also stand behind them. Many are using Firestone Transforce so it your choice.

George:
George & Julie

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

10k on my Michelins and no problems so far plus had over 30k on the set I had on my last 5er
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
markj
Cardinal Owners: Cardinal 31RKLE

Michelin tires

Post by markj »

You could easily substitute my name for George's first reply!!!! I feel the exact same way. My Karrier's had about 6000 miles on them; one of them lost a piece of tread, started to split, so I just replaced them with Michelin XPS Ribs. They are slightly larger (85 vs. 80s) and I've just driven them 10 miles so far, but they "look" so much beefier.

Last summer on a trip to Yellowstone, I had the mirrors pointed at my Karriers alot--and I DON'T want that worry anymore! Cost--about $800. Mark
2007 Cardinal 31RKLE
Hijacker 21K underfloor mount
Fifth Airborne pin box
2006 Ford F350 PSD extended cab
1990 Seaswirl fishing boat!
Kiki (the cat)
snuffy

Post by snuffy »

I use the Firestone Transforce HT's on my Duramax and have been pleased with them.