Considering a 29rkle - have a couple of questions

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
lakejumper

Considering a 29rkle - have a couple of questions

Post by lakejumper »

Hi, I've been lurking on the website and have gotten some good info so far. You are a great group of folks. I currently have a Forest River Wildcat 27RL. I have been looking at many brands and floorplans that have two slides and preferably a rear kitchen and king size bed. We need to buy a pre-owned RV to meet our budget. It's a tough order to fill and stay within the tow and hitch weight for our tow vehicle. I found a slightly used 2006 Cardinal 29RKLE. It seems as though most of you who have this model, like it. It has the floorplan that I like with the rear kitchen and king size bed. The bad part is that it's located about 360 miles away and I am hoping to answer a couple of questions (that didn't get answered by the owner over the phone) before I drive that distance to see it. It has the refridgerator along the back wall and I was wondering if that has been a problem with inside breakage from bouncing. There apparently are shocks/suspension on the trailer but the owner couldn't provide any more details since they are the second owner. I'm not sure if Cardinal included it when ordered or if it's an add-on. I would put an air pinbox on it as I already have one on the Wildcat. It also has a king size bed and I was curious if there's enough room to step out of bed, on the side by the wardrobe, as most have queen size beds. I'd like to keep the king size bed. Some RVs are very tight with the king size bed and also have a small step next to the bed. Lastly, does this model have the enclosed valves for the tanks or are they located by the drain pipe? We will be towing it with a 2004 Chevy 2500HD Duramax 4X4 and will most likely put air bags on it to handle the extra pin weight. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
jennyt

Re: Considering a 29rkle - have a couple of questions

Post by jennyt »

lakejumper wrote: It also has a king size bed and I was curious if there's enough room to step out of bed, on the side by the wardrobe, as most have queen size beds. I'd like to keep the king size bed. ciated.
Firstly - Welcome and hopefully you will get all your questions answered. I can only answer to the King bed seeing as we have one! :wink: I've seen models with both the King and the Queen. Of course there is definitely more room to maneuver around the queen. I can get around the side of the bed fine by the wardrobe to get in and out of bed. When you make the bed there is definitely limited room on that side to pull a fitted sheet over the mattress and I have to admit that I often have to get Scott to help me as it's not an easy thing to accomplish. That said, if we had to do it over again, we would still get the King, to me the minuses outweight the plus of having the King - it really makes it a home from home for us.

Good luck with whatever you decide . That model is VERY popular - I don't think you would be disappointed with it.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

I have a 2006 RKLE the rk stand for rear kitchen. We love it plus we have the king size bed and no problems getting around it. Im 6'2" and 235 lbs so im not real tiny. The only problem with the fridge in the back is when the slide is in you cant get to it. Just asked Susanna if she has any problems making the bed and she said no.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

We have a king size bed, and I sleep on the side by the closet. I'm no skinny mini but I have no probs getting in or out and none making up the bed either. We love ours!

Oh yeh....Welcome to the club!!!
Double D's
Cardinal Owners: 2013 3675 Cardinal 5th Wheel

Post by Double D's »

Good Evening, Lakejumper! We have that same floor plan, and LOVE it! Ordered in March of '06, but came in June of '06 as an '07.. Can't get to the fridge without running the slides out, as Mike says, but that is no big deal for us - we just pull into a spot large enough to run the slides out, and back on our way. We have never had a refrigerator door jump open while running down the road, or anything broken. The Trail Air and suspension really seem to take care of the bouncing that we had heard about with rear kitchens. In fact, I have things sitting on my counters at all times (with the rubber grid things underneath) and they don't even slide off the counter while traveling. We have the queen bed, but others have answered your questions about that.. LOTS of counter space and storage in this floor plan.. It was a MUST have, as I love to cook, even when traveling. Good luck in your decision, and hope to see you down the road. Donna (and Dennis)
http://www.ddbalfanz.blogspot.com/

Double D's - Dennis and Donna

2013 Cardinal 3675- The "Double D Retreat"
Trail Air Pin Box and Suspension
2007 Chevy Dually 3500, Duramax
Rallies - 20
Days out in 2015- 145
Days out in 2014 - 71
Days out in 2013 - 187 Alaska
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Post by Don Wilson »

Lakejumper,

Welcome to the Cardinal RV Club!

