automatic awning

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
racicot

automatic awning

Post by racicot »

we have the automatic awning on our 2008 Cardinal travel trailer - just push a button and out it goes. But we can't open our door once the awing is out without hitting the awning. Am I missing something here? Is there a way to raise the awning up higher once it is fully extended? thank you, sharon
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Post by Traveler II »

We have a new Cardinal with the automatic awning option. We only tried it a couple of times before we had to put our new Bird into winter storage it worked great and didn’t hit the door. I wouldn’t think that your door should hit the awing, I’ve have it checked out with your dealer.

Merry Christmas

Jim
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
rosey
Cardinal Owners: 07 Cardinal 34QS

Post by rosey »

There's something wrong with your awning's adjustment......should not hit your door. We have a 34qs with the auto-awning and there is plenty of clearance.
Gayle & Mike Rosenblatt "Rosey"
Our Furry Camping Kids; "Ting-Tang,Saylor,& Kai"
07 Cardinal 34QS;4 Slides;Optional Paint;Bigfoot
07 Chevy Silverado LT3 3500 Duramax Dually Longbed CC;Allison;Titan 62 Gal(Super Ser.)fuel tank
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Hello Sharon

What most are missing from your post is that you have a Travel Trailer, the 5th wheels top mounting awning rail is very high. I have the A&E auto awning also and guess what mine is too high when rolled out, The A&E Weather Pro awning is designed without arm adjustments to raise and lower. All the auto awnings go in and out without being able to change the height and angle, they are designed like this to close automatic in high winds.

I know that the roof on the travel trailers is not as high as the 5th wheels, maybe the factory did not think of this height problem.

If it is not hitting too bad they make wheels that go on top of the door just for this problems to prevent cutting of the awning. Also they make awning ribs that will bow the awning fabric up away from the door.
Unless the awning is sagging or has a mechanical problem your dealer is going to have to raise the complete awning rail closer to the roof if possible or change the arms if A&E make different ones to change the open height to clear the door.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Ironman

Automatic awning

Post by Ironman »

We thought about an automatic awning when we ordered our 34QS but we opted not to get one because when it is raining just a bit, we still like to have our awning out as long as the wind & rain aren't too bad. The manufacturer said there is no inbetween with it.