winterization again

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
mork

winterization again

Post by mork »

I winterized my bird. I have a question on the line running from the fresh water tank to the pump. I have a quick winterization kit, and pumped antifreeze through the system. I opened all four low point drains (two at the rear, and two in front of the driver side tires) prior to pumping the antifreeze.

My question is, how is the line from the fresh water tank to the pump either drained, or filled with antifreeze, as the quick winterization kit has a valve which is turned when using it, that bypasses the fresh water line from the fresh water tank? Do the low water drains also drain the line in addition to draining the fresh water tank?
Donpop
Cardinal Owners: 2008 Cardinal 34QS

Post by Donpop »

Mork:

The answer is yes. I also have the water tank is rear and sounds like yours is about the same set up. During our PDI dealer rep made a specific reference to the second drain in rear and that it drained the line going to the pump in the front of the trailer. You should be good to go. I did exactly the same thing, except I shot some air to mine first and then the antifreeze. When I removed the plug to the water heater it was completely empty. Was very pleased with how everything drained good.

Don
2008 Cardinal 34QS
Kodiak Disc Brakes
2012 Ford F350 SD XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW 6.7
RDS 40 Gal Aux Tank/Tool Box Comb
Double tow 2 Yamaha Grizzly ATVs
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Post by Don Wilson »

The rear drains, One drains the tank and the one that is under pressure drains the supply line to the pump. Your fresh water tank should be drained if you get temps below freezing for an extended period of time, which I know you get during the winter in Utah. It also does not allow the water to get staganat and create stinky smelling water in the spring.

I dumped a quart of antifreeze in the tank last year when we had temps around 17 degrees for a week in California last year. I would not recommend doing this as it took three flushes to get the tank and water system cleared out last spring.

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5