Weak shelves,closet floors, and bed frame.

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
tagilles

Weak shelves,closet floors, and bed frame.

Post by tagilles »

Does anyone else have a problem with some cabinet shelves, master closet floor, and the master bed frame bending or collapsing? I have a 2007 35tbh-tt and the shelves in the storage closet in the main room won't hold more than a dozen canned goods before the shelves collapes. The master closet floor has the same problem, a few pairs of shoes and it's bowed down pretty far. Also since the wife and I bought a pillowtop mattress for the master room, the plywood under the bed now bows badly too. Any suggestions? Thomas.
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

Wow....that doesn't sound good!! We have a king bed...no problems The master closet floor stores everything but shoes!! Vacuum cleaner, crock pots, small travel ironing board, step stool...etc etc....the shelves have chinet paper plates, bowls, extra papertowels...all big packs of each as we buy that stuff from Sam's in bulk.

I wouldn't think the tt's were built any different than the FW's...I know Squire has a tt...maybe he can help you. Hope you find a solution soon!!!
tagilles

Post by tagilles »

Ya I think a few steps were left out when FR built our unit. I also have a plumbing problem with the galley sink, I don't think the air vent is hooked up at all.
Double D's
Cardinal Owners: 2013 3675 Cardinal 5th Wheel

Post by Double D's »

Tom (or Amber), we have just this past weekend addressed the 'weak cabinet floors' in our kitchen. While adding new recessed lighting under the kitchen cabinets, we saw how much the dishes had made the cabinet bow down, so after removing the bottom panel, hubby put 1" thick plywood bracing (3 of them about 3" wide) and 'toenailed' them (screwed) into the 1"X1" framing, before adding the lights and a new panel under there. I use Corelle dishes, and glass casserole bowls, so there is some weight in the cabinets. We also have a pillowtop mattress and hubby removed the whole framework and cut it down to accommodate the pillowtop depth. When he put the new bottom in, he used thicker plywood, and it rests directly onto the framework of the slide. We have not had a problem in the front bottom of the closet. LIke Linda's, we also store the vac, bottles of wine, or water, or the space heater, etc in that closet. We use the areas under our benches for canned good storage, as we do not have a pantry in our unit. Some others have put new shelving in the pantry or added more supports to the shelves.
I think part of the problem is that the manufacturers of these rigs try to keep things as lightweight as possible, not taking into account the way we REALLY use them - needing some areas beefed up, etc. I hope you can find a fix. If you are handy, you should be able to do some of these things yourself. I am sure others on here have better advice than this. Best wishes for safe travels! Donna
http://www.ddbalfanz.blogspot.com/

Double D's - Dennis and Donna

2013 Cardinal 3675- The "Double D Retreat"
Trail Air Pin Box and Suspension
2007 Chevy Dually 3500, Duramax
Rallies - 20
Days out in 2015- 145
Days out in 2014 - 71
Days out in 2013 - 187 Alaska
Shields
Cardinal Owners: 31 RK LE

Post by Shields »

I also strengthened my pantry shelves, some with plywood inserts and the two that I just didn't want to tear apart I drilled holes in the bottom piece and sprayed insulating foam into the holes. That bridged the 2 layers well and they seem to be much stronger.

The closet shelves I had to put additional brace legs to keep them up. FR seems to think that screws into foam walls are stable. They aren't.
Al and Nadine
Cardinal 31RK, 2006
2009 Dodge Cummins 3500 Dually.
Dorr, Michigan
Double D's
Cardinal Owners: 2013 3675 Cardinal 5th Wheel

Post by Double D's »

Great idea about the foam! I had forgotten that someone posted that a while back. Might just have to do that on a couple of other areas. Thanks!
http://www.ddbalfanz.blogspot.com/

Double D's - Dennis and Donna

2013 Cardinal 3675- The "Double D Retreat"
Trail Air Pin Box and Suspension
2007 Chevy Dually 3500, Duramax
Rallies - 20
Days out in 2015- 145
Days out in 2014 - 71
Days out in 2013 - 187 Alaska
tagilles

Post by tagilles »

Thank you for the great suggestions. I figured I'd just have to bite the bullet and reinforce the shelves myself with wood. The foam idea is great too and I'll probably use that in a few areas too. Thanks for all the help. Thomas.