Good luck on the purchase of the Cardinal! If there is anything any of us can do to help you with information about the Bird that you are looking don't hesitate to get on the website and Ask??

What are the issues with the trailer you are looking at? If they are shocks they will look just like the shocks on a car or box trailer. This is what I have on my 04 29WBLX. The center point suspension system by trailair is mounted between the spings behind the tires. If you go to Fifth Wheel section and the posting of Suspension Upgrade started Mar 07 and go to the last post on page one by Ol'Bird and you will see a picture of the center point suspension system. Hope this helps out!

I noticed you are from Northern California and we are having a CA/NV Rally. Please check it out in the Southwest Rally section Check Out the Cardinal Rally we are having in Jackson, California on April 25, 26, 27, 2008. Please join us if you can!

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
lakejumper

Post by lakejumper »

Thanks for the warm welcom and all of your responses. I'm looking forward to seeing the RV this weekend. Just a little concerned about pulling it through the mountains on the return trip as there is light snow in the forecast! That is if we buy it. I'll keep you posted. Oh, just one more question...does this model have the walk-in level floor shower or does it have the tub combination or lip to step over?

Thanks again!

Hilary
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Mine has the shower but a lip to step over
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Double D's

Post by Double D's »

Ours has the lip edged shower as well.. I believe that the tub one was an option when we ordered ours, so don't know what you will find out when you get there. Good luck! And drive safely. Donna

Rallies - 20
Days out in 2015- 145
Days out in 2014 - 71
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Hello Hilary,

Welcome to the club, Cardinal gives you a choice of two types of shower / tub, the shower only has the 4" small step over to get in the shower with a glass door. The garden tub type has about a 15" high tub with shower also with a glass door.

Just depends on what was ordered when the unit was built, good luck and do not worry about a little lite snow on the highways these thing pull great.
If ice conditions exist look for a place to test the new camper out until it clears.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
lakejumper

Post by lakejumper »

Thanks George and Julie. I was also wondering if this model has windows that open in the bedroom slide-out or if the window above the dresser opens and has a screen. I know that it usually is an emergency exit but sometimes they have a screen so you can leave it open.
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Post by Don Wilson »

Hilary,

There are two small windows, one on each side of the Walls of the bed slideout. They slide up and down. The window over the dresser in my unit has crank out windows and has screens on the inside.

Good luck on the purchase of the trailer! I hope the trailer is just what you are looking for and you work out the details with the current owner!

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
Double D's

Post by Double D's »

Hilary, our Rig has thermopane windows and they do not come with the slide up or crank out style. Our small one on either side of the bed and the one over the dresser are all are "slide by" windows, as are all of the windows in the camper. We have found however that with the ceiling vent open, even on the hottest nights, with running the 'Fantastic Fan' in the kitchen area it is plenty comfortable in the bedroom for sleeping. We really wanted the Thermopane windows and I was a bit upset when our rig came and they were not awning type. But this was a tradeoff and we are VERY glad we did order out the thermopanes. At any rate, the windows beside the bed are pretty small. Donna

Rallies - 20
Days out in 2015- 145
Days out in 2014 - 71
david_iona

Post by david_iona »

We also have the 29RKLE (05) model and love the rear kitchen. No major issues when towing except when we have not fully latched a rear cabinet door or some other failure on our part to properly secure the coach for travel.
I have recently downsized the king bed to a queen because we wanted more walk around space and really had no need for a king bed. Our shower has the garden tub it is about 10 inches up from the floor and not an issue at this time for us. I am sure I could easily convert from a garden tub to standard shower stall in the future if the need arises. We have made some small changes to our coach as have some of the others on this site. I lowered the TV cabinet down to where the desk used to be and converted the old slot to storage with shelves. I added a quarter turn ball valve to the slide pump to isolate the bedroom slide when we stop for lunch and extend just the larger slide out. They are easy and fun to work on and customize to your preferences and there are lots of fine folks here to help guide the way.
Good Luck. Dave