Water Heater By-Pass Valve

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
Robert

Water Heater By-Pass Valve

Post by Robert »

Am I the only person bothered by the fact that the water heater bypass valve is so inaccesible? On this 30TS, it is located under and behind the kitchen sink on the back side of the water heater. It is blocked off by cabinets to the point that I cannot see it and to operate it I have to blindly feel for it. Am I missing something?
Shields
Cardinal Owners: 31 RK LE

Post by Shields »

That is so you stay limber and flexible. A no-charge option.
Al and Nadine
Cardinal 31RK, 2006
2009 Dodge Cummins 3500 Dually.
Dorr, Michigan
Me&Margie
Cardinal Owners: '07 31RKLE

Post by Me&Margie »

On ours I have to completely remove a bottom drawer on one of the kitchen cabinets to get to the valve. Yea, its a nuisance, but I figure what the heck, the only time I'm going to have to deal with it is when I winterize, and then only if I decide to pump the pink stuff thru the system.
Marv & Margie
'07 Cardinal 31RKLE
'06 F-250 PSD S/C 4X2, Hijacker, Line-X.
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Hello Robert,

Check out the Swan RV Auto winterizing system, the hot water heater uses a 12 volt three-way valve that by-passes by push button and a 12 volt three-way valve at the pump suction going to a 3 gallon antifreeze tank.

Cost about $400 but works great, check out the vidio on this website, you can turn on and off the switches in the vidio and watch the antifreeze flow out the sink. www.centormall.com/Swan_ind/index.html

I built my own system that works close to this one but mine also removes the antifreeze from the lines back to the tank when dewinterizing.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Donpop
Cardinal Owners: 2008 Cardinal 34QS

Post by Donpop »

Both on our previous 32CKT and on our new 34QS to get to the by-pass valve you have to remove the square trim cover panel by prying off the screw covers and then removing four screws to get the panel off. My first project on the last trailer and on this one was to go to Lowe's and get matching cabinet hinges and pressure catch. I still skin up my arm getting to the valve but at least all I have to do is open the door to gain access.

Don
2008 Cardinal 34QS
Kodiak Disc Brakes
2012 Ford F350 SD XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW 6.7
RDS 40 Gal Aux Tank/Tool Box Comb
Double tow 2 Yamaha Grizzly ATVs
rosey
Cardinal Owners: 07 Cardinal 34QS

Post by rosey »

Donpop wrote:Both on our previous 32CKT and on our new 34QS to get to the by-pass valve you have to remove the square trim cover panel by prying off the screw covers and then removing four screws to get the panel off. My first project on the last trailer and on this one was to go to Lowe's and get matching cabinet hinges and pressure catch. I still skin up my arm getting to the valve but at least all I have to do is open the door to gain access.

Don
I also have a 34qs, yep it is a pain in the #utt to get to but I simply reach thru the cabinet until I can get my fingers on the valve.........I had the very same thoughts that it is a very poor design layout...have also considered putting hinges and pressure catch on the side panel to gain axcess.
Gayle & Mike Rosenblatt "Rosey"
Our Furry Camping Kids; "Ting-Tang,Saylor,& Kai"
07 Cardinal 34QS;4 Slides;Optional Paint;Bigfoot
07 Chevy Silverado LT3 3500 Duramax Dually Longbed CC;Allison;Titan 62 Gal(Super Ser.)fuel tank
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Post by Don Wilson »

My bypass valve is much easier to reach on my 29WB Lx as I only have to open a door under the referigator but like the rest of you I have to feel for it ( still haven't seen it) as it is about 14 inches from the door opening.

:idea: Lets hear ideas where a better location on each unit would be and maybe as a group we could suggest them to FR. Then at least maybe our future members could benefit!

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
Double D's
Cardinal Owners: 2013 3675 Cardinal 5th Wheel

Post by Double D's »

I just asked hubby what he does to winterize, as he had never complained about the contortions you guys are going through to do yours! He says our bypass is accessible inside the sink cabinet door, where I have the trash can. There is a partial wall in there and you can reach it through there. However, he doesn't bypass ours and just blows the whole thing out with the air compressor. I open the faucets one at a time to make sure they are not spitting, while he is blowing out the lines. Then I pour the pink stuff down the drains. That way, there is never any question of there being any of that stuff in our water when we de-winterize. Donna
http://www.ddbalfanz.blogspot.com/

Double D's - Dennis and Donna

2013 Cardinal 3675- The "Double D Retreat"
Trail Air Pin Box and Suspension
2007 Chevy Dually 3500, Duramax
Rallies - 20
Days out in 2015- 145
Days out in 2014 - 71
Days out in 2013 - 187 Alaska
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Yep, ours is easy to get to also but have never used it.

Rob
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Rob & Cathy wrote:Yep, ours is easy to get to also but have never used it.

Rob
Yep much eaiser then my last 5er I use this one every winter.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